topic reply notification

Do you need help on the board or on the site? All questions, suggestions, etc. should go here. We also have a lot of Frequently Asked Questions, so be sure to check those out using the link below before you ask :)

Moderators: ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

topic reply notification

Post by ken_r »

I have been fighting with Comcast for a long time. They refuse anything from a-kussman@kc.rr.com. They have declared rosewellfanatics as spam and refuse to budge. I am told that the administrators have tried to work with comcast but comcast won't cooperate. i took out a gmail account and had every thing forwarded from gmail to comcast. This worked until yesterday. Now i cannot get gmail to take any of the notifications. I thought at first it was comcast coming out to haunt me but now there is no indication that any message gets from RF to gmail. I am not really computer savy so trying things usually messes them up. is anyone having any problem with comcast and how did you solve it. is anyone having trouble with gmail. does anyone have a suggestion as to what mail works with out problems

ken r

krenouard242@comcast.net
krenouard242@gmail.com
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
History is made of wars, recovering from wars and preparing for the next war.
JJR 1975-
pijeechinadoll
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: topic reply notification

Post by pijeechinadoll »

i use hotmail which is windows Live/msn. I dont have any problems with recieving my notifications. hope that helps :mrgreen:
♥LUv roSWEll♥lOvE MaX eVAns♥LoVe Liz PaRKeR♥luV bEiNg a DrEamR♥LuV FANFICS♥
xoxoxox
To see a World in a Grain of Sand,And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand, And Eternity in an hour
(william blake)
Ansleyrocks
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Ansleyrocks »

I have comcast as well and I can get the notifications. The problem is your spam setting. Look on your icon bar and there should be a preferences icon, click that and there is a section about spam filters for e-mail. It will ask you if you want to allow certain sites or not and how you want to set that up. If you say you want to allow e-mail notifications from roswellfanatics it will allow it. I have it set up on my account right now. I hope that helps for comcast.

As for gmail I am pretty sure that they have a settings/preferences button as well I think it is located in the upper left if not on a side bar. There should be a spam filter there as well.

What is happening is that as the companies update their software the spam filters change. This means that you are going to have to go in and personalize it to make it do what you want. To cover their butts they have to create a standard and not allow it but they can't prevent you from getting e-mail notifications from a site so they allow it as long as you set it up through adjusting your spam filter.

I hope this gets better for you

Ansley
pijeechinadoll
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by pijeechinadoll »

yeh Ansleyrocks is probably right. :D
♥LUv roSWEll♥lOvE MaX eVAns♥LoVe Liz PaRKeR♥luV bEiNg a DrEamR♥LuV FANFICS♥
xoxoxox
To see a World in a Grain of Sand,And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand, And Eternity in an hour
(william blake)
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ken_r »

the spam settings on both emails are turned off. Comcast told me that they considered Media Boulevard which is the parent computer of RF to be spam. i have never used spam settings because what i don't want i just delete. i don't have the problems of people who work. i looked at both emails and neither has a spam filter turned on. the filter i have for my main computer is just for the email program not the comcast service itself. I use Entourage on a macintosh. there are spam settings butt they are just for entourage not comcast itself. that is what i need. does any one know how to turn off filters used by comcast itself.

this is making writing and reading very hard.

ken r
Good teachers are born that way, not made. No! Good human beings, are born that way. Some of them become teachers.

Of course, life is not fair. You shouldn't expect it to be fair, but you should expect it to be ironic.
JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
ken_r
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ken_r »

Is anybody else having trouble with comcast? I don't use spam filters at all. I had this problem a few years ago and it wasn't fixed until the site changed servers. I am sure the problem is comcast. because i went through this before.

JKR 1981-2001
JJR 1975-
behrbabe
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by behrbabe »

You're right, the problem is Comcast because I've had the same problems with them before - and all of it involved email delivery. Comcast, like other ISPs, block certain IPs/blocks of IPs for various reasons; most of which they blame on "suspicion of spam." The trouble with them blocking these IPs is that the IPs come from the servers that websites are hosted on, like RF is hosted on a website that's server is at theplanet.com. I used to own a website that was also hosted on theplanet.com's server - I never could get email because Comcast blocks their IPs. Usually if you use a email service like gmail, yahoo, inbox.com, etc, the notifications will go through. That's part of the problem with having Comcast as your ISP and using an email program, because Comcast blocks the IPs and you're using Comcast's service so they don't let the emails through. That's the same problem that I had so I literally had to sign into gmail and get the emails directly through there. Same thing's happening now, I don't get the notifications from RF when I use my email program but if I sign into yahoo(which is what I use now) the notifications are there. We're not the only ones with this sort of problem, there's a ton of topics on the Comcast forum about this very subject and they never admit that they're blocking IPs, but it's pretty obvious that they are.

Sorry that I can't give you a way to fix it because I really don't think there is a way, and if you contact Comcast they usually blame it on the customer.
My fanart/cover art rules:
1) I'm a pro freelance webdesigner so I may not be able to get the art to you overnight, fanart is free time hobby stuff.
2) I do this for free because I'm a fan first and I like to help other people. Don't take my generosity for granted or I won't do it anymore.
3) I usually charge extra for more than 3 changes, so that's the limit. A huge deal :)