Gas Prices

Share stuff not relating to Roswell here (that means TV, movies, books, other forms of entertainment, school, work...everything)

Moderators: singerchic4, Forum Moderators

Lady_vixen
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Lady_vixen »

I am in Miami and we are at $3.01 for regular. I saw this whole thing about it on Anderson Cooper 360( gotta love that guy) and the repot said that prices are not high because there is a shortage. They are high in anticipation of a shortage. More demand...they can charge whatever they want. We need it. The US only produces about 47 percent of the oil we consume. We get some from Canda some from the Arabs and another place I cant remember. They gave this whole scenario about what would heppen if we had no fuel...it is F'in scary. In Miami..you need a car to get around. We have mass transit but I work 15 miles away from job. In order for me to get to work on time at 8, i would have to start busing at about 5 am. That does not inculde taking my son to school. People at the poverty level would feel it the most and its just a big mess.

So the point to all this...conserve!!! People like to go to South Beach here and drive around like retards just so people can stare at there cars..pretty soon that will be a thing of the past.
Icequeen
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Icequeen »

As someone that has an SUV yes the gas sucks but i like my SUV beacuse i feel safer in it then a smaller car. Here in south florida ppl can't drive at all! Mainly old people in huge caddies that can't see a damn thing and if someone's going to hit me i'd rather be in a big SUV then a tiny 2 seater or something.
My Fics
Hardhat: Don't eat the tuna salad in the cafeteria. It made me throw up.
Suit: Food poisoning takes a while. How long did it take to make you sick?
Hardhat: About 5 seconds. All I can figure is, someone must've put fish in it - I'm allergic to fish.
FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

As someone who just recently swtiched from SUV to car I have to say I would go with icequeen! I would rather have my SUV! Much safer, and with the way people drive why be in a small car than in one that is much bigger and probably safer and MORE ROOM!!!!

As for gas prices! I wish it were 3.01 sheesh! The other day when I filled up it was 3.15!! while that is only .14 cents! 14 cents is A LOT!!!
"You know what?House rules, Sammy. Driver picks music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole." Supernatural

"That Dude just full on obi woned me!" Supernatural
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

I understand the concern for safety, but actually, SUVs aren't the safest cars. I have figures from 2003, provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, about the numbers of fatalities in car accidents per million registered vehicles. Here they are:

Small cars: 142 fatalities per million
Medium sized cars: 108 per million
Large sedans: 61 per million
Small SUVs: 75 per million
Large SUVs: 62 per million
Small pickups: 124 per million
Large pickups: 102 per million

Hence, large sedans are actually the safest cars according to this statistic.

Of course, you also have to take into account who drives the cars and how. For example, pickups are often driven by young men, who tend to be the most likely to be involved in serious accidents while small SUVs are often driven by women, which has been found to lower the totals. Small (and cheap) cars are often driven by young people, who generally have a higher risk of being involved in an accident.
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
FamersAmers
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FamersAmers »

Small cars: 142 fatalities per million
Medium sized cars: 108 per million
Large sedans: 61 per million
Small SUVs: 75 per million
Large SUVs: 62 per million
Small pickups: 124 per million
Large pickups: 102 per million

ok...good stats, but they are over 2 years old and second SMALL CAR: 142 per million vs Large SUV 62 per million...I will take my SUV!!!

I know someone who was in an accident not too long ago and had he not been in his SUV god knows what would have happened! A little car most likely would have killed him!

So depsite the high gas prices SUV I will take!
"You know what?House rules, Sammy. Driver picks music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole." Supernatural

"That Dude just full on obi woned me!" Supernatural
Lorastar
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Lorastar »

I wonder how many of those fatalities from small cars were the product of a collision between the small car and an SUV.

Within the last 3 years, I've been in 3 accidents. I was hit by an SUV, let me tell you, that was the scariest thing in my life. Seeing this huge thing barreling down at you at 50 mph while you're at a dead stop is not something I want to go through again. I was also hit by a small car while in my small car. And the other I was driving my boyfriend's SUV and backed into a van at 5 mph. The only 2 accidents that caused damage were the 2 involving the SUV's.
<center>Image</center>
Lady_vixen
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Lady_vixen »

After watching my friend's Navigator pratically blow up in front on me...i kind of got over the whole SUV hype. One of the producers at my job had a HUmmer and he told me he got about 9-12 miles to the gallon. That is insane.
Morning Dreamgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Morning Dreamgirl »

I can't remember where I read it (sorry!) but a large number of the smaller car and motorcycle deaths were because of an accident involving SUVs (esp. the larger ones) and larger trucks.

They actually beat out the sporty cars that most people assume would do more damage because of their speed.

So I always dislike driving any where near an SUV or larger truck because (at least in my experience) the drivers don't pay as much attention. I think that it's because of the fact that they feel so safe, they're not worried as much about getting injured.

I know that this is an unfair generalization, and I apologize if anyone takes this the wrong way, but the majority of the accidents that I've seen around here involving larger vehicles happen because they:

A) Don't see the other cars
B) Think that the other cars will stop because their auto is bigger.

When I used to ride around with my friends who had them and my ex, they also tended to take more risks in them.

Again, it's a generalization, but it's more of what I see around here.

Ashley
Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

FamersAmers wrote:ok...good stats, but they are over 2 years old and second SMALL CAR: 142 per million vs Large SUV 62 per million...I will take my SUV!!!
Well, it's not like you have to choose between a small car and a large SUV. If you can afford a large SUV, you can afford a sedan as well.

I have to admit I don't know if SUV producers are doing anything in this direction, but I know that Mercedes for example is doing *a lot* to not only insure the safety of their own drivers but also the safety of the drivers of other cars involved in an accident. For example, the cars are designed so that the front part takes on a majority of the impact in a way that both keeps their own drivers safe but also keeps the damage to the other car minimal, to avoid squashing other small and less sturdy cars like a bug.

And to get back on topic, geez, I think gas is even more expensive today than it was last week. To get my tank full, I have to pay around 50 Euros right now. I remember a few years back it was less than 40.
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Raychelxluscious »

In my hometown in WV -- it's all 2.99, 3.09, and 3.19.

At campus -- where I have to drive everyday -- its 2.87, 2.99, and 3.09.

So, I get my gas from there every morning.

Ridiculous. Maybe we should all just stop buying freakin' gas for a day. See if that helps. :roll:

Raychel