Buffy?

Discuss the show, your fav characters/couples, any spoilers...everything about your OTHER favourite show. Please remember when you're posting spoilers to title them so those who don't want to be spoiled don't accidentally read them.

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

femmenerd
Addicted Roswellian

Buffy?

Post by femmenerd »

Is it really possible that there is no Buffy thread in this forum?
A Rose Is True Blue
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by A Rose Is True Blue »

Well, I guess there is now. :wink:

-Erin
femmenerd
Addicted Roswellian

Post by femmenerd »

I love Buffy. I wrote 4 papers about it in college. It's just so well written and the entire fictional universe is so well structured. And I love how it has such extensive pop culture references.

This may sound weird but Buffy has gotten me through some hard times. I got my heart crunched pretty badly awhile back and then I watched the first 5 seasons of buffy on DVD and FX - just got totally immersed for about two months. When I came back to reality I wasn't depressed anymore. Buffy helped me weather the storm.
AmberEyed51
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: In Colorado, wearing my foil hat, waiting for the aliens to take me away...

Post by AmberEyed51 »

Femmenerd- It seems we have many things in common...'k two, but still ;)

I absolutely LOVE Buffy. I started watching it in '99, then followed it up to it's 7 year end.

I own all the dvd's of course, and I watch them all the time. I've always been a big Spike & Buffy fan.

It's such a claver show, I think Joss shod've written for Roswell, he could've taken it to amazing places. Buffy was so deep, it was much more than some shallow teenage show, which is what many saw in the beginning. It's original, it's witty, it's passionate, it's dark, it's all the things we love in our t.v. shows. I'm also a big Angel watcher.

I'm really glad someone started a thread about this. I had never seen one before, and I had always wondered. :D
<center>Image
"It's about reaching out to people, and showing them there's still hope left in this world."
Glenn Quinn 1970-2002
Glenn, You're Always With Me</center>
femmenerd
Addicted Roswellian

Post by femmenerd »

Nice to see you again Thea. Isn't it bizarre that there was no "Buffy" thread?

I also have watched every Angel episode in addition to every Buffy episode. And I'm totally a Spuffy shipper, all the way. Actually the only fanfic that I've read that wasn't Rosfic has been a few Spuffy stories here and there.

I have some weird theories about why I'm more interested in Rosfic than in Buffy fic even though Buffy is my favorite show. I think that the combination of an amazing premise and characters with a relatively uneven exectution is what makes Rowell so ripe for Fanfic - there are so many loose ends.

Whereas Buffy is so complete as it is.

I get hopping mad when people underestimate the brilliance of Buffy. Snooty bastards. I'll have you know though that with very few exceptions, every feminist film professor that I had in college was totally obsessed with Buffy.

*sticks out tongue at the unenlightened*
Jenna1230789
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Jenna1230789 »

When I got mono, which eventually turned into chronic fatigue syndrome, I was pretty much homebound, and I watched a lot of tv, and buffy was on every day on fx, and I eventually became a really big fan of buffy. Buffy and Roswell are my two favorite dramas. I like the OC too but you can't beat roswell or buffy, there's just no way.
When I close my eyes I can see for miles. There's comfort in my dark seat and chaos in the aisles. These eyes are not your eyes. And these eyes are not the color that your arid eyes might be. No, I was not around when those eyes of yours decided so; I refuse to kneel before the sights you choose to see. (Incubus)
femmenerd
Addicted Roswellian

Post by femmenerd »

Yeah I watch the OC too but I really like the monsters and aliens :D

I love the way that shows like Buffy and Roswell use scifi stuff as metaphors for life and relationships.
AmberEyed51
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: In Colorado, wearing my foil hat, waiting for the aliens to take me away...

Post by AmberEyed51 »

I think the big turning point for me was i the second season of Buffy, when all that Buffy/Angel pain came into center. Now I'm a huge Spuffy shipper, but I think the seond season was my favorite, just because it was so romantic and melancholy. I think around the second season finale I realized this wasn't just some teen show, this is strong, and real, and amart, not many shows can still do that.

Another episode I think was a big realization for me was "Fool For Love" It showed how almost everything in the show is one big metaphor, and in Joss-Land, nothing is what it seems.

Many kids thought it was about a girl who paints her nails and takes tests inbetween saving the world, but it was so much more.
No doubt my friend poked funat me when I tended to wonder "What would Buffy do in a situation like this?" but it has been one of the greatest shows of all time, and I'll never forget it, or what it taught me.
<center>Image
"It's about reaching out to people, and showing them there's still hope left in this world."
Glenn Quinn 1970-2002
Glenn, You're Always With Me</center>
femmenerd
Addicted Roswellian

Post by femmenerd »

Here here Thea! I second all of that.
in Joss-Land, nothing is what it seems.
The incredible use of metaphor is my favorite thing about Buffy. That and the wide range and depth of the cultural references.

I love second season as well. I actually just got the DVD set as a birthday present and I'm excited to watch it again.

There were really good plot arcs in all the seasons but season 2 was amazingly well constructed with the way that the first half builds up the buffy/angel romance and then it hits this climactic point and he becomes the villain. so good.
Doublestuf
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Doublestuf »

femmenerd wrote:Nice to see you again Thea. Isn't it bizarre that there was no "Buffy" thread?

I also have watched every Angel episode in addition to every Buffy episode. And I'm totally a Spuffy shipper, all the way. Actually the only fanfic that I've read that wasn't Rosfic has been a few Spuffy stories here and there.

I have some weird theories about why I'm more interested in Rosfic than in Buffy fic even though Buffy is my favorite show. I think that the combination of an amazing premise and characters with a relatively uneven exectution is what makes Rowell so ripe for Fanfic - there are so many loose ends.

Whereas Buffy is so complete as it is.

I get hopping mad when people underestimate the brilliance of Buffy. Snooty bastards. I'll have you know though that with very few exceptions, every feminist film professor that I had in college was totally obsessed with Buffy.

*sticks out tongue at the unenlightened*
Damnit. I was so going to bed.

Have you ever read another person's post and wondered if you hit your head, developed a slightly alternative version of self, went on-line and posted about Buffy on a Rosfic board? No? Well, it's pretty interesting experience.

Buffy, Buffy, the utter love I have for Buffy.

I come at Buffy from a religious studies perspective (by the by, What Would Buffy Do, name of a nice new book that came out - and graced the cover of Christian Century - about Buffy as a spiritual guide... yes, I own it) and let me tell you, my profs loved it too. I never got a chance to do a Buffy paper in undergrad but now in my last year of grad school I finally am. Yay. I'm looking at the concept of powers and principalities specifically in Season 7.

Anyway, love, love, love me some Buffy. But I don't really do Buffy fanfic either. Your reasoning why you're more interesting in Rosfic than BtVS fic, I couldn't help but deeply relate. That's the way I feel, yet never have found the energy or brain cells to put into words.

And the getting mad thing... I don't just get mad, I get even. I smile and nod and then whip out all the major critics who have adored Buffy, the various academic books on Buffy, the scholars I know and they know who I happen to know love them some Buffy, and then, the meanest thing of all, I try and get 'em hooked. Oh yeah, I've turned several of these non-believers into true followers.

By the way, if you're ever really bored and you've got another Buffy fan around, Buffy Quote Hangman. I had this long and so dull class with another Buffy fan... I actually looked forward to the two hours I'd spend listening to monotone man bore us all because of that game. Good times, good times.

Last note - so glad to see feminist scholars loving the Buff. That last episode - the sharing of power and all of that - oh, it just got me.
A better world has got to start somewhere. Why not with you and me?