Saying Goodbye

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Shiesty23
Addicted Roswellian

Saying Goodbye

Post by Shiesty23 »

Saying goodbye to a loved one or a beloved pet is hard...
Today I had to say good bye to another one of my best friends.
It was very hard but I know it was the right thing to do.
I just wanted to share this poem with those of you who may have to let a
beloved pet go someday....

<center>When to Say Goodbye…

When is it time to say goodbye,
To all the love I've known,
When is it time to end your pain,
And leave me all alone?

I've watched you on your good days when
I feel your strength renewed;
But shortly after little ups,
The down days then ensue.

We ride this roller-coaster of
Emotions as we try,
to make it through another day,
And yet, I can't deny ...

That as I look into your face
On days that have been bad,
I see a look that beckons me
It's tired, and hurt, and it’s sad.

The little spark I used to see
Behind those loving eyes,
Is growing ever clouded
By life's passing time.
Letting go is harder for
The person left behind;
It means that if I let you go,
I cannot turn back time.

Back to the days I long for now,
When you were full of life;
And every day held promise,
And our futures, clear and bright.

But now the lights are darkening ...
We take it daily now;
I cannot see our futures clear
Or think beyond this cloud.

I think the hardest part in this
Is never knowing why,
I have to be courageous
And I have to say goodbye.
You've given such unselfish love
For all our time in life,
But if I hold too tightly,
You'll not move t'ward the light ...

So today I found the courage to say
this last farewell,
I'll hold with me, the memories
that in my heart remain,
and pray one day, down the road...
they'll lesson my own pain.

-unknown

Goodbye Scooby Doo
Image</center>

SHI
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

I'm sorry!

I had to put my Belle down a little over a year ago (two years this October) and I still find myself looking outside in the back yard sometimes to see where she's at... :cry:

I also still have her toys, food bowl, etc., etc.

I figure since she watched over us for so long it's the least that I could do. I had her for around 10 years...

I found this a few months ago and I thought that it was cute...

I hope you start to feel better and start the healing process.

Ashley
Zanssoulmate08
Addicted Roswellian
Location: In my happy place, entertaining myself with shiny objects.

Post by Zanssoulmate08 »

That poem breaks my heart! :cry:

We had to put my mom's dog Georgio to sleep because of a brain tumor about six years ago. I know in my heart that we ended his suffering, but he had been around my whole life and I couldn't imagine it without him. This letter I found helped me deal with the guilt and grief I felt for putting him to sleep. http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/annie.html

Though it's been years, I'd like to tell you that the pain dulls a bit over time. The fact of the matter is that it will always be a part of you, because your pet was a part of you and always will be. It's only natural to feel pain, but you have to remember that your pet loved you and loved being with you and that you gave him/her a good life while they were with you. Wherever they may be now, I believe that they take that love with them.

I hope that this helps. :)

-Sarah

Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom,
Man made up a story, said that I should believe him.
Go and tell your white knight that he’s handsome in hindsight,
But I don’t want the next best thing.
So I sing, I hold my head down, and I break these walls ’round me.
Can’t take no more of your fairytale love.
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

One of my cats has been gone for a few days. This happened a while ago with another one of my cats, and we're almost positive a fox or coyote or some other type of predator grabbed both of them. I've had this cat for years. I can't really think about it too much, right now. Anyway, I'm so sorry, Shiesty23, because I know how hard it is to lose a pet. And if you're like me, pets are much more than just some dog or cat.

The art is beautiful.
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Shiesty23
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Shiesty23 »

Thank you guys so much...your kind words helps lessen the pain.

I guess what makes this so hard right now is the fact that not so long ago I had to do it for 02...another beloved dog who was suffering from cancer...

SHI
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

It's hard but after time it does get better.

A few years ago I lost both my dog and cat close together.Both had been members of the family since before I was even in high school. Even now every once and awhile I stop and think about them.Especially if I find an old picture of me and them together.

But like I said in time it does get better.I won't try to tell you what to do.I know people who when they loose a pet go out and get another as soon as they can to fill the void.Others feel that it takes time before they can do that.

So sorry for your loss.
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

Shie, that was such a pretty poem, I just recently got a 2 month cockerspaniel... and I adore him alll ready... I am sorry for your loss. I hope that it gets easier for you. I think people just have no idea how much it hurts to lose a pet unless they have lost one ya know.

Again I hope you feel better, and just try to think about the good and funny times you had with Scooby.

Hugs
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ken_r »

i found this while searching for i do not remember what. I was told that a child loves a pet so they can love someone else and they morn a pet so they can learn to morn someone else. at my age i can list on a long pad the number of animals that i had to loose. none of the looses were easy. some of the pets like some of the people I know were very dear. some of them were trials but in their loss i have a void. i guess it prepared me to loose the dearest thing i ever had but we all know that that is not true. the loss is a loss it prepares you for nothing, but we still must endure loss of friend no matter how many legs they have. thank you shiesty for your words. ken r
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
DreamerLaure
Addicted Roswellian

Post by DreamerLaure »

SHI this whole thread is so timely for me…We put down my dog Sara this afternoon :( I’ve had her since I was three years old and I literally grew up with her so it’s exactly like losing a best friend. Ah, I can’t even write about her that much (or even talk about it too much) without crying still – she was a beautiful dog, inside and out and I’m going to miss her so much. I know she’s in a better place, and for that I’m happy for her. Ken, that’s so true. My grandmother told me that it’s the “losses we encounter that make us stronger” and I’d like to be as … confident as she is that tomorrow will be easier to face, etc, but even though I’ve lost a lot of people over the past 2 years - my cousin, my grandfather, my science teacher, and now my dog - it’s still so hard. Anyway, beautiful poem! I knew this board would have something like this, and you know what, it was exactly what I needed; it’s brightened my day, just a little bit,

- Laure <3
"The expected is just the beginning. The unexpected is what changes our lives."
Meredith - Grey's Anatomy
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

I work at a vet's office, andwe used to have this story out for our clients to read. It was about a family with a little boy that had to put their dog to sleep. The family expects the little boy to be upset, but he's strangely calm about it. He turns to his parents and tells them, "God puts us here to love. People take more time. Animals love faster. So they don't live as long."

I'd like to think it's true. It's horrible when we lose them, but they've loved and lived well.
<center>Image</center>