Was Michael Abusive?

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

User avatar
SidneyAce
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby SidneyAce » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:56 am

First i would like to point out that i haven't read all eight pages of this thread but i've read enough.

I am a huge Roswell fan especially the third season so i can't just hear someone say that the writing in the third season was bad and just let it go. Everything in the third season made sense to me, how the characters reacted, how they had grown and the storylines. Maria wasn't the same after Alex's death. She didn't play anymore. She wasn't the same person. Her life was about and for Michael and nothing else. It wasn't the real Maria, especially when you think of how strong she is. Of course she had to walk away. She should have done that long before that. It wasn't about loving Michael, it was about loving herself. She left Michael to find Maria. Maria and Liz lost themselves to the alien mess. They both had to leave in third season either to Borden school or NY. They had to figure out what their lives would be like without Michael and Max. They needed to know that they have options. That they have some kind of control on their lives. It was only right and sensible for strong characters like theirs. And i can't believe how you want them to stay with Michael and Max just out of gratitude. So what if Max saved Liz or Michael stayed for Maria. That doesn't mean they own them. Girls aren't property, you know.

About whether Michael was or wasn't abusive. In general he wasn't but in some ways he was. Like how he almost hurt Maria when Billy was around. Granted he couldn't help his powers but still, he almost hurt her and he scared her. I think she almost cried. And when he became a king he pushed her out of a moving car. Yes, he was under whatever it was. But i can't help thinking if he wasn't ready to be a king, they wouldn't have made him one. Maybe that's how abusive Michael is, because he has no power over his powers. :?
Image

"..I get hungry for love and thirsty for life
And much too full on the pain"
-Jason Mraz

User avatar
Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:29 am
Location: On Moya, keeping an eye on Aeryn because Crichton is MINE!
Contact:

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby Earth2Mama » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:20 am

SidneyAce wrote:First i would like to point out that i haven't read all eight pages of this thread but i've read enough.

I am a huge Roswell fan especially the third season so i can't just hear someone say that the writing in the third season was bad and just let it go. Everything in the third season made sense to me, how the characters reacted, how they had grown and the storylines. Maria wasn't the same after Alex's death. She didn't play anymore. She wasn't the same person. Her life was about and for Michael and nothing else. It wasn't the real Maria, especially when you think of how strong she is. Of course she had to walk away. She should have done that long before that. It wasn't about loving Michael, it was about loving herself. She left Michael to find Maria. Maria and Liz lost themselves to the alien mess. They both had to leave in third season either to Borden school or NY. They had to figure out what their lives would be like without Michael and Max. They needed to know that they have options. That they have some kind of control on their lives. It was only right and sensible for strong characters like theirs. And i can't believe how you want them to stay with Michael and Max just out of gratitude. So what if Max saved Liz or Michael stayed for Maria. That doesn't mean they own them. Girls aren't property, you know.

About whether Michael was or wasn't abusive. In general he wasn't but in some ways he was. Like how he almost hurt Maria when Billy was around. Granted he couldn't help his powers but still, he almost hurt her and he scared her. I think she almost cried. And when he became a king he pushed her out of a moving car. Yes, he was under whatever it was. But i can't help thinking if he wasn't ready to be a king, they wouldn't have made him one. Maybe that's how abusive Michael is, because he has no power over his powers. :?

WID!!! Can't say it any better myself.
Winner - Best Feedbacker Award Round 6
Winner – Funniest Feedbacker & Most Helpful Fanatic Award Round 14
Winner - Most Thought-Provoking Feedbacker Award Round 15

Image
made by April :D

4-ever a lamptrimming, stargazing, candy-hearted dreamer!

Tumblr- elliesinwonderland | YouTube - Earth2Mother

User avatar
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Washington

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby Cocogurl » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:38 pm

SidneyAce wrote:First i would like to point out that i haven't read all eight pages of this thread but i've read enough.

I am a huge Roswell fan especially the third season so i can't just hear someone say that the writing in the third season was bad and just let it go. Everything in the third season made sense to me, how the characters reacted, how they had grown and the storylines. Maria wasn't the same after Alex's death. She didn't play anymore. She wasn't the same person. Her life was about and for Michael and nothing else. It wasn't the real Maria, especially when you think of how strong she is. Of course she had to walk away. She should have done that long before that. It wasn't about loving Michael, it was about loving herself. She left Michael to find Maria. Maria and Liz lost themselves to the alien mess. They both had to leave in third season either to Borden school or NY. They had to figure out what their lives would be like without Michael and Max. They needed to know that they have options. That they have some kind of control on their lives. It was only right and sensible for strong characters like theirs. And i can't believe how you want them to stay with Michael and Max just out of gratitude. So what if Max saved Liz or Michael stayed for Maria. That doesn't mean they own them. Girls aren't property, you know.

About whether Michael was or wasn't abusive. In general he wasn't but in some ways he was. Like how he almost hurt Maria when Billy was around. Granted he couldn't help his powers but still, he almost hurt her and he scared her. I think she almost cried. And when he became a king he pushed her out of a moving car. Yes, he was under whatever it was. But i can't help thinking if he wasn't ready to be a king, they wouldn't have made him one. Maybe that's how abusive Michael is, because he has no power over his powers. :?


I guess it all depends on how you look at it. It's not really that the third season was bad. I'm a super Roswell fan, so ultimately, every season is good to me. :D It's just that the forgot about A LOT in the 3rd season and left us with so many questions unanswered. It's like they forgot about the stories they were telling the first two seasons and that just bugs me a little.

And I don't think anyone wants Liz and Maria to stay with the guys out of gratitude. How romantic is that? Simply staying someone because of what they've done for you? That would take all the magic out of the dreamer and the candy relationship if it was out of obligation rather than love. But some of Liz's decisions, to me, made more sense to me than Maria's did. If she wanted to just find herself, that's fine. But then she thought it was okay to use Michael when she wanted sex or needed someone to be right there for her. And then she got all pissy with everyone in the series finale when they were finally giving her what she wanted. A life without the alien drama.

And I think if we're going to call Michael abusive, we should think of moments where he was in complete control of himself. I think it's unfair to call him abusive because he can't always control his powers very well, it's not like he ever used them to harm Maria. If I call Michael abusive because the moment when Billy was there and when he was under the influence of that seal, than any time any of the aliens didn't have complete control of their abilities, than they would be considered abusive as well. :roll: There powers are tied to their emotions and just because we sometimes lose control of our emotions, it doesn't mean any of us are abusive.

User avatar
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian
Posts: 754
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby nibbles2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:42 pm

And i can't believe how you want them to stay with Michael and Max just out of gratitude. So what if Max saved Liz or Michael stayed for Maria. That doesn't mean they own them. Girls aren't property, you know.


I completely agree with you on this point. So many people say they hate Maria because she broke up with Michael after he had stayed for her. Just because Michael made a decision to stay on earth does not mean that Maria should be tied to him for the rest of her life it she doesn't want to be.

About whether Michael was or wasn't abusive. In general he wasn't but in some ways he was. Like how he almost hurt Maria when Billy was around. Granted he couldn't help his powers but still, he almost hurt her and he scared her. I think she almost cried. And when he became a king he pushed her out of a moving car. Yes, he was under whatever it was. But i can't help thinking if he wasn't ready to be a king, they wouldn't have made him one. Maybe that's how abusive Michael is, because he has no power over his powers.


Abusive can mean more than physically hurting somebody.

User avatar
Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:29 am
Location: On Moya, keeping an eye on Aeryn because Crichton is MINE!
Contact:

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby Earth2Mama » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:04 pm

Michael was never abusive ... physically. But at times, his words were.
Winner - Best Feedbacker Award Round 6
Winner – Funniest Feedbacker & Most Helpful Fanatic Award Round 14
Winner - Most Thought-Provoking Feedbacker Award Round 15

Image
made by April :D

4-ever a lamptrimming, stargazing, candy-hearted dreamer!

Tumblr- elliesinwonderland | YouTube - Earth2Mother

User avatar
April
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:32 am
Location: Somewhere. Anywhere.
Contact:

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby April » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:16 pm

nibbles2 wrote:I completely agree with you on this point. So many people say they hate Maria because she broke up with Michael after he had stayed for her. Just because Michael made a decision to stay on earth does not mean that Maria should be tied to him for the rest of her life it she doesn't want to be.


That's a good point. I hate to say I've never really thought of that, but realistically, she wasn't obligated to stay with him even though they loved each other.
Image
LOVE IS MICHAEL AND MARIA.

User avatar
Sydney
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:37 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby Sydney » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:31 am

I would agree that at times Michael's words were abusive. But at the same time...most relatiosnhips have moments where you say mean things to each other. I think what makes it abuse is if it's a pattern. If every day he makes her feel low because of what he says to her then yes I'd say it's abuse. Otherwise I'd just call it an angsty teenage relatiosnhip.

Because let's not forget, at times Maria verbally abused Michael. But I don't think I'd call her abusive.

Just my two cents. ;)

User avatar
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Washington

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby Cocogurl » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:55 am

April wrote:
nibbles2 wrote:I completely agree with you on this point. So many people say they hate Maria because she broke up with Michael after he had stayed for her. Just because Michael made a decision to stay on earth does not mean that Maria should be tied to him for the rest of her life it she doesn't want to be.


That's a good point. I hate to say I've never really thought of that, but realistically, she wasn't obligated to stay with him even though they loved each other.


No one should ever be with someone out of obligation. That's why I--even though I didn't like it--I got why she felt she needed to break up with Michael. But for the love of all that's good and pure, could the woman just figure out what she wanted and stick with it. That was what bugged me. She didn't want Michael, but she wanted to sleep with him, she didn't want Michael, but she expected him to just drop everything to be there for her. She wanted out of the alien chaos, but than she gets pissed off when her feelings are actually respected. It was like, "what the hell do you want, Maria?!" Lol. But that's just how I felt.

And sleeping with Michael, I just expected her to know better. She remembers how awful she felt when Michael would play yo-yo with her and her feelings, so why would she do that to him, especially since he had done nothing but try to be better for her after season 2. No, Maria isn't obligated to stay with him because he stayed for her, but she is obligated to be kinder and more respectful of Michael and his feelings, especially after everything they've been through. I love Maria to death, but the third season wasn't her best.

And yes, Michael, sometimes with his words, could be very mean. But I still wouldn't call him abusive. It's not like Maria didn't dish it out as well as she took it with their verbal sparring. :wink:
Last edited by Cocogurl on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:24 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby killjoy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:55 am

I always got the feeling....on the show and in fanfiction...that Maria got a bit turned on and heated up by the bickering she had with Michael! So I don't think you can call something that gets you all hot and bothered abusive.... :wink: :lol:

User avatar
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Washington

Re: Was Michael Abusive?

Postby Cocogurl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:57 am

killjoy wrote:I always got the feeling....on the show and in fanfiction...that Maria got a bit turned on and heated up by the bickering she had with Michael! So I don't think you can call something that gets you all hot and bothered abusive.... :wink: :lol:


Lol. No, I really don't think you can. :lol:


Return to “M&Ms Melt in Your Mouth, Not in Your Hand”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests