Soccer World Cup Thread

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

well... there seems 2 be a new record for scandolous game....

Portugal vs Netherlands
That game definitely was scandalous, but I think Australia:Croatia still takes the crown. This one was scandalous in a different way, in any case, because the players and the many fouls were what made it scandalous and not horrifying mistakes of the referee.
even with deco and Costinha sent off and cristiano ronaldo with an early injury...
I felt so bad for Christiano Ronaldo. He's only 21 and already playing for the national team. it was his first game ever in the round of 16 and he hardly got to play. :(
i just hope their reserves are good enough to beat england
Never! :wink:
figo's head butt,
I could not believe that when I saw it. Once again, a player like Figo should really be above something like that. I mean, I understand it, somewhat, if a young player gets carried away through frustration and so on and does something like that. But a seasoned and experienced player like Figo, who's team is ahead anyway? That was low and so unnecessary.

However, it was also ridiculous that the dutch player fell to the ground in a "dead faint". :roll:
the fight that broke out after a portugal player attempted to help a dutch dude up
Um, the portuguese players weren't trying to help the dutch player up, they were shaking the dutch player and trying to pull him up against his will while he was lying on the floor, hurt. That doesn't excuse the attack on them, but they weren't exactly behaving correctly either.

However, for me the picture of the game was definitely that of Deco I think it was and one of the dutch players that got sent off the field sitting next to each other, watching the rest of the game and talking. That kind of saved the portuguese and dutch football honor for me, because that game was a disgrace for both teams, but at least they get along off the field.

On another note, I so hope that Australia beats Italy today, but I don't think it's going to happen. All my favorite teams are being kicked out of the tournament. :( I also hope that Switzerland wins. They're the only team left that has no goal against them, which is a great achievement because nobody really expected them to be good.
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

Everyone over here is praying for England to win, since the one and only time we ever have was in 1966, but chances are, we won't!!
:D Isn't everyone in every country praying that they finally win the cup (again)

Here in germany the euphoria is huge right now which doesn't happen to often
And that even though we play Argentina on friday

:( I don't want to play Argentina

ell... there seems 2 be a new record for scandolous game....

Portugal vs Netherlands

a red card for netherlands, TWO for portugal... and more yellow cards than i can count on my fingers...

what fun.

:D he he he good to know I am not the only one that secretly enjoys those chaos games

The funny thing is even though the ref was pretty card happy, he could have given even more (especially red ones)
Figo should have gotten one for his head butt, the guy who kung-fu kicked C.Ronaldo out of the game deserved one as did the one that kicked Robben in the chest.

There was really no sportsmannship in this game. Not even the ball was given back to Portugal after the game was interrupted for a player who was injured.

That was imo the biggest mistake the dutchs made, from that moment on the audience whistled every time the dutch had the ball and that is a enourm psychic pressure.

n another note, I so hope that Australia beats Italy today, but I don't think it's going to happen. All my favorite teams are being kicked out of the tournament. Sad I also hope that Switzerland wins. They're the only team left that has no goal against them, which is a great achievement because nobody really expected them to be good.

:( Australia lost because of a penalty that wasn't one.
:? What kind of ref gives such an doubtful penalty in the last minute of the game. :x

:( And I am really sorry for the aussies, there were quite a few today in Cologne even though the game was in another city and they were so joyful before the .game

And the Swiss:Ukraine game was the last one that took place in Cologne
:cry: so no more WC in my city.

:? And the game was just boring :wink: but the athmosphere around the fanmile compensated for the bad game.
anonymousarfan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by anonymousarfan »

pLANETv33n3ss wrote:i just hope their reserves are good enough to beat england
Me too!! I hope Portugal wins....I still can't believe they beat Netherland!!!

As for Germany Argentina, I hope Argentina wins. They didn't play well against Mexico, and they received so many fouls commited by the Mexicans, plus another goal that was annuled....still, I hope they win

We'll see
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

anonymousarfan wrote:
pLANETv33n3ss wrote:i just hope their reserves are good enough to beat england
Me too!! I hope Portugal wins....I still can't believe they beat Netherland!!!

As for Germany Argentina, I hope Argentina wins. They didn't play well against Mexico, and they received so many fouls commited by the Mexicans, plus another goal that was annuled....still, I hope they win

We'll see
apparently cristiano ronaldo has an 80% chance of recovery before portugal plays england.... i luv that boy i hope he plays and portugal better kick england's tushie

australia... :cry: i was so upset!! my poor boys... but alas we played really well 4 the underdogs and if not 4 that debatable penalty we couldve gone on 2 the next round... dear god i hope italy gets their butts kicked by ukraine =P hehe

still extremely proud of our aussie boys, and hope portugal kick ass this weekend....
coracat
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by coracat »

cookiely wrote: :( Australia lost because of a penalty that wasn't one.
:? What kind of ref gives such an doubtful penalty in the last minute of the game. :x

:( And I am really sorry for the aussies, there were quite a few today in Cologne even though the game was in another city and they were so joyful before the .game
:cry: :cry: I really try to forget this game.
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

ghana lost to brazil :cry:
okay so they're world #1's and ghana's a new team so... most were expecting it, but still i was totally rooting for the underdog in these rounds (i'm an aussie chick, hehe =P)

now i jst hope that france can knock brazil out, and that portugal beats england...
anonymousarfan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by anonymousarfan »

pLANETv33n3ss wrote:ghana lost to brazil :cry:
okay so they're world #1's and ghana's a new team so... most were expecting it, but still i was totally rooting for the underdog in these rounds (i'm an aussie chick, hehe =P)

now i jst hope that france can knock brazil out, and that portugal beats england...
I don't think they have a chance, not only because it's Brazil, but because the referee will be the same that gave Italy the "penalty" to win it's game....after such a terrible mistake, they should put another referee

I so want England to loose!
Last edited by anonymousarfan on Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

anonymousarfan wrote: I so want England to loose!
No, you can't say that!! :(

All our hopes are on England winning as many matches as possible - you can't just dash the entire country's dreams like that :lol: !

Okay, so it's not like we have much chance of winning this year (or, well, ever) - but it's nice to hope :P .
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

:wink: I hope it will be the other way around
:( but it will be nearly impossible. Argentina has a very strong team (imo stronger than Brazil right know) and after the Mexico game they won't underestimate another opponent again. :( and certainly not us.

But I still hope even if we don't win that it will be a very exiting match

Aside from that, I think it is a great WC so far. Unlike 2002 you got all the "big teams" still in the tournament and with the exception of Uruguay every team that has won a WC in their past is still in the tournament:

The Draw:

Germany (3wc)
vs.
Argentina (2wc)

-----------------------

Italy (3wc)
vs.
Ukraine

----------------------

England (1wc)
vs.
Portugal

---------------------

Brazil (5wc)
vs.
France (1wc

:D This will make some great matches. Also there is still some unfinished buisness between some teams: i.e.. France and Brazil both still have a few player in their teams that attended the WC 98 were France kicked Brazils ass (3:0) This is the first time both teams meet in a international competition since the final of 98.It will be interesting to see if Brazil takes revenge or France manages to repeat their succes of 98
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

anonymousarfan wrote:
pLANETv33n3ss wrote:ghana lost to brazil :cry:

I don't think they have a chance, not only because it's Brazil, but because the referee will be the same that gave Italy the "penalty" to wint it's game....after such a terrible mistake, they should put another referee

I so want England to loose!
haha i agree, france most probably don't have a chance... but it's nice 2 dream

and sorry 2 all englanders and fans... but u have 2 loose, my friends and i have all taken sides on this whole football scene... and if portugal loses.... not cool.

as for the other matches, i'm sure they'll all make great games

but i have to say, i really hope brazil doesn't win the world cup again... i mean they've won sooo many times now, give sum1 else the trophy =P