Soccer World Cup Thread

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Soccer World Cup Thread

Post by cookiely »

I am a bit suprised that there isn't already a thread here.

After all it is the worlds biggest sport event. Approxamately 33 billion viewers will see the 64 WC games

So far I am quite happy with the course of action

The games I saw were pretty good and we already had some suprises.

Like the draw between Sweden and Trinidad and Tobago
or the victory of Ecuador against Poland ( :? which totaly destroyed my whole WC prediction :? won't be winning Fantasy Football this year)

The game between Argentina and Cote d'Ivore was propably the best so far
It will really be interesting who will qualify out of group C
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic
Location: In a remote University doing Maths....I'm not called Mad for nothing!

Post by madroswellfan »

Yay a win for England! England 1 - Paraguay 0
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

Yay a win for England! England 1 - Paraguay 0

I expected a bit more of England though and I am beginning to understand
why they are so deperate to get Rooney fit.

but then they won and that's more than Sweden can say.

:D Go! Trinidad and Tobago! you put up a great fight
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Sternbetrachter »

Group B will certainly be one of the most interesting groups (at least for me) and I think that England and Sweden will pass this round and one of them will beat Germany then (sorry cooks) :twisted:
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

Group B will certainly be one of the most interesting groups (at least for me) and I think that England and Sweden will pass this round and one of them will beat Germany then (sorry cooks)

:D we will see

England is propably going to top the group as hopefully do we, so we propably won't meet them in the round of 16.

which could actually be good for both teams, I for myself am already dreading the ultimative deathmatch: english offence(without Rooney and with Owen out of form) against german defence (with Friedrich the narcoleptic who dosn't undestand the offside rule yet)
:D ok it could be fun

And after the Tobago match Swedens chances to be runner up shrank a lot
:D so perhaps it will be Paraguay who will second the group

And I am confident that we can beat Paraguay

Admittedly we propably have one of the worst football teams in the history
of German football but we also have the home boost and look how far Japan and Korea got the last time with the audience in their back
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

Admittedly we propably have one of the worst football teams in the history
of German football but we also have the home boost and look how far Japan and Korea got the last time with the audience in their back
That's true, but if the German defence doesn't start doing its job, Germany will be out of the race quicker than you think.

So far I have to say that I was rather disappointed by most of the games. I expected *a lot* more from most of the teams, especially the big teams, and I can't think of a single team that really, really fought to win.

So, who does everybody think is going to win the WC this time? I'm still hoping that the Brasilian team will get their act together and play the kind of football we all want to see and of course win. Other favorites of mine are Sweden, the Netherlands and England, but I'm not sure if any of those teams really have what it takes to win here.

However, I'd also love to see an outsider, preferably an African team, win .
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
madroswellfan
Roswell Fanatic
Location: In a remote University doing Maths....I'm not called Mad for nothing!

Post by madroswellfan »

Over here in England they keep harping on about how this is England's "best chance to win in fifty years"...

I have to admit im not a big football fan...but I swear last time they said it was England's "Best chance to win..."

:roll:
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

So far I have to say that I was rather disappointed by most of the games. I expected *a lot* more from most of the teams, especially the big teams, and I can't think of a single team that really, really fought to win.
:D How about Australia

So, who does everybody think is going to win the WC this time? I'm still hoping that the Brasilian team will get their act together and play the kind of football we all want to see and of course win. Other favorites of mine are Sweden, the Netherlands and England, but I'm not sure if any of those teams really have what it takes to win here

I don't want Brasil to win right now, they won it the last time and they played so passionless against Croatia. They need to be taken down a few nudges.
Besides that a european team needs to win to even the score with South America. I wouldn't mind a team from another continent (i.e. Africa) either.
It would be great for the WC in South Africa when an african team won this one.

My favorite aside from my home team are Australia(I liked them already in the Confed Cup), TnT(they put up a great fight) and the Ivory Coast(great team that hadn't much luck with their goup) to that list
anonymousarfan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by anonymousarfan »

Calinia wrote:So far I have to say that I was rather disappointed by most of the games. I expected *a lot* more from most of the teams, especially the big teams, and I can't think of a single team that really, really fought to win.
Did you see Argentina-S&M on Friday? The score was 6-0 and it was amazing!
coracat
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by coracat »

I still can't believe I missed the Australia-Brazil game yesterday, hmpf!

besides that, I like how things turned out so far, that we had no trouble with hooligans is also a plus.