Why UC?

Do the conventional couples just not float your boat at times or at all?? Polarists, GZers, Rebels, Loyalists, and all other UCers---this is the place for you guys...

Moderators: jbangelo, Forum Moderators

LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

Peachykin wrote:
the balance aspect comes from their personalities. You know its funny that Michael and Liz are referred to as polar, because when you break it down they really are omre a like than anyone realizes. Surface, smart, pretty schoolgirl and the thumb his nose at authority reclusive bad boy. Classic right? Except that Michael has this incredible intelligence about him and Liz isn't as pure as we've been led to believe. AND Its like they come to each other on equal footing with more in common than ether of them would think.

I could not have said that any better.... Everything I think is in there.. lol..thanks Peachykin :D
Peachykin
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Peachykin »

Ella, in the polar world it's all about subtext. Body language and such. In the Rath situation, yu have to look at the factors, he looks like Michael... run through a pink blender and usuing language he never would normally. And then he mauls her up against a locker in front of the whole school. I'd be a little freaked out too! :lol:

You know its funny, for the people who don't see polar, they can find all the moments or arguments against moments, where polars see sexual tension. I could pick out a thousand moments where I see the attraction. lol this is beocming my mantra: Its all about perspective.

Missing: HUGE tension there.

Summer of 47: the talk in the hallway, 'I like it." Melted.

Baby Its You: Michael and Liz at the lab, or when he destroys the bomb, the look between them.

Like I said, there are tons of these moments to people who are polar. And people who are not, that's cool. I can't make anyone see something they don't want to, and it would be hard pressed to make me change my mind about what I see.

Hope that answers your question, Ella. It was a great one. :D
Polar, Xtremer, Drifter. Michael. Alec. Dean. Unapologetic. Flawed. And you know... real men.
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Maybe it's because I've never stepped out of my Max and Liz box, but I've never noticed any tension between the two, unless it's dislike. But I do think you're right about perspective, because if I wanted to see it that way, it probably could appear to be attraction (I haven't seen those eps in a while). I admit that they would probably have an interesting relationship, but I'm too loyal (not that u guys aren't, your just a little more open minded, lol) to M&L that I just can't see it. I'm such a conformist :lol:
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
~*Sonia E.*~

Post by ~*Sonia E.*~ »

Peachykin wrote:I have discussed it a lot and the truth is, there are just so many reasons I tend to get long winded about why Michael and Liz are my ship of choice.

Mainly for me its about attraction and balance. To me there was far more chemistry between the two of them, and JK just had to tease us with Missing and never did a thing about it.

the balance aspect comes from their personalities. You know its funny that Michael and Liz are referred to as polar, because when you break it down they really are more alike than anyone realizes. Surface, smart, pretty schoolgirl and the thumb his nose at authority reclusive bad boy. Classic right? Except that Michael has this incredible intelligence about him and Liz isn't as pure as we've been led to believe.

Ugh see like I said, looooong-winded. To me its the chemistry, the unresolved sexual tension I saw on screen and how they could compliment each other. Its like they come to each other on equal footing with more in common than ether of them would think.

Hope that answers your question. I could go on forever, but I'll digress here.
:D
Thanks for answering me Peachykin, I really appreciate it. I definitely agree that Liz wasn't as pure as we were led to believe. :lol: I like how everyone has different perspectives on the characters because it would be a boring world if we all thought exactly the same things. :)
Peachykin
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Peachykin »

There are many other reasons for me, but when in discussion I hate to go the, "This is why Max is wrong for her..." "This is why Maria is wrong for him..." examples. Because all it tends to do is unintentionally insult the dreamers and candies. And that's not what I want to do. I hate it when people come in and tear apart my reasons for being polar, so I try not to do the same to CCer or even other UC relationships that I don't subscribe to.

To me the relationship between Michael and Liz is about accepting each other's flaws. Liz is not perfect and doesn't always do the right thing. She's occasionally selfish, as are a lot of teenage girls. But to me that makes her more real. Human.

Michael is blunt, often rude. He is what he is and makes no apologies for that. You either like him or you don't. He's raw and uncooth. if you want romance, go elsewhere. And to me that makes him more real. its actually part of what makes him human.

I think the two of them together can accept the flaws as part of their personalities. And part of being together isn't trying to changesomeone to fit an ideal but loving that person because their flaws make them who they are.

If that makes sense.
Polar, Xtremer, Drifter. Michael. Alec. Dean. Unapologetic. Flawed. And you know... real men.
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Actually it does. I can see how Max and Liz's relationship would be less realistic, because they were both supposed to be so perfect for a while (in season one mainly). They became more human later, but at first it was almost like they had no flaws, and that their relationship was a dream come true. Maybe one with Michael and Liz would seem a little more real, and hold a little more water with a lot of people.

Good point :D .
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
~*Sonia E.*~

Post by ~*Sonia E.*~ »

Peachykin wrote:Liz is not perfect and doesn't always do the right thing. She's occasionally selfish, as are a lot of teenage girls. But to me that makes her more real. Human.

Michael is blunt, often rude. He is what he is and makes no apologies for that. You either like him or you don't. He's raw and uncooth. if you want romance, go elsewhere. And to me that makes him more real. its actually part of what makes him human.

If that makes sense.

Ooohhh, Peachykin you make absolute sense. I took the parts of your post that I absolutely agreed with and I couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly how I always viewed Liz and Michael's characters.
Peachykin
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Peachykin »

And its also about preference. If you like a guy like Max who's more romantic and attentive, then you'll likely go for Max and Liz's realtionship. Which I admit is, at least in the first season, very romantic. Lots of girl would love that.

Then you have Michael the bad boy, who won't bring you flowers, serenade you, or say fancy words, but you'll get his brand of passion and physicality. He's realistic when it comes to love but not impervious. He's harder to get to I think, but the reward is great.

And if you don't buy into the love angle of Michael and Liz, think of it this way. Michael is an incredible puzzle. And enigma if you will. And Liz always loves a good mystery. :lol:
Bubblegal
Addicted Roswellian
Location: In my own little head where Roswell is still on and Max and Liz were never apart.

Post by Bubblegal »

Ella1022 wrote:Okay I have a question for the polars. I'm obviously not one, but that doesn't mean I haven't tried to understand.

One thing I always hear is like what Peachykin said about the unresolved sexual tension between Michael and Liz. I admit this goes completely over my head, because wasn't there a scene where Rath kissed Liz and Liz was under the impression it was Michael, and her reaction was complete disgust. THat always convinced me that she'd never harbored any secret feelings or attraction for Michael. Does anyone else remember this part? I think it was from Meet the Dupes?

Honest curiosity here.
I think it was mostly to do with the fact that Michael and Liz had that moment together when Michael took Liz's Diary 'Thank you for giving me one more reason to evny Max Evans' they took it as Michael fancied Liz and was envy of Max for having that kind of girl or something like that, you need to ask a polar fan, i can't stand it.

I'm a non Max/Liz other shipping kind, i can't see them with anyone else for some reason, i know it's not just a one off thing cause it happens with the other couples i'm firmly hooked on.

My fave would have to be Alex/Tess or even Tess/Sean, i always wondered what their reaction to each other would be, we never had any scenes with Sean and Tess except when Sean was stabbed after they all were held hostages.

I love other couples together cause I always thought Alex/Isabel Michael/Maria were never right for each other, i'm not bashing the fans of them, its just that, Maria/Alex had more potenial together, Michael/Isabel were better together cause they mostly thought of themselves in Seaon 1 and mostly in Season 2.

That just IMO.

Feel free to take it apart of back it up if you wish.
Dani's fics

"I have an irrational fear of Pingu the Penguin, it's not the plasticine that scares me, its the beak that's the abomination." Me to my friend.

'Found the Cosmos Maiden, she's a few stars short of a galaxy.' Rush Sykes - The Last Remnant
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic
Location: Alabama for now, but someday I'll be on a beach in Morocco

Post by FaithfulAngel24 »

I love Michael and Maria their my favorite couple, but sometimes I would get so mad at one or both that I would need an outlit ,and UC is what did it for me. I'm not a huge Liz fan. I'm sorry I'm just not so I usually pair Maria and Max or Maria and Kyle together. I just think they had such unexplored territory. Now one of my favorite ships is Groupies. I love MAria and Alex together for some reason. I guess because they were best friends first it just deepens the relationship.
Now I really liked Tess during the 1st part of season 2. I hate her with Max but I love her with just about anyone else. I know it's odd but I think her and Alex could have had sparklers if the writers would have took it in that direction.
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment