The Redemption of Tess and Stargazers

Are you a stargazer? Want more Alex and Isabel? Then come in here and talk about it.

Moderators: truelovepooh, Forum Moderators

RoswellFan1947
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswellFan1947 »

Dreamer's are my favorite couple and Gazer's are my second....
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

i'm hardcore conventional. Mostly i dont care who Kyle dates, as long as M/L, M/M, and A/I exists. I/J is impossible to imagine, and T/anything but K is downright dead to me as in never being acknowledged. (as long as Tess isn't evil.)
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

It's true,the best and easiest way to have a happy Stargazing story is to never have Tess go bad.

And its T/K and I/A all the way.I can take a few UC couples but deep down in the end for me to be happy it has to be those two couples.
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

An interesting question. Speaking for myself, I think that, had Katims had the brains that God promised a doorknob, he would have developed Kyle and Tess as a full blown romance. They had as much chemistry as any duo on the show, and in time they could have rivaled Max and Liz as the "it" couple.

As far as redemption goes, if you can imagine it, you can write it. Missus KK warned me when I started writing, that any Rosfic that I wrote had to redeem Tess. I think I managed it...now I just have to find time to finish it.

Laters,
Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
Sternbetrachter
Roswell Fanatic

Post by Sternbetrachter »

well, you certainly have many readers who are waiting patiently :)
Colin Hanks
icon by elv_graphics
nefarious_liaison
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by nefarious_liaison »

Yes, I've noticed that many stargazer fictions tend to redeem our petite, alien friend. I try to think about it realistically. I mean, many of us even those dreamers who despised her from the beginning, could not see her murdering someone, let alone Alex. Also, if she hadn't mindwarped Alex, the writers still could've taken a nasty turn with his character. So really we have no idea what would've happened in a season three where Alex and Tess would've been left in tact. Though, I am definitely a believer that if they'd been left alone that we would, maybe, be currently revving up for a season seven.

I think another reason is that subconsciously stargazers relate Tess more to Isabel than to Alex. In a way, Tess brought a lot to Isabel's character by being her friend even though the close friendship didn't seem to last very long on the show (from my standpoint). So you could take that evidence and relate it back to Alex by saying that Tess made it easier for Alex to break down Isabel's other walls (as we know that he broke down a few mid first season). Also, Isabel did save her life in "Surprise." I don't think it's a very good way of paying back the person that saved your life by killing her significant other. So I think denial plays a huge role in why stargazers see Tess in another light in fan fiction.

As we've seen made by a fair few others and admitted by many in the fandom, we know that Tess is a shades-of-grey character. There are so many facets to her personality that weren't explored until fan fiction authors realized the potentional of this particular character trait. She's a dynamic character. She went through many changes thanks to the Valentis and found her own potentional in their little family unit more than she did with the Pod Squad. Unfortunately, I don't believe the writers took her uniqueness seriously and decided that because she was raised by a killer, she'd become one. Though, that is one route (though easy and stupidly portrayed as it was...) to take. (But to be fair, this route was also taken because Colin Hanks had other projects and the writers couldn't think of anything more creative to do with his character until he could come back... So they killed Alex off...)

I don't think it has anything to do with understanding Tess better than others. Really, everyone has their own opinions on particular characters. If you think about it, Tess is probably more liked than Isabel in the fandom as a whole. Though, I do believe that who you ship does play a role in the dislike of other characters, not just Tess. A majority of dreamers disliked Tess from the beginning, due to her interference of Max and Liz's happiness. Then there are those who believe she helped develop Max's and Liz's characters by giving Liz a run for her money when it came to Max. So really it just depends how you correlate Tess to the other characters.

I think over time others have seen the light with Tess' character. Many of us were a bit young and inexperienced to understand the implications of her character, so having so many years to ponder what could've been versus what actually happened has sunk in and given us more perspective. It's quite obvious to see the fandom has evolved and that there are many more Tess-likers today than there were four years ago.

As you can tell, I'm one to say "It's the writers fault!" Not only this, but I also like to think about it this way: If Alex were to see the route they [the writers] took with season three, do you think he'd want to be on the show to see his own character destroyed like all the other characters were? I sometimes like to think he was better off dead than be at the mercy of the evil writers.
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

nefarious_liaison wrote:As you can tell, I'm one to say "It's the writers fault!" Not only this, but I also like to think about it this way: If Alex were to see the route they [the writers] took with season three, do you think he'd want to be on the show to see his own character destroyed like all the other characters were? I sometimes like to think he was better off dead than be at the mercy of the evil writers.
Oh my, you read my mind. The corollary to my earlier statement of "if you can imagine it, you can write it" is...if you can't imagine it, you can't write it. Yin and yang. For years now I've maintained that by the middle of season two, there were fic writers, hordes of them, who were turning out better and more internally consistent (and certainly far more pleasing and entertaining) work than those professional writers on the show who were drawing a paycheck to crank out that drek we were presented with on Roswell. They couldn't imagine a Tess outside of that idiotic love triangle, or an Alex who was actually, you know, an integral part of the action. So they took us to cliche-ville and kept us there as the show crashed and burned around their ears.

I've always believed that, given the way the show went, Alex got off lucky. He was dead before the real massacre of the characters began. By the time they show was over, the only character I had left that I could even vaguely like was Kyle, and he was slipping.

Laters,
Rick
Last edited by Kzinti_Killer on Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

The fact of the writers of Roswell being stupid is a well proven fact :roll:

First off Kyle and Tess had more chemistry going for them than any couple on the show as far as I'm concerned.They would have been a great couple.But no the morons writting the show had to have her chasing after Max. :roll:

Plus why kill Alex off anyway.Yes I know that C.H. had to leave but Christ its a show about aliens why didn't they have him just go missing and the Pod Squad running around trying to find out what happened to him *cough* Khivar *cough*.When his movie work was over bring C.H. back and we'd have our Alex back

But no those morons not only killed him but had Tess the killer :roll: :twisted:
destinysucks
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by destinysucks »

Possibly because star gazers are nice people?? lol :-)

No in all seriousness I think it's because (me personaly anyway) we belive that Tess has good reddemable qualities and is at heart a good person and was just warped by her wicked son of a b***h "father" figure.
Izzy&Alex 4eva
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Izzy&Alex 4eva »

Good question.
Mainly because Stagazers bash characters/couples way less than any other group in the fandom.

As for me it's not something i like to see.
Tess was bad from the get go and that's final!!!

Sorry Tess Fans i just don't like to redeem Evil,lieing,manipulating,murdering bitches who's only purpose it was to spread their legs.

And no that is not Bashing, that's the truth. A Bashing would me saying that Tess was a decent respectable young woman :lol:
Because then i would be telling lies.

If i redeemed someone like that, then what's next?
Will i then think it's ok to club a baby seal, kill my parents:|
killjoy wrote:First off Kyle and Tess had more chemistry going for them than any couple on the show as far as I'm concerned.They would have been a great couple.But no the morons writting the show had to have her chasing after Max. :roll:
:shock: What were you thinking when you thought this?
That's the type of reply i would expect from someone who also Reads Incrowding/Fifthwheeler fics.

What chemistry? Or are you thinking the few scenes in which the writers tried to fool the viewers in thinking that Tess was losing interest in Max?

People only threw them together because they didn't want to bash Tess in fics but also to give Kyle more of a storyline,(and mainly because the other 3 couples were together as they should be) he just needed someone to be with.