Was Michael Abusive?

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

and that makes for very amusing viewing.
Magic Mushroom Omelets. You know what I'm talking about.

"Do it, or I'll snap your neck, pour jelly on your body, and pray to the GODS OF JELLY... to BURN YOUR SOUL in A JELLY LIKE HELL! Now GET THE JELLY!" - Dane Cook
(Sorry, I was watching Comedy Central)
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic
Location: Alabama for now, but someday I'll be on a beach in Morocco

Post by FaithfulAngel24 »

Michael was just as abusive as MARIA WAS. And can I say Love hurts.

Real love is intrguing,confusing, and a little obsessing someinmes. It's almost supernaturel in the essence that yuou will do almost anything for it and it draws you to it without you even realizing. Real love has pain and sacrafice in it. It is not a fairytale, but it is just as rewarding.

Yay! For Michael and Maria! :D

Liz and Max were the dreamers
Michael and Maria wwere the reality.
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

I think Michael was a little cold and insensitve to Maria on some occassions.But honestly I think Michael had two legitimate excuses why he acted that why.

One-Michael was afraid to show any emotions or get close to Maria because he knew that it was a good chance that sooner or later he,Max,Isabel and later Tess would have to leave Earth and go back to where ever it was they were from.And he knew that if he didn't have feelings for her or if he didn't get close to Maria than when it came time to leave it wouldn't hurt him so bad.

Two-Michael was the one raised in the abusive household.And I think that his theory was that if he closed himself off emotionaly to everyone than there would be no way someone else could get close enough to hurt him like that again.Although Hank's abuse was physical it left emotinal scars in him that are sometimes worse and take longer to heal.

So I think Michael did acted a little gruff and insensitve to Maria because he was scared that if he let her in sooner or later she would hurt him too.So the best way to prevent that would be for him to act like a jerk and act like he didn't care about her.

Ok I hope that made sense? Cause it sounded a lot better in my head than when I tried to write it down. :roll:
pLANETv33n3ss
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pLANETv33n3ss »

michael and maria's relationship was not (in my opinion) abusive.
sure michael was an ass to maria 4 a while but maria wasn't all sugar and spice either. i believe t their relationship was probably the most realistic on the show, no relationship is ever perfect and a lot of the time both parties will do things that are wrong and not understand - michael's whole push maria away but then use her in teh eraser room and maria's use of him during season three before she went to new york,
i doubt this relationship had a negative effect on teenage girls watching the show, if anything i believe that many could have related to it (i know i can)
in fact i believe that max and liz's relationship was more negatively effective towards teenage girls as in my opinion liz was a lot more of a pushover around max than maria (althou it pains me 2 say it as i am first and foremost a dreamer)
Ella1022
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Ella1022 »

I actually agree with what pLANETv33n3ss said. I never viewed it as abusive for those reason too.
"The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"- Romeo from Dark Hunter Series
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

yeah, in all reality, Dreamers are a fantasy. You're not going to have Prince Charming, or King Charming as the case may be. It's unrealistic. M&Ms are real everyday people.
Magic Mushroom Omelets. You know what I'm talking about.

"Do it, or I'll snap your neck, pour jelly on your body, and pray to the GODS OF JELLY... to BURN YOUR SOUL in A JELLY LIKE HELL! Now GET THE JELLY!" - Dane Cook
(Sorry, I was watching Comedy Central)
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

The show had three different kind of love stories, M/L, M/M, and A/I (I won't comment on the I/J), because those represent the love stories the people out there are the most attracted to, prefer to read about or see on tv.

So there were stories for everyone. Just because I prefer the M/M one means that I feel like the M/L or A/I weren't real. They were just completly different, that's all. For the dreamers, the M/L relationship was real, just like we think the M/M was real and the gazers think the A/I was real.

In fact, they are so real that they are real classic, since Shakespeare himself wrote those kind of love stories : Romeo and Juliet (Max and Liz), Petrucchio and Katerina (Michael and Maria), for example. Shakespeare must have taken his inspiration from somewhere, maybe real life ?
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Actually sometimes I think all three couples on the show are representations of a normal relationship, just a different stages of development. OK try to come over to my warped sense of thinking here.

Alex/Isabel-As much as I love Alex and Stargazing you have to admit Alex did fallow Isabel around like a puppy sometimes. This is the early predating stage of a relationship when a guy is doing his best to try to get a girl to notice that he likes her and to have her like him. He'll do anything she ask and go anywhere just so he can be where she is.

Max/Liz-The first stage of a relationship. Kind of like being newlyweds. You know the people you've seen them in public. The one year married people who go "oh I love you." in a sickening sweet voice and than the other goes "Oh but I love you more"

Michael/Maria-Your normal married couple over time. Still have passion, care for one another,still in love but fight just like any normal long term married couple. :lol:

I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone else. :roll: :lol:
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic
Location: Alabama for now, but someday I'll be on a beach in Morocco

Post by FaithfulAngel24 »

Michael/Maria-Your normal married couple over time. Still have passion, care for one another,still in love but fight just like any normal long term married couple.
Very eloquently put!

I completely agree.
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment
AngelicFairy
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by AngelicFairy »

Very eloquently put!

I completely agree.
I completely agree too. Great post Killjoy. :D