Good Advice on how to Role Play...

Like to Roswell Role Play? Like to roleplay for other shows too? Like writing fic, but want to write with others and play off their writing? Then you'll like this place

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Bordersinsanity
Obsessed Roswellian

Good Advice on how to Role Play...

Post by Bordersinsanity »

Back by popular demand... well, by one user in particular that begged for me to bring this thread back because they feel that it helps the newbies that are just getting into RPG a little more insight from the more experienced players.

So, to make a long story short you experienced players this thread is for you to give pointers and good ideas on how you get long lasting RPG threads...

For those not so experienced... if you have questions or concerns on what to do or how to do it this thread's for you.

thanks
Jen
<center>Image
Archives | Rules | Plagiarism | Fundraising</center>
StormWolfstone
Roswell Fanatic

Post by StormWolfstone »

Thanks, Jen. :D

Sometimes, I realize that we have people that are new to the role play aspect and feel that those of us who are experienced shouldn't force them out simply because they are new, we should help them. Unfortunately it seems as though RF is one of the few places where helping is what happens.

So, a few tips to start off with that I think should be mentioned.

1) Try and remember that when posting, so it doesn't confuse people, to label which character you are writing for. Especially for those of us that write more then one character.

ex: ~Liz~

2) I know it's not always easy to come up with something to write, don't be afraid to mentions something.... but also don't forget that sometimes what will make a post more spectacular isn't just the actions and dialogue but the thoughts of the character.

3) The more you write, the more others have to work with and if you have an idea that involves another person's character, PM them and ask them about it. That way, if there is dialogue you'd like to add, or actions that belong to the other character, you can get permission before actually doing it.

4) Even though you may be excited to get a role play moving, remember sometimes life get's in the way and players may not be able to post ten times a day so it's not easy for them to remain completely caught up if you are posting rapidly. Let others have the chance to catch up.

There are others, but at the moment, my focus is a bit off, but this should help get things started.
A List of All My Fics

My Avatar is an amazing Thai actor named Earth, he also goes by Cooheart and the BL's he acts in inspire writing.
AntarPrince04
Addicted Roswellian

Post by AntarPrince04 »

Hi Storm!

I am so glad to see this here. You are so right, Of caurse. :lol:
I've had to couch Numerious people on how to Rp. Tooting my own horn I'd like to say that, that can be fun, but it does get repeatitive. This is a nice starting point for newbie Roleplayers...

Chris

Oh and I'd also like to add to it:

Don't be afriad to ask for help posting from another player for Ideas. However, this doesnt mean the "Help" will write your post for you. Its up to you to post your part from the ideas they helped you get.

Sometimes they WILL post for you (Im guiulty on occasion myself), but it is gernerally up to you to write it out
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FallenMagic »

I know I've been out of the rpg world for ages but that doesn't mean I don't peak in now and again :wink: Thought I'd come by and drop in my pearls of wisdom so to say :lol:

I think Storm got most of it but one other thing I always found helpful was that if you don't know what to post, or what to do next, hand over the oppurtunity to someone else. Just post a short dialogue basically shifting the scene to someone who does know where to go.

For example you, as Maria, don't know how to go about making a decision in some crisis, simply post

~Maria~

Confused and upset, Maria turned to Liz, "I don't know what to do about him! When will he learn? Liz, you gotta help me out here..."

As simple as that at times :D
<center>There are endings and beginnings and then there are Crossroads; and, somehow, in the end all that's left are Pieces Of A Dream</center>
AntarGrrl
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by AntarGrrl »

This might be a stuipd question but I am getting ready to post my first idea for a RPG and since I have never written for one I was wondering when it comes time to start posting the story is there a posting order or do the players just post as they write?
StormWolfstone
Roswell Fanatic

Post by StormWolfstone »

Normally, it's a post as you write thing. Though many times a Player might choose to wait until others have written something. Many times players will wait for the person that started the game to post to start and then they'll post.
A List of All My Fics

My Avatar is an amazing Thai actor named Earth, he also goes by Cooheart and the BL's he acts in inspire writing.
AntarGrrl
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by AntarGrrl »

Okay. Thanks.
astrid_zan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by astrid_zan »

AntarGrrl wrote:Okay. Thanks.

IF YOU WANT TO RP CHECK MY PROFILE

http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/HEZIAN

ITS ABOUT ROSWELL THE NEXT GENERATION WITH MAX'S KIDS ZAN AND CLAUDIA

AND MICHAEL'S KIDS SEAN AND MEGAN GUUERIN ..
sexy hotter