Gas Prices

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Gas Prices

Post by Lorastar »

So gas prices just got even more ridiculously priced. Which annoyed me. I was wondering, how different are gas prices in different areas? I think I just need to know that it's more expensive for other people. *laughs* Here in little ol' middle of nowhere California, our gas rose to $3.11 a gallon. How about your town?
<center>Image</center>
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

Humm i'm in West palm beach, FL and the last time i got gas it was 2.70-something. I have seen some gas stations as high as 2.93 tho. One day it will be 8 buck i swear. I SO need one of those hybrid cars.
My Fics
Hardhat: Don't eat the tuna salad in the cafeteria. It made me throw up.
Suit: Food poisoning takes a while. How long did it take to make you sick?
Hardhat: About 5 seconds. All I can figure is, someone must've put fish in it - I'm allergic to fish.
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

I'm located in Arlington, TX, which is right between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Prices here average around 2.80 something for now. Although we can have them drop to the mid-high 70's or jump to right below $3.

However, I can go to other places around the area and it can be up to $3.25 (I think was the highest I saw) down to $2.50 something.

I have no idea why some areas are less then others though. It seems like every area that I would think would have low prices has high prices, and vice versa.

I just wish I had the money for a hybrid. If I stopped paying for gas for a year or two I probably would though! :wink:

Think about the good news though - when we finally run out of natural gas, we'll get to redesign everything: planes, ships, etc., etc.

For all you know we could end up traveling in the space ship M/L found under the store! Then we're that much closer to having our own alien people with endless golden eyes!

Of course, we might actually go into a panic, errupt in chaos, and start rioting...

But I prefer to look at the upside! Besides - I for one do not want to have to think about getting on another little wooden ship and rowing to Europe when I finally have the money to travel.

Ashley
Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

icequeen wrote: One day it will be 8 buck i swear.
You guys in the states are lucky. I know your gas prices have risen a lot in the last few years, but in the UK, we're already paying $8 a gallon and it costs over $70 to fill up a tank!

If I could stop driving to work and get the bus instead I would, but it would cost me $40 a week in bus fares anyway (I only pay $18 a week for the gas).

The problem is that the world has been aware of the fact that our fuel reserves are rapidly depleting for years, yet not enough has been done to get other sources up and running.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

$70 bucks? If it cost me that much, I would never drive. I just bought a new car since my last one was kaput, and fortunately it gets about 29 miles to the gallon. I bet everyone with an SUV is really regretting that decision right now.
<center>Image</center>
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

Actually, I've pretty much stopped driving when I don't absolutely have to, so I only paid one tank since early February.

In Austria, you currently have to pay about 1.126 Euros for one liter of gas, which is 4.262 Euros per gallon, which is $5.262 per gallon. I don't think we ever in the past twenty or so years had prices anywhere close to $3.11, even leaving out inflation. Sucks being us. :wink:
Last edited by Calinia on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Morning Dreamgirl wrote:Think about the good news though - when we finally run out of natural gas, we'll get to redesign everything: planes, ships, etc., etc.
Well, I live in Seattle and I haven't yet seen the Price around here break the $3 mark but it's come close.

As for the above reply, two things:

1) The idea that we're running out of natural gas is a myth, we have a lot more than those running the market want you to think, and there is a lot more available to be gotten than our government will allow to be drilled for.

2) The redesign of most things would be laughably easy. Some people have already designed, built and drive cars that run off of used french fry oil.
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

I'm pretty uneducated about current events, but I have heard of the french fry oil cars! It's pretty amazing that they can use something as simple as used oil to make our cars run. Not that used oil is really THAT readily available. More cars than oil. Plus, when you think about it, gas we're currently using is cheaper (in the US at least) than corn oil. You buy half a gallon at a time and it's around 2-3 dollars.

As for the natural gas, aren't they wanting to drill in Alaska for more?
<center>Image</center>
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

Zanity wrote:The idea that we're running out of natural gas is a myth, we have a lot more than those running the market want you to think, and there is a lot more available to be gotten than our government will allow to be drilled for.
True...

But give it a couple of centuries. LOL!

I was more or less saying that it some times seems like it would take something that drastic before people would change the way things are to make them more eco-friendly.

But, hey, you never know!

And you're right about there being different designs... I've seen some that made me laugh, and others that made me think, "Wicked!" (Or awesome, cool, or whatever phrase you would like. :wink:)

$70?

I'd buy a bike and just move closer to work! LOL!

Ashley
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Lorastar wrote:Plus, when you think about it, gas we're currently using is cheaper (in the US at least) than corn oil. You buy half a gallon at a time and it's around 2-3 dollars.
Hence the reason all our cars were designed to run on gasoline in the first place. Gasoline even at today's outrageous prices is still cheaper than corn oil to mass produce and distribute on the kind of scale necessary to power every vehicle on the road. But corn oil has the advantage of coming from corn a commodity we will never run out of barring some kind of calamity.
Lorastar wrote:As for the natural gas, aren't they wanting to drill in Alaska for more?
And government red tape is holding it up.
Morning Dreamgirl wrote:I was more or less saying that it some times seems like it would take something that drastic before people would change the way things are to make them more eco-friendly.
This will happen when one of two things occurs:

1) Government mandates it.
2) Someone finds a way to make the more eco-friendly solution cheaper and more efficient than the current method AND gets their method out to the public.

Don't get my next statement wrong I completely agree with capitalism... but one of it's evils is sometimes new technologies get squashed by multi-million dollar companies when they think the technology will be too good for the consumer and bad for business.