Canon discussion : discuss the show

Michael and Maria fighting/making up do it for you? Then enter the M&M Zone.

Moderators: Island Breeze, Forum Moderators

xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Canon discussion : discuss the show

Post by xmag »

Hi

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can discuss the show. Startingt with the pilot : how do you think Liz convinced Maria to let Michael touch her ? she was afraid of him and suddenly she is on her back, with Michael towering above her and touching her ?
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic
Location: Alabama for now, but someday I'll be on a beach in Morocco

Post by FaithfulAngel24 »

I have no idea how they got her to agree with that. LOL :lol: I wish they would have should Liz telling Maria that Michael was gonna have to touch her chest. I bet she huffed and he smirked. :wink: Too Funny :D
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment
~Ruby~
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by ~Ruby~ »

Ah, I remember reading an awesome fic, which was a missing scene for that episode. Gah, I can't remember what it was called since I read it so long ago but it was really funny and cute.
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

I must have missed this one. I only read a fic by Mnemosyne which was very hot and it took place during that scene, in the pilot.

Otherwise, Liz had to have been pretty convincing because Michael was a scary guy and Maria hadn't seen into his soul so she didn't know anything about him, apart from the fact that he was from the wrong side of the track.

But it was great that they interacted so early in the show. It was really foreshadowing of what was to come.
tequathisy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by tequathisy »

I don't think it was about Maria letting Michael touch her it was about Liz and Maria and their friendship.

Think about it, Liz told Maria the most preposterous story ever and Maria believed her. Without seeing any proof like silver handprints or transforming blobs of clay or into anybody's soul. She was freaked out and scared but Liz asked her do something and Maria helped her because that's the type of friend she was. She trusted Liz completely and was always there for her.
Banner by Evelyn
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

Yes, Liz must have convinced Maria that the aliens really needed them and that they were nice. Which wasn't an easy task, when you consider how Michael and Isabel were, in the beginning. Quite scary, the both of them.

It's funny that the show started with Max healing Liz, and Liz took what happened between her and Max and "gave it" to Michael and Maria. She made them replayed the M/L scene :shock: .

I also found funny that Maria, at the Crash festival, was green from head to toe. Green as in "little green men". Michael must have appreciated the effort :lol: . Ha, that reminds me of a fic, in early season 1, where Michael kisses Maria and the next day, poor Maria wakes up green. Her whole body has turned green. Maria freaks out and it was all Michael's fault. It was a short and funny fic.

Do you think that Maria had noticed Michael, before knowing he was an alien ? When they come back from Marathon, in the episode "River dog", Maria tells him that she has ALWAYS saw him as this weird guy, poorly bathed, from the wrong side of the tracks. She had to have observed him before, to say that, don't you think ?
RhondaAnn
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RhondaAnn »

They had to have grown up together going to the same schools. After all, if Max remembers Liz from elementary and we know that Isabel and Max eventually met up with Michael again in elementary, then it only goes to show that they all must have gone to school together. So yeah, I'm sure that Maria had noticed Michael before. Especially since he was always with Max and Max was always at the CrashDown staring at Liz.
Michael and Maria He stayed for her and she left for him.

FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic

Yeah, It's pretty much a given that they must have known each other for a couple of years. Seeing as how they went to the same school ,and I imagine West Roswell Elm. being fairly small. Which is why I love reading Candy prequels. Where Maria has long blonde pigtails that Michael pulls just to aggravate her, and she suprises him by fighting back. He was probably the stand offish kid that nobody picked on ,but never included in the games either.

I can see a sweet little Liz wanting to include the trio in their games ,but Maria is kind of apprehensive. Alex of course would be nervous but anxious to talk to the ice princess. Imagine a game of tug of war with the aliens on one side and the humans on the others. (Iz is complaining about getting her dress dirty while Ria snickers)

Too Cute :wink:
Love is not finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly. Looking for a little magic? Practical Enchantment
xmag
Addicted Roswellian

Post by xmag »

Roswell is a small town, not a big one, so yeah, it's probable that they went to school together and that they had interacted. My favorite fic from that time is "terrors of the playground", where Amy learns about how little Michael and little Maria act and play together. She was scared for their lives :lol: .

Why do you think that in "Monsters", Maria was dreaming of Michael in a tuxedo ? Don't you think that him turning into a monster AFTER Isabel had noticed the difference of treatment between Max-Isabel on one side, and Michael on the other, was Maria's way of defending herserlf from being discovered ? But it was too late, Isabel's "hmmm, interesting" was quite clear.

I mean, when someone is scared of people, the trick is to imagine them naked, not in a tuxedo !
FaithfulAngel24
Roswell Fanatic

Yeah, she just wanted to see him all cleaned up! :wink:

I think she even had a crush on him then she just didn't want to admit it. Which is why he turned all scary the moment that Isabel noticed.

What I think is funny is how Maria was always pegged at being really wacky and ditzy, but she was actually rather smart and extremely perceptive. She believed Liz that they were aliens without ever seeing them use their powers, and that they were good on her word alone. Thats an awesome friend. Yeah she did flip out intially, but so did Liz.

Then she suggested that Topolsky was a spy and Liz said she was talking crazy and brushed her off to begin with. Then Liz thinks somethings up and all of a sudden when all is revealed Liz is the brilliant one. Huh?

I always wonder what Michael was thinking when he peered into the Crashdown window in 'The Morning After' He saw Maria and Liz and made an odd expression before leaving. :wink: