Calling All Nurses!

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

behrlyliz
Addicted Roswellian

Calling All Nurses!

Post by behrlyliz »

I’m a new graduate nurse and I’m looking for any and all advice concerning taking the NCLEX. I’m nervous as heck about it. A lot of my classmates are doing Kaplan or Sylvia Rayfield, but unfortunately I don’t have the funds to take prep courses. My goal for taking the NCLEX is to get 75 questions and pass. I think I’ll fall out if I get 200 questions. Any advice on how to achieve that without taking prep courses would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it difficult to find a job? I’ve applied for a few jobs but have yet to hear anything. Call me crazy but I thought there was a nursing shortage. I want to do labor and delivery but everyone keeps saying to do at least 6 months to a year of MedSurg. I would rather eat glass than work on a MedSurg floor…but if I had to do MedSurg, it would definitely be Peds. Is it really necessary to do MedSurg first? Is it impossible to fine-tune my assessment skills doing L&D?
Team Framing Hanley
My Fics~My Challenges~My Space
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Fehrbaby, pointed me over here- I honestly, don't think I've even been to this forum until today!

A little hx about me- I'm an RN, BSN, CPN. I've been a nurse for about 8 years and I've worked most of it at the same hospital. I'm a float nurse, so I work on all the MedSurg floors including the PICU, ICN, and the ER.

Okay, enough about me- I hope this helps!

Study tips:
-The prep courses are nice, (I took about a day of the five day course) but they are not needed. It just helps you focus your studies... I'd at least purchase an NCLEX review book.
-Review a little bit of everything, concentrating on your weakest subjects.
Basically, if you don't know it, you won't know it for the exam, so don't stress yourself about knowing everything.
-The best thing for you to do is to take as many practice questions that you can. I've known more that did better, just because they are good test takers and not because they are a good nurse...
- Take a deep breath and relax. You are already psyching yourself out!
I took all the questions and I passed- I wasn't expecting to take them all, but you have to be set to take them all, you just never know.

Job
-There is a nurse shortage, but they still prefer that you have experience somewhere first and the better the hospital, the harder it takes to get in.
-L&D was not one of my favorites- but, I'm sure most say that about Peds too! I'd suggest that you do work on a MedSurg floor first to work on your overall assessment skills- why do you not want to work on a MedSurg floor? Did you have a bad experience?

Well, um- do you have any other questions?
behrlyliz
Addicted Roswellian

Post by behrlyliz »

Wow, it’s great to meet another nurse on the board :D . I guess my problem isn’t with MedSurg, per say but more like the floor I did my clinical rotation on. My dislike of MedSurg is based on that experience. And I want to do L&D because I feel like that’s my calling but I understand about getting that experience in first. It’s crucial, especially with L&D because you have two patients at once and any situation can occur.

It’s good to know those prep classes aren’t necessary. Now I don’t feel so scared. I have gone ahead and purchased two NCLEX prep books that come with CDs and I’ve been doing about 75 questions a day, so I hope that will help me.

Anyway, thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. Also, thanks to Fehrbaby for directing to this thread.
Team Framing Hanley
My Fics~My Challenges~My Space
Icalynn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Icalynn »

Lol, never trust your clinical experience! I hated my peds rotation with a fiery passion and I said I'd never do pediatrics- and I've been a pediatric nurse for the last seven years! Hee.

You just have to find a hospital you like and go from there.

Study the books, just taking the sample questions will help you. Good luck! And if you have any other questions, just let me know.