Happenstance (Teen,AU,CC) *Starting*

Like to Roswell Role Play? Like to roleplay for other shows too? Like writing fic, but want to write with others and play off their writing? Then you'll like this place

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

littleroswell
Roswell Fanatic

Post by littleroswell »

~PHILLIP~

I stand up as Max comes in. I can see him switch to doctor mode and I can't believe how relieved I am to see him. I pull him into a quick hug and frown down at Michael. "No, nobody has told me a damn thing. The woman who brought me in here said the doctor would come and talk to me but I haven't seen or heard anything. I did try to wake Michael and talk to him but he isn't responding to me. I don't know where your mother and Isabel are. They should be here by now. I hope they haven't wrecked racing here."

I am trying to remain calm but I'm worried about my son, my wife and my daughter. I glance up and notice some girl standing outside the room on the opposite wall. I turn back to Max, dismissing the girl from my mind. "You think you could speed the process along?" I ask him.
Just call me Phoenix...cause I'm back from the dead!
isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

OOC -- is Michael's doctor a man or a woman? I'll change this if you like.

*Max*

"I hope not, too," I say as Dad pulls me into a hug and expresses his hope that Isabel and Mom haven't managed to have an accident. "I'm sure they've just been delayed," I add, hoping that I'm right.

"You think you could speed the process along?" he asks.

"Yeah, I'll try," I say slowly as my gaze goes to Michael's bruised and bandaged face. It was easier when I was just reading the monitors but this isn't just a patient. It's my brother.

I move to the foot of his bed and pick up his chart, looking through it for the name of the attending physician. Dr. Melrose. I know him, although not well. He has a good reputation among the residents in terms of technical ability. Reason for admittance just says 'trauma due to accident.' That doesn't shed any new information. There are a few more details about the extent of his injuries, but I decide not to mention that to Dad just now. It's a bit worse than I had thought -- or it could be. I haven't seen his x-rays so I don't really know.

I'm about to hit the call button but that will only bring the nurse again. Instead, I pick up the phone and hit the intercom. "Paging Dr. Melrose. Please come to room 416. Dr. Melrose please come to room 416."

loviedovie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by loviedovie »

~Isabel~

“Dammit.” I muttered, slowing my car down to a stop. There must be an accident up ahead because nobody in front of me was moving at all.

I took a deep breath and flipped my radio on. “Just breathe” by Anna Nalick was playing, how appropriate I thought.

After about fifteen excruciating minutes and one phone conversation with my mother, assuring her that I was fine and on my way, the road finally cleared up and I was pulling into the driveway.

I hurried up the pathway and opened the door, not even bothering to knock. “Mom?”
~ Cayla :)

loviedovie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by loviedovie »

~Isabel~

"I'm sure everything is fine, Michael is a strong boy,"

I smile bravely and nodded before getting into my car. “He sure is.”

Thankfully the traffic was light and the hospital was nearby.

My mother and I strode quickly through the hospital, heading to the front desk.

“Excuse me.” I said, getting the nurse’s attention. “Could you please tell us where Michael Evan’s room is? We’re family.”

She flipped through a chart on the desk. “He’s in room 416, however I believe a doctor has just been called in so you might be asked to wait outside.”

I gulped, that did not sound good. “Thank you.” I replied hoarsely.

We took the elevator up to his floor, each too nervous to attempt any small talk. As I lead the way down the hallway, I glanced briefly at a distressed looking girl holding a foam cup in her hands. I briefly wondered who it was she was worrying about and waiting for.

I almost missed the room in my haste. I pushed the door open carefully, my eyes darting immediately to my brother’s still form on the bed. I stifled a cry at the sight. My father was holding his hand gently, and Max stood nearby.

isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

*Max*

After paging the doctor, I turn back to my father. I want to re-assure him and tell him that Michael is going to be perfectly fine but I don't know enough about the case yet. I don't want to give false assurances.

"I'm sure Mom and Isabel will be here soon. We'll all get through this together," I say. Once again, I start to wonder about how Michael has distanced himself from our family. A situation like this should help him draw closer again -- unless he's being particularly stubborn. I hope that doesn't happen. Mom doesn't need that. I see how Dad is clinging to Michael's hands and I remember his words about trying to rouse him. "I don't think he's going to wake up soon. He's on some pretty strong pain-killers."

I barely get the words out and the door opens. I look up, expecting Dr. Melrose but instead it's Isabel. She's followed closely by Mom. Isabel looks a bit ashen and Mom goes straight to Dad's side, kissing him and standing close.

"No, we haven't talked to the doctor yet. I just paged him again," I say, giving Isabel a strong hug. The words 'Everything is going to be all right," leap to my mind, but I prevent myself from saying them. I don't think he's in great danger of dying but I'm afraid of brain-damage or permanent injury. I need to see those x-rays.

I pick up Michael's chart again and start looking at every detail. The x-rays aren't here and I don't understand why. I'm searching for any clues I can find. Even the proscribed drugs give me a clue, but I want to talk to the doctor.
littleroswell
Roswell Fanatic

Post by littleroswell »

Occ: Alizaleven, I hope this is ok. It just seemed like everyone was waiting for someone else to post for what the doctor was going to say so I thought I'd bite the bullet. If this isn't ok, let me know and I'll change it.

~PHILLIP~

When Diane and Isabel come in, I immediately put on a lighter face. As Diane comes and stands by me, I put an arm around her shoulders and squeeze her into my side. "I'm sure he's fine, Diane. Max says it looks like he's on some pain killers that are making him sleep," I say to reassure her. Then I glance up at Isabel and hold out my other hand for her. "Hey, you. Don't look so glum. Michael is going to be fine!"

At that moment, the door opens and an older man in a white lab coat comes in. I assume he's Dr. Melrose. He smiles at Max. "Dr. Evans! I didn't realize that this patient was related to you. I would have had your office called right away." He shakes Max's hand and then turns back to all of us with a serious smile, if there is such a thing. Only a doctor can pull something like that off. "Well, I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that Michael is going to be ok. He took a nasty fall, broke his left forearm and pulled the shoulder out of socket. The worst of his injuries, however, is to his head." I feel Diane catch her breath at that and I admit that I'm worried about that statement as well. I frown and wait for him to continue. "He has a pretty bad concussion and there is some brain swelling. The worst of it is that he's in a coma. That isn't necessarily worrisome but it can be if he doesn't come out of it soon. We won't know how extensive any brain damage might be until he wakes up."

I hear Diane gasp and Isabel goes even paler. My frown deepens and I look down at Michael, swallowing. He was always a smart kid, too smart for his own good and now he might have brain damage. I look over at Max to see his reaction to all this. His reaction will give me an indication of just how bad this is.
isabelle
Roswell Fanatic

Post by isabelle »

*Max*

"He's my brother," I say quietly as Dr. Melrose recognises me expresses surprise that his patient is my relative. Evans isn't a very uncommon name so that's easy to understand.

I listen as he tells my father about Michael's condition. All of this is pretty much what I'd deduced just from looking at his chart, but I couldn't tell dad conclusively without the test results. I nod as he talks about how Michael isn't in imminent danger but the biggest fear is brain damage.

"That's what I thought," I confirm to Dr. Melrose. "But I didn't see any X-rays with his chart. Did you do an MRI?"

"Of course," Dr. Melrose says, handing me a thin folder. His smile is still calm and serious but I imagine that I detect a hint of pride at my question. "I was just picking up the results now.

I open the folder and take a look, trying to guage the extent of the damage. Every time I try to focus on the details, the image of my brother comes to mind. The way we played like scamps in the backyard. How we'd teased Isabel mercilessly. The night he and I had stayed out all night drinking after I got my doctorate. I want that Michael back and it makes it hard to read the chart. Now I know why they don't like doctors treating their own family. But I push through it and focus as best I can.

I can feel my father's eyes on me and I know what he's waiting for. Some indication of how bad it really is. "It'll be okay, Dad. Michael will make it. If he needs help, we'll be there for him," I promise. Just as Dr. Melrose said, Michael isn't in danger for his life. It's just the brainswelling and the coma. How long will he stay under? Will there be brain damage?

"It looks like the major swelling is near his temporal lobe," I say, frowning. That area features in speech, hearing and memory. Especially emotional memories...
littleroswell
Roswell Fanatic

Post by littleroswell »

~PHILLIP~

I feel a little relief with Max's words but I'll feel much better when Michael wakes up. Turning back to the doctor, I ask, "What the hell happened to him anyway?" I deliberately swore, trying to get Diane focused on something other than our son lying there in a coma. Besides, I do want to know what happened to him and I'm going to get some answers.
littleroswell
Roswell Fanatic

Post by littleroswell »

~PHILLIP~

Doctors! They always repeat the bad news when they think you don't have it in your head yet. We know Michael's in a coma! He said that already! I frown as I realize something. "Well, if he hit his head when he fell, who helped him?" I ask.

I look at Diane and Isabel, trying to get their mind off of Michael lying in that bed so badly. I know this is hard on Max too but he's strong and a doctor who knows the situation. My girls are scared and wrestling with their fears.
loviedovie
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by loviedovie »

~Isabel~

"I'd like to say that he'll be just fine, but he hasn't woken up yet, so there is the chance that he's gone into a coma."

I tried my best to grasp this information as the doctor spoke, but my head was still spinning from the reality of the situation. I couldn’t stand to think of Michael lying there, unmoving, unspeaking for much longer.

As a matter of fact I was still expecting him to sit up and give me one of his warm hugs, reassuring me that he was perfectly fine.

"Well, if he hit his head when he fell, who helped him?" My father asked, taking my eyes away from Michael’s still form.

I swiftly moved my eyes to Dr. Melrose, curious to hear his reply.