Does anyone remember how the ship names were choosen?

Do the conventional couples just not float your boat at times or at all?? Polarists, GZers, Rebels, Loyalists, and all other UCers---this is the place for you guys...

Moderators: jbangelo, Forum Moderators

RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Does anyone remember how the ship names were choosen?

Post by RoswellOracle »

We are all familiar with the interesting ship names for the Roswell relationships, but do you know where they came from, or who named them?

I know where some came from, and I have guesses about others, but I would love to have the real story. I have a section about this in my Roswell Archive, and I've posted what I remember and have been told, and even some of my guesses, but I would like to get as much info as possible.

For example, I have no idea where the term Lolly came from. Anyone? :?

If you know where a name came from, or who named a ship, please share it!

Also I know at one time there were other names for the Max/Liz ship besides dreamer, and other names for the Michael/Maria ship beside Candy. Does anyone remember them?
The world is full of stories, and from time to time,
they permit themselves to be told - Prey

RoswellOracle.com - The most comprehensive Roswell reference & archive
My Stories ~ My Roswell Store ~ My Roswell Archive

Check out Roswell Heaven!
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Re: Does anyone remember how the ship names were choosen?

Post by killjoy »

Kyle + Tess = Lamptrimmer

This comes from lines in the show....2X05 The End Of The World

KYLE: You look really great when you're pissed.

TESS: Yeah, right.

KYLE: No, I'm serious. I feel, like, all this energy coming from you right now. In order to trim the lamp of wisdom, we must attend to our bodily needs.

TESS: Let me tell you something, Buddha-boy...I got a lamp that needs some serious trimming.

And dear GOD how much better the show would have been if freaking Liz Parker had NOT shown her face at the door at that moment in time :roll: :twisted: :roll:
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

I did know that one killjoy, but the Kyle/Tess ship was called Rebounders and Space Cowgirls first. So who suggested to change it and why?

And where did Space Cowgirls come from anyway? Kyle isn't exactly a cowboy and Tess certainly isn't a cowgirl, although she is from space. :D

I know one of the names for Kyle fans was Cowgirls. Maybe it morphed out of that somehow.

jbangelo
Administrator

Post by jbangelo »

The only thing I really know is that most of them originated on FanForum back in the day. I have absolutely no idea how they came up some of the names though. Polar has something to do with Liz and Michael being polar opposites, I think, and I read once that Ground Zero came about because Max and Maria would make an "explosive" combination. I might know some more, but I'd have to look at a shipper list.
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

One that has always got me was Band Geeks...Liz/Alex/Maria.The only thing I can think of is that Alex and Maria were in a band....and LIz is their friend.

You know I have always wanted to find a story dealing with this ship but never have.
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

Yes, exactly like that killjoy. There are a bunch of obscure names in the UC ships. Bandgeeks probably made sense to whoever named it, but to the rest of us it is a mystery. :wink:

You should write a story that has them in it. :D

Here's a link to the ship list on my site. I put in the origins of the ones I knew, and some I guessed at. Maybe people can take a look and let me know if I got anything wrong, or they can add new info.

http://www.roswelloracle.com/shipper.html

2x4
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by 2x4 »

My husband accidentally named the Drifter 'ship. I was joking around online with a friend and we were trying to determine a name for the Dean/Liz 'ship after I'd written a few stories. In the background, the hubby says just call it 'Drifter.' At the time, the terminology had more to do with Liz drifting away from Max once they were on the road and finding Dean. Too, a lot of the early stuff found every character to be a drifter, Roswell gang included.

As for the X-tremer 'ship, from what I understand, it was named so because it sounded like 'ex-dreamer.' A lot of the earlier fics began the Alec/Liz relationship after a particularly horrible end to a Max/Liz relationship.

--Robyn
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

Very cool 2x4 thanks for the info!

I've added it to my site.