Stargazers and the myth of NC-17

Are you a stargazer? Want more Alex and Isabel? Then come in here and talk about it.

Moderators: truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

Calinia
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Calinia »

adi wrote:If given the choice between

1. the life of a hunted animal , always on guard, constant paranoia been chased by enemies who if they captured you, make death look like a good option and

2. a safe, rich life of comfort

I choose 1. I'd rather live a week with my heart in me than a life with it ripped out.
That's you. In my personal opinion, love is much to ephemeral to as that option 1 would ever be worth considering.
Changing names = sex is sex. How you get there is the characterisation as well as the interesting part. Its identical to "a good body will last you a night but you need a good mind to last you a life time"
Sex isn't sex, and sex especially isn't making love. Having written quite a few non A/I NC-17 scenes I can say that pasting Alex and Isabel's names into it would make them the worst nookie scenes *ever* because nothing would fit anymore.

There are basically two types of NC-17 stories (and this is a very crude definition). The type that is pretty much about nothing but humping and the type where the characters making love is an important and necessary part of the story that enhances it and would make the story less if left out.
The emotional interaction between the characters is the reason we're stargazers and not hormonaly driven breeding machines, I would have thought.
The emotional interaction is the imortant part about every love story, but sooner or later people are going to express their love in a physical way. The question here is why there are relatively few A/I stories where this happens.
Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
holier than thou | katastrophee
Updated 03/16/07 | Updated 02/10/08
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Sternbetrachter »

The emotional interaction is the imortant part about every love story, but sooner or later people are going to express their love in a physical way. The question here is why there are relatively few A/I stories where this happens.
considering that there are more NC17/Mature stories with Isabel than Alex out there, I guess it's partly becaues they don't consider Alex "horny" enough ( :lol: ) or too much of a gentleman for sex :lol:

God that sounds weird when written down :lol:
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

indeed it does. When i was maybe eight, i used to think when someone was horny, they were growing horns and acting like the devil. Sigh, i miss such naive days, indeed i do.
Magic Mushroom Omelets. You know what I'm talking about.

"Do it, or I'll snap your neck, pour jelly on your body, and pray to the GODS OF JELLY... to BURN YOUR SOUL in A JELLY LIKE HELL! Now GET THE JELLY!" - Dane Cook
(Sorry, I was watching Comedy Central)
truelovepooh
Forum Moderator

Post by truelovepooh »

too much of a gentleman for sex
This is excatly it Trude, most people say Alex is too "nice" in RL the nice ones are the ones to watch out for :lol:
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

truelovepooh wrote:
too much of a gentleman for sex
This is excatly it Trude, most people say Alex is too "nice" in RL the nice ones are the ones to watch out for :lol:
still waters being deep you mean? :lol:
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics
Mt Gazer
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Mt Gazer »

Fascinating discussion and I will first say that I was drawn into it by adi, and the fact that I was searching to find his posts after a PM from him.

So thanks new friend.

Now i will join it.

Its the Alex as a gentleman thing. That is what it truly comes down too.

Now people around here in the gazer circle know me and they know my background. Which i am not going into but it took a while before i even read any NC..

tht being said, i do read it but sex is not sex... there is no way to change the names of the characters and have them be in the right places. Even in a sex scene. I have read extensive amounts of anything A/I any rating and believe me there is a difference.

There is as Lindsay pointed out, the friendship and sweetness that is underlying everything they do.

I cringe when they aren't written right in any story, any rating. Becasue it takes a Gazer to understand them. Or a person who is heavy conventionalist and likes all the couples equally.

There are some very beautiful A/I sex scenes out there, that just capture the love of the relationship as well as the innocence and purity of it all.

And I'll throw out something, as a married person my time with my hubby is special and sacred and there are things about our relationship that are ours alone ... I couldn't change that and be with any other partner for the feelings of "Wrong" would be tantamount. I couldn't just substitue him and do the same thing with another person, and have it be the same. :lol: As you cannot change the names and have it be the same. :?

But the thing I am trying to say here is that we are writing on an emotional level and not a mechanical level. Yes the mechanics are the same, or hopefully are... :wink: but its that bond/ that connection you have with your partner, that we gazer writers are also trying to convey.

And so its because of this actually that they are likely the hardest couple to portray in a higher rated story. And it takes a skilled gazer to pull it off. Their bond/connection is very tender and unassuming... the word is pure. And they need to be handled with care to keep that purity intact, even if they are misbehaving, and in a sexual relationship.

I hope I made sense. LOL It was hard to word this and say what I wanted, but i think I got it out...

Rhonda whom you all know as an avid gazer

Mt Gazer/ Velvet Skye
"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth". ~author unknown

Karar Renkenberger
2-8-08
1 lb. 2 oz.
"Too beautiful for earth."
adi
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by adi »

*feint sounds of digging can be heard*

*the digging sound gets louder and louder*

*all of a sudden a hole appears in the middle of this post*

*I get out and wonder if someone can remove my feet from my mouth before I say something else that will get a ton of rocks dropped on me from a great height*

*keeps spade with me so I can dig myself a nice deep hole somewhere else*

My view on this subject as been altered by the comments from other posters.

:)
Mt Gazer
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Mt Gazer »

I'm sorry Adi,

I wasn't trying to change your opinion as I realize that this has been a longstanding topic...

it was just so fun to read all the takes on it that i wanted to make a statement.. thats all.

Thanks for alerting me, if indirectly, to this thread LOL

Mt Gazer
"An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. Then whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth". ~author unknown

Karar Renkenberger
2-8-08
1 lb. 2 oz.
"Too beautiful for earth."
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Since I haven't read all the post on this topic this might have been mentioned if so sorry but I'm going to say it.

I think the whole Stargazing NC-17 myth has to do with only one thing,Alex.On the show he was shown as one of the rarest things out there.He was a guy who was willing to show his girl how much he loved her with out pressuring her for sex.

I think that's why in many stories we get to see the love but no sex.In these stories Alex spends most of his time helping Isabel and she spends most of her time in the end crying about how she dosen't deserve Alex,which of course ends with him saying yes she does and kissing her.

So I think the whole thing deals with the fact that Alex was able to say but more importantly SHOW Isabel that he loves her with out him bringing the topic or pressure of sex into it.

Of course I could be wrong but oh well :oops:
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

I think that's why in many stories we get to see the love but no sex.In these stories Alex spends most of his time helping Isabel and she spends most of her time in the end crying about how she dosen't deserve Alex,which of course ends with him saying yes she does and kissing her.
that sounds like you are a little bit tired of such stories :lol:
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics