Australian Roswellians #4 - Home of the Drop Bear

The place for non-Americans to talk about the show and everything else.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Heavenli24
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Heavenli24 »

Hey, I'm gatecrashing again :lol: !
Aussie_Dreamer wrote: killjoy, I suppose it is hard to pick up the difference betwen a Brit accent and an Aussie one. If you don't really hear either. It's like Canada and the US. We can't tell the difference...well, I can't.
I have to agree with you about the US/Canada accents - I don't know the difference yet either :roll: .
Aussie Dreamer wrote:If you want some great Brit phrases - listen to Spike or Giles talk. Especially Spike.
Yeah, Giles and Spike do use some good British phrases, although I'd be careful how you use them (especially the British swear words) - I've seen some rather interesting fanfic quotes from them before, like 'bloke' being used as a derogatory term or using the phrase 'shagging hell' (no such phrase exists as far as I know) :roll: .

Also, it's best to keep in mind that although Spike's accent is passable as English, there is not a single person in our country that talks like that (it's a mixture of a northern and a Cockney accent and something totally different)!
Aussie Dreamer wrote:And I don't know about them, but we're fairly ...vocal sometimes. As a stereotype, we get drunk a lot, we swear a lot, we're sports mad...
For me, one out of three ain't bad...I'll leave you guys to guess which one.
To be honest, although the general English stereotype is quiet, reserved and tea drinking, we're actually more like your stereotype - we drink a lot (too much, probably - we have the highest teenage binge-drinking rates in Europe), swearing a lot and going crazy over football!
Aussie Dreamer wrote:Our latest tourist campaign - which was banned in England for this, btw - ends with 'So where the bloody hell are you?'

I like it, but they didn't.
Actually, in the end, they did like it. Only a couple of days after I heard the advert had been banned, I read an article saying they'd changed their minds, and the commercial has been showing here for a couple of months now.

I was noticing the other day they were showing an OC special again, and interviewing everyone after season 1.
When I watch an American show, I think nothing of the accent.
Same with an Australian show.
Aussie Dreamer wrote:But when you put an Aussie in an interview with Americans and you hear them talk, it's like, 'do we really sound like that?'
Same with Lost. Emilie and Kimberley (only one of which we really know at all) sound so different...exaggerated, sometimes...next to the others.
Ah, good old 'Jim Robinson' as Caleb in The OC!! Speaking of The OC - Benjamin McKensie (Ryan) is at this moment less than half a mile from my house - filming a movie (haven't seen him though, they're filming in the local castle and you can't see anything from the road)!
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

Aussie_Dreamer wrote:
Vee, you've been a fan for three years? You only got into it once Fox8 started showing it, didn't you?
i dunno exactly when foxtel started showing it but by the time i was in yr 7 (three years ago now) i was hooked so... *shrugz*

oh and heavenli 24 - ryan's near your house??!?!?! i so hate u right now =P hehe :wink:

newayy i should most definately be studying right now so...
l8erz ppl xoxox

ps i totally heart spike n giles
Aussie_Dreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Aussie_Dreamer »

Hey all!
It's been a week since anyone else was here, so I thought I'd pop in and make sure everyone's still alive.
Yes?
Good.

Vee, how's the studying? Driving you completely nuts? Thinking of strangling the person who came up with the idea of exams and homework?
I'm so there. I have like, three assignments due, well, last week at the latest, but I'll hand them in on Tuesday, which is my last class for the semester.
Just remember, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"!
Fortunately I have most of the weekend off. Might actually put the time to some use. My manager who does the roster is a... well, I can't think of anything right now, but it's not good.
She's rostered me to have the day (and night) off Friday. All well and good, but then she's put me on the Saturday overnight, knowing that I'm technically unavailable.
The last Nightrider services both days are 4:30. After the Friday shift, no big if I miss it. First train's 5:30. After the Saturday shift, there are no trains until 7:30.
Considering I can't usually clock out til 4:30, this is a problem. The taxi costs me $20, and since she's reducing my hours to a minimum over the next few weeks, I can't afford that. Hell, I can barely afford the Nightrider.
Grr. Will have to talk to her about this when I see her.

Anyway, I'm with hating Vee on you Heavenli24....by the way, do you have a name/nickname we could use? ... Having Ben that close to you...or any major celebrity with a personality (and a brain, I guess, wouldn't know for sure :)) ...supremely jealous.

Hey, who saw that episode of Punk'd ages ago where Ashton got Adam? Adam and Ben were hanging out...I don't remember the details, but it was pretty good.

{Sigh} Just looked at the time. 3am.

I've got to stop doing this to myself. But I've been reading some of the round 9 nominees. Excellent stuff there.

Anyway, see you guys later.

Nicki
I have ADOS. Attention Defici...Ooh, Shiny!

"I always thought Australia was just like England, only with Vegemite instead of Marmite."
"Don't let any of the natives hear you say that. You'll have a riot on your hands."
~ Rose and the Doctor in LJC's fic 'Not a Busman's Holiday'
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

posting @ 3am... nice going there

Aussie_Dreamer
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"!
hehe too right, OMG EXAMS ARE OVER! and now its the long weekend (ps why do we celebrate the queens birthday now... and not when lyk 2 months ago when it actually was her bday? :? ) and then i have four days of work experience... my hours are 10-3 ... and i get paid... heyy five bux a day aint much, but its still $$$$

i missed the big punk'd episode... was so dissappointed but from what i heard it was a good ep. ...

damn abt ur manager... my condolonces mate,

newayy i should head off and do sumthing useful, lyk bug my dad abt him giving me a ride 2mrw or whine abt how my brother (who moved out 3 years ago and took the xbox with him... (i mean yeah he payed for it but... i neeeeed my xbox!!))

hehe l8erz all
xoxo
Aussie_Dreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Aussie_Dreamer »

Okay, beating my last post...

It's 5:30am and I haven't been to bed yet. Damn, my sleep cycle is all messed up now.

How's your exams go, Vee? You obviously survived them, I know. And now there's a long weekend.
As for celebrating the queen's bday a month late, I don't know. WA won't celebrate it until October.

So where are you doing work experience? Interesting job? And yeah, 5 bucks a day isn't much...but it's better than nothing. I think legally they can not pay you at all. Maybe. Not really sure.

Um, technically if your brother paid for it, doesn't that make it his Xbox? Or was it a present?
Though you could tell him you need it more.

Oh, by the way, about our missing people....

I'd like to congratulate Kerri (kerri240879) on her baby girl, Isabel Jade, born last month.

Lazza has been online lately, just not to our thread. I think she's trying to juggle catching up with fics and RL, and so doesn't have time for a stop by.

Anyone else, I haven't come across yet, so I don't know.

We'll see.

Nicki

"I always thought Australia was just like England, only with Vegemite instead of Marmite."
"Don't let any of the natives hear you say that. You'll have a riot on your hands."
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

Aussie_Dreamer wrote:

So where are you doing work experience? Interesting job? And yeah, 5 bucks a day isn't much...but it's better than nothing. I think legally they can not pay you at all. Maybe. Not really sure.

Oh, by the way, about our missing people....

I'd like to congratulate Kerri (kerri240879) on her baby girl, Isabel Jade, born last month.
yeah they legally have to pay you now, $5 a day...( for me since i'm only workin 5 hours... yeah!! :D that works out to a buck an hour....)
im doing optometry, hope its intersting,

oooo omg kerri had a girl!?!?! congratulations!!

well jst dropping by...

l8erz xox
vee
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

k so no1z replied 2 my post but im jst gonna post again newayyz...

well 2days the day, australia vs brazil... im hoping we don't get our butt kicked 2 badly, and to win would be very nice... hehe im not a huge soccer nut (this is lyk the first time i'm really watching it,) but from what i've heard brazil's lyk numba 1 and we're forty sumthing.... right?

well gud luck aussiez newayy... and i'm gonna sacrifice my beauty sleep to watch them newayys...

(oh and ps how gorjuz is tim kaheel (howeva u spell it) and oh teh portugal player... christiano ronaldo... *sigh*)

oooh and krispy kreamz opens on thursday... bz week guys...

sum1 reply.. plz?
hehe l8erz
xoxo
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

woopsiez... double post :lol: :oops:
Aussie_Dreamer
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Aussie_Dreamer »

Hey

It's been a few weeks and I figure I'd pop in and say hi.

It's good that they have to pay you for work experience now. They didn't when my year level did it.
I didn't do work experience. We had a choice. Go to camp or work experience. Going to Canberra for a week sounded like more fun- even if it was for the second time as a school thing.

Interesting note, these days at the War Memorial there's a flag with my uncle's signature on it. I didn't see it last time I was in Canberra (saying with this uncle, actually) cause I was babysitting his kids most days.

Pity about the World Cup, but what can you do? Anyone have a time machine on them? Nope? Oh well. Next time.

Let's see, what's new with me...? I've been watching Danny Phantom a lot lately. Reading a lot of DP fanfic- which is interesting since Nickelodeon skips a few key episodes, and the plotline gets confusing.

{Sigh} My sleep cycle is beyond messed up at the moment. Last weekend started it. I woke up about 10:30am Fri, and then didn't get to sleep til about 6am Sun. Slept until midnight, didn't go to sleep until 3am next night. And so on. Basically been spending my days sleeping/working, and my nights reading fanfic/working.
With the occasional TV in there too. I'll try to get some sleep tonight, cos I have work the next couple days.
At least I'm not working the overnight tomorrow. I hate that shift.

So, Krispy Kremes is open. Did you hear about the guy on opening day who got 30 boxes?! That would've cost a near fortune! And apparently the first person in got a year's supply free.
I had to wait until the Sat morning, and by that stage they had a 2 box limit. Waited for just under an hour, so not bad considering.
Went again this last Saturday and was a little late for work cos our taxi didn't show. Gr. Luckily there was a bus to Berwick station.

Anyway, Medium has just started so I'm going to go watch.

TTFN
Nicki

pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

crispy creams is open... and i've gotten 3 donuts for free and i haven't left the house... to get the donuts that is...
friends in high places.. or friends with the patience to sit in the 24 hour drive through from 1am in the morning till 2am...

my sleep cycle is completely screwed, and being a melbourne private school girl, i've had an extra week of the holz which is great 4 watching the world cup... but i start school tuesday morning

and the earliest i got up this week was 11am....

okay so there was no time machine 4 aus in teh world cup so i then sided with portugal...

and then we came fourth
oh well losing to the hosts is okay, i guess, germanys a cool team newayys

is ne1 watching the final tonight?
and is ne1 besides nicki and me still posting here? hehe
tb ppl...