Soccer World Cup Thread

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

Did you see Argentina-S&M on Friday? The score was 6-0 and it was amazing!
I missed that game. :(
I still can't believe I missed the Australia-Brazil game yesterday, hmpf!
I saw it and I have to say Brazil played a lot better this time. If they keep improving like this from game to game, they'll win the WC.
besides that, I like how things turned out so far, that we had no trouble with hooligans is also a plus.
I'm really happy that there were no problems with hooligans as well. It throws such a bad light on the sport, and on the fans as well. So far, it seems to be one big party for all the fans.

I can't wait to see the England-Sweden game tonight. I really hope that Sweden wins, because I want England and Germany to play against each other. And because Sweden is my favorite team after Brazil. :wink:
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

:D Yay we won 3:0 today

But Equador didn't really put up a fight, I expected a bit more from them.
:? It will be interesting how we will be when we meet the first real good team
I saw it and I have to say Brazil played a lot better this time. If they keep improving like this from game to game, they'll win the WC.
But they are still not ar 100%, if the Aussis were a bit more lucky they could have drawed or even won the game
I'm really happy that there were no problems with hooligans as well. It throws such a bad light on the sport, and on the fans as well. So far, it seems to be one big party for all the fans.
Wait till the Germany:England game the fans of whoever wins will go on a rampage

can't wait to see the England-Sweden game tonight. I really hope that Sweden wins, because I want England and Germany to play against each other. And because Sweden is my favorite team after Brazil. Wink

:D me too.
It will propably be the first time both teams will show their true face.

I would propably prefer to meet England in the next round two
gotta love matches with tradition

But I also think it would be a hoot if England beats Sweden and TnT qualifies
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

But I also think it would be a hoot if England beats Sweden and TnT qualifies
ha, as if!

so, did anybody else see England/Sweden today? I have to say, that was by far the best game I saw in this WC up to now. Both teams played really well, and very fair. I was kind of afraid of them playing a no-attack game since both teams were practically already qualified, but they showed us some great football. All in all very entertaining and tons of fun to watch.

Kinda sad that Sweden will be playing against Germany now and not England, but oh well. As long as Sweden wins, I'm happy. :wink:
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

cookiely wrote:
But they are still not ar 100%, if the Aussis were a bit more lucky they could have drawed or even won the game
i totally agree, okay so i'm somewhat biast being an aussie myself but brazil's second goal was just pure luck... and a error of misjudgement on teh aussies side,
hopefully we beat croatia 2mrw nyt 2 qualify
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

so, did anybody else see England/Sweden today? I have to say, that was by far the best game I saw in this WC up to now. Both teams played really well, and very fair. I was kind of afraid of them playing a no-attack game since both teams were practically already qualified, but they showed us some great football. All in all very entertaining and tons of fun to watch.

The game was good but imo not the best in the WC so far. There were not that many goal chances aside from the goals and the two times the ball hit the crossbar.

In the first half England played great and dominated the game in the second halfhowever they seemed to be quite tired and hardly attacked anymore.

Also England still haven't overcome their goalkeeper problem, with a decent goaly the second swedish goal would have been impossible

Sweden on the other hand became stronger and stronger in the second half
but only was dangerrous when they had corners .

Imo both teams still aren't at 100%. Especially the swedish offence will propably improve once Ibrahimovic is back.
Poison Ivy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Poison Ivy »

There's a tread on this? Cool! I love the World Cup! Too bad, it's only every 4 years! My favourites are Australia and Portugal. At the moment The netherlands are playing against Argentina. I hope the netherlands wins!

But do anyone of you follows soccer outside the world cup?

xxx ivy
My Fics

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness. " --- Friedrich Nietzche
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

Poison Ivy wrote:There's a tread on this? Cool! I love the World Cup! Too bad, it's only every 4 years! My favourites are Australia and Portugal. At the moment The netherlands are playing against Argentina. I hope the netherlands wins!

xxx ivy
ivy, ur favourites are my favourites!

and yeah if the netherlands win than that means portugal plays them instead of argentina.. or sumthing, right?
im kinda new to the soccer thing, the last tym it was on i was 11 and had about as much understanding of it then as i do now... hehe
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

The game was good but imo not the best in the WC so far. There were not that many goal chances aside from the goals and the two times the ball hit the crossbar.
Lots of goal chances often just means that the defence of the teams sucks and that the teams can't turn their chances into goals, both things I hate in football games. Neither was the case in that game.
Sweden on the other hand became stronger and stronger in the second half but only was dangerrous when they had corners .
I mostly agree, but being dangerous in standard situations partly makes out a good team.
Imo both teams still aren't at 100%. Especially the swedish offence will propably improve once Ibrahimovic is back.
Not sure about that, Ibrahimovic didn't exactly play very well in the past games, he's got some kind of crisis going on. I'm not sure if bringing him back is a good idea at all.
My favourites are Australia and Portugal. At the moment The netherlands are playing against Argentina. I hope the netherlands wins!
I like Australia, but I really hated it when Figo took a dive and got Portugal a penalty they didn't deserve so Portugal is off the list of teams I like.
Definitely. Football is *the* sport in Europe. I usually keep track of the English and Spanish top leagues and I definitely follow the Champions League. My favorite teams are Arsenal London and Real Madrid. Don't care much about non-European football though, except during the WC.
and yeah if the netherlands win than that means portugal plays them instead of argentina.. or sumthing, right?
It's the other way around. Since the Netherlands didn't win, they're going to play against Portugal and Argentinia will play against Mexico. I wish it were the other way around though, I love the Netherlands and Mexico would definitely be the easier opponent.
anonymousarfan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by anonymousarfan »

Calinia wrote:
Definitely. Football is *the* sport in Europe. I usually keep track of the English and Spanish top leagues and I definitely follow the Champions League. My favorite teams are Arsenal London and Real Madrid. Don't care much about non-European football though, except during the WC.
I'm from South America, where we practically breath Futbol, so yeah, I'm kind of forced to follow it :D

About Australia-Brazil match, I was so pissed, Australia had some really good opportunities but they couldn't do it, they were completely hopeless in doing any of those goal opportunities a real goal, but well....

I have a question for all of you here, what's the problem with Argentina? Why don't you like it?
cookiely
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cookiely »

Lots of goal chances often just means that the defence of the teams sucks and that the teams can't turn their chances into goals, both things I hate in football games. Neither was the case in that game.
:? Well the english defending on both goals was pretty crappy
And putting "giant" Beckham at the first post was downright stupid.
:? I just hope we don#t make the same mistakes and put Lahm on the first post

I mostly agree, but being dangerous in standard situations partly makes out a good team.
I personally think it is a huge weakness when you can't score a goal out of the play. And yes it is useful when you are good at standards but keep in mind that
unlike the english defenders all german defenders (aside from Lahm) reach way beyond the 1.90m and we are also pretty good atr standards.
In our prepaeration time we made in our last three games only goals after standardsituations and believe that worried me pretty much

Not sure about that, Ibrahimovic didn't exactly play very well in the past games, he's got some kind of crisis going on. I'm not sure if bringing him back is a good idea at all.
Larson didn't play well against TnT either he still got a second chance and Ibrahimovic is without doubt one of the best strikers in the world. Just the name on the trikot will pull two defenders on him

I like Australia, but I really hated it when Figo took a dive and got Portugal a penalty they didn't deserve so Portugal is off the list of teams I like.
:? sadly there is no team that doesn't dive haven't seen the game so I can't judge but I still like Portugal even if Figo did dive

t's the other way around. Since the Netherlands didn't win, they're going to play against Portugal and Argentinia will play against Mexico. I wish it were the other way around though, I love the Netherlands and Mexico would definitely be the easier opponent
*cough* you are aware that Robben is quite known for his diving and he already got a yellow card for it this WC,.

I for myself prefer the Portugal:Netherland game since it will be more interesting. Portugal will put up a fight but the netherlands will win at the end imo.

DMy favorite teams are Arsenal London and Real Madrid.

:x success fan
I do follow my own succesless hometown club who can 't seem to stay in the first league even though they are one of the biggest in germany because our amnager won't take any bank credits.
Well but at least when it comes to attendances we are in the top 20 in europe
so the good atmosphere makes up for the bad playing

Right now I don't have an international top team I follow, I did use to like
Manu back then when still Cantona and co played. Today I watch the CL rather sporadically

About Australia-Brazil match, I was so pissed, Australia had some really good opportunities but they couldn't do it, they were completely hopeless in doing any of those goal opportunities a real goal, but well....

:( I could have kicked the aussie player who after Didas mistake shot the ball above the empty goal.

I have a question for all of you here, what's the problem with Argentina? Why don't you like it?
I have nothing against Argentinia aside from the fact that they are playing just too damn good right now and therefore effectivelythe killin the rest of my already small WC hopes