Why just Candy?

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: On Moya, keeping an eye on Aeryn because Crichton is MINE!

Post by Earth2Mama »

Crashdown_51 wrote:Hi there. I have a Candy Fic, it's my first one, kinda dark, and mysterious from what my FBers are saying.

"The Vanished"
Sounds interesting. I'm gonna go and read it now :)
Winner - Best Feedbacker Award Round 6
Winner – Funniest Feedbacker & Most Helpful Fanatic Award Round 14
Winner - Most Thought-Provoking Feedbacker Award Round 15

made by April :D

4-ever a lamptrimming, stargazing, candy-hearted dreamer!

Tumblr- elliesinwonderland | YouTube - Earth2Mother
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

AlexEvans wrote:Anyway, it's really hard to do all four (counting K/T) couples justice in one fic. I write Gazer, I sometimes make M/M or K/T the shared focus but I know I can't squeeze four couples into one fic and do something meaningful with all of them.
This is what I find terribly difficult about writing "CC" fics. Yes, I'm a dreamer foremost and I definitely focus on Max and Liz in my stories. I'm also a candy, gazer and lamptrimmer, but it is sooo very hard to give equal time and energy to all of these couplings. They are all very dynamically different, and maybe it's just me but when I write a candy scene I find myself in a completely different frame of mind than when I write dreamer, gazer, etc. It's hard to switch back and forth and still keep my wits about me, lol.

Which is why I admire people like cardinalgirl and Deejonaise who can write these "CC" fics and give all the ships close to equal footing. It IS hard and it takes a lot of time and extreme talent to weave three or four different storylines and make them seamless and enjoyable.

As for just candy fics, I enjoy reading anything by RoswellChic4Ever. She writes terrific candy stories that don't look negatively upon the other characters, which I find is a thing that runs rampant among single-ship focused fics. :?

hugs,

Lindsay
cardinalgirl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by cardinalgirl »

Applebylicious wrote:Which is why I admire people like cardinalgirl and Deejonaise who can write these "CC" fics and give all the ships close to equal footing.
:o Wow! I actually thought I kinda sucked at that... lol Thanks sweetie!
RoswellChic4Ever
Addicted Roswellian
Location: Suburbia, where they tear out the trees and name the streets after them!

Post by RoswellChic4Ever »

THANKS LINDS! I LOVE YOU!!!
"What do I look like? The Wizard of Oz? You need a brain? You need a heart? Go ahead, take mine. Take everything I have."
harroc83
Addicted Roswellian

Post by harroc83 »

I love the whole grou thing also and as stated above I also have a hard time writing in everyone. Maria and Michael's relationship is different so different from Max and Liz and Alex and Isabel. But till this day I don't read Tess in anything. I dont know there jsut something about the charcter that I dont like anyway. I always find it hard to weave all the charcters together so much so that I feel that I'm disappointing people when i am writing.
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

I have to agree with the whole M&M most stable thing, which is scary, because they are fighting every other day. It scares me, yet at the same time, it feels like a warm hug, because i actually know what's going on for the most part. Does that make sense?
girl afraid
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Why just Candy?

Post by girl afraid »

Stardance wrote:I can't help but wonder if because readers are so intrested in just Candy fics that they can't find or won't read others. Many CC stories also center on M&M. I mean I love Candy, but I was a dreamer the first time. I still am, but M&M's have so much too. I think I just wish the every couple could get the spot light. Sorry guys its late and I am lossing my mind slowly but surely. Keep up the good work.
Stardance
P.S. I believe the reason other couples get focused on more is the "What if?" factor. What if A/I. What if K/T. What if there never was M/T, just M/L. I honestly think that Micheal and Maria had the strongest relationship.
Huh? Your post is slightly hard to follow but nevermind.

I'll read any CC fic with a good candy storyline, but so many stories labelled 'CC' are M/L dominated with maybe two candy/stargazer scenes in the entire thing, so I'll only read dreamer, stargazer, etc fics if they've been recommended by one of my candy friends or if the story is by an author who I know is fair to all the characters/ships (like the previously mentioned cardinalgirl and Deejonaise, and I think Applebylicious does a great job on the non M/L characters too).
it's better to rise than fade away.
Spacegirl04
Addicted Roswellian
Location: will change avi if someone else has it; waiting to be admitted to psych ward

Post by Spacegirl04 »

girl afraid wrote:
Stardance wrote:I can't help but wonder if because readers are so intrested in just Candy fics that they can't find or won't read others. Many CC stories also center on M&M. I mean I love Candy, but I was a dreamer the first time. I still am, but M&M's have so much too. I think I just wish the every couple could get the spot light. Sorry guys its late and I am lossing my mind slowly but surely. Keep up the good work.
Stardance
P.S. I believe the reason other couples get focused on more is the "What if?" factor. What if A/I. What if K/T. What if there never was M/T, just M/L. I honestly think that Micheal and Maria had the strongest relationship.
Huh? Your post is slightly hard to follow but nevermind.

I'll read any CC fic with a good candy storyline, but so many stories labelled 'CC' are M/L dominated with maybe two candy/stargazer scenes in the entire thing, so I'll only read dreamer, stargazer, etc fics if they've been recommended by one of my candy friends or if the story is by an author who I know is fair to all the characters/ships (like the previously mentioned cardinalgirl and Deejonaise, and I think Applebylicious does a great job on the non M/L characters too).
Urrrgh I drew a blank as to what i was going to say, but I agree with you for the most part. But its hard to write in or be fair to all the couples otherwise what's the point to writing, no drama no story just my opinion as an author.
My Fics

Save the cheerleader Save the world,-heroes, I say huh?
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

Applebylicious wrote: This is what I find terribly difficult about writing "CC" fics. Yes, I'm a dreamer foremost and I definitely focus on Max and Liz in my stories. I'm also a candy, gazer and lamptrimmer, but it is sooo very hard to give equal time and energy to all of these couplings. They are all very dynamically different, and maybe it's just me but when I write a candy scene I find myself in a completely different frame of mind than when I write dreamer, gazer, etc. It's hard to switch back and forth and still keep my wits about me, lol.
I totally agree with. I think that I, personally, don't have enough talent at writing to do all 4 couples without muddying the story (for you though, Applebylicious, I've read your stories and I certainly think you are a writer who could pull it off wonderfully!) It's just so hard to concentrate on all of the relationships and give each of them problems and have them grow as I couple. I don't know how some writers do it :shock:
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
Ella1022
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Ella1022 »

Stardance

I agree that they had the strongest relationship. I read other fics I love CC fics like Stronger Together, Carnival of Souls, Until We Meet Again, and The Son Series, Splitscreen, Happenstance, and I forget the name but the one where they found Zan Max's Dupe as a little kid in the White Room I think by Tasycat or something like that. I love those fics but alot fo the CC fics are just focused mainly on M/L even though they say CC usually Tess is evil and the replace her with Ava which I don't like to constantly read, and I'm a huge Kyle/Tess fan. I just perfer fics that have a nice combination or not to couple focused. If it's focused than I prefer it to be a couple I like and even then it just depends on what category it is. If a story is so far out there the characters are hardly recognizeable I won't read it even if it's good.
"The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"- Romeo from Dark Hunter Series