What attracted you to their relationship?

Love Max & Liz? Then the Dreamer place is where you want to be.

Moderators: jbangelo, Forum Moderators

Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

begonia9508 wrote:I loved the intensity of love they had!..... and it helped that the actors were so good at it...... they really had chemistry and you have to have it to play so good!
But then season 2 came and we came back to normal life and normal love too.....

EVE :wink: :P
Jason Katims himself and R.Moore really loved Jason and Shiri's chemistry too ;)
also both of them said that famous phrase "They [Max and Liz] are the heart and soul of roswell"

For example, one of my fav quotes about them by R.Moore:
"The Max-Liz connection works so well, as is so popular with "Roswell"'s fans, because, in Moore's opinion, "It's very romantic in the classic sense of the word. Max is a young man from another planet, with secrets. He saved her life in the first episode, and they became soulmates across time and space. It's a classic set-up. Beyond that, the appeal of their relationship has a great deal to do with the chemistry between Shiri Appleby and Jason Behr." (from"Starlog" December 2001)
Another one always from R.Moore

Who is your favorite Roswell character and why?

I'm still in love with all of them. But I will say that I find the Liz/Max relationship to be the heart and soul of the series. I think that both Shiri Appleby and Jason Behr are tremendous talents and I never get tired of watching them on camera. (Crashdown.com)
Katims too said something like that in the graduation's commentary

I admit that they're my fav roswell's writers XD lol Thania too :D
Katims was such a "Dreamer" XD (<--- this phrase is total absurdity XD, it's like saying that Shakespeare was a fan of Romeo&Juliet.. what a discovery!!!! X°D)
i love his comments about them in the original roswell DVDs *___*
"You're what would bring me back.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
that wouldn't stop me. All my molecules would be like little homing pigeons.
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Dreamer Idolatry - M&L community || My arts
dreamer19

Post by dreamer19 »

It was the heart and soul of the show, but they hardly focused on Max and Liz the next 2 seasons. That's what ruined it for me. I love Maria, Michael and Kyle, they are worth watching in the last 2 seasons, but it was majorly lacking for me. I'm still on protest of season 2, except first 5 episodes. The chemistry between Max and Liz is undeniable. I wish we would been shown more of that like in season 1.
lazza
Enthusiastic Roswellian
Location: In the special place where all is right in the world of Roswell...aka Australia

Post by lazza »

I'm with you there dreamer19, if they were the show, where were they in Season 2??

I think the writers bowed to the pressures of the other cast members and can them more screen time...but what's wrong about a show with two main cast members? I know it's all political and such, but I think if the show staged more dreamer focused, it would have kept a bigger audience.

I'm such a dreamer!! :wink:
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

IMO in season 2 WB forced the writers to focus more into sci-fi than love and relationships
But M&L and their relantioship was still a huge part of the show. they kept me interested in the show cuz i wanted *to know* when Max would have discovered the truth about teow
they weren't together but their plot from "the end of the world" was a key in season 2... but it's very subtle
It was like if that season started with teow and ended in departure when finally M&L could be together and *they won* against what tried to tear them apart in season 2.. in that year.
their battle against "destiny", the final message that was "we create your own destiny" and then how Max's destiny no matter if Fmax tried to change the future was still to be with Liz and Tess in the end left roswell however.

also what i love about them in season 2 is their friendship
they're friends to lovers and then lovers and friends.
true soulmates.
even when Max was angry and hurt with her about Kyle he still tried to protect her and she's the one he trusted more, the one he went to in Xmas Carol.

season 2 is important for them
it made them a more real and complete complete couple.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Crusty Nut
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Crusty Nut »

It's kind of funny asking why we were drawn to Max and Liz's relationship. I mean, the reason we tuned in every week, the reason to this day we are still on this silly forum is because we see in them what was see in ourselves and want in another. We all feel young, naive, scared, reckless etc when we put our hearts in the hands of someone else; we wish we could be so lucky that the other person will be a Max or a Liz (season one that is). Love is so abstract that it is hardly been able to be proven, but we saw Max and Liz prove their love to each other in almost every episode of Roswell without even asking. Watching the show was simply watching proof that that kind of love exists, because if other people believe in the idea enough to write a show about it, so many more people must believe in it too and that means we've got a shot.

Just a theory.
"These words consume her but they never set her free."

Read my new fic, Through the Darkness to the Light
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

Crusty Nut wrote: Love is so abstract that it is hardly been able to be proven, but we saw Max and Liz prove their love to each other in almost every episode of Roswell without even asking. Watching the show was simply watching proof that that kind of love exists, because if other people believe in the idea enough to write a show about it, so many more people must believe in it too and that means we've got a shot.

Just a theory.
i totally agree :wink:
Natalie36
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Natalie36 »

Give that person an AMEN. We crave that. We want it so bad we can taste it and that is why we visit this forum so that it can continue through fics, video, etc. I am 37 and addicted to roswell well, let me rephrase that addicted to max and liz. I'm happily married and have teen but this is my get away from really life. It is romance written across the stars. modern days romeo and juilet but so much more. Thank to all whose sweat and typing keeps them alive. :D :wink:
Tears_of_Mercury
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Tears_of_Mercury »

I was actually asking myself this question just last night after I made a Clois vid for Smallville. I was sitting there thinking, "Clark and Lana are supposedly the M/L of Smallville, so why do I love the couple that's 'destiny' and consider them to have so much more chemistry?" Of course, the obvious answer is that Roswel > Smallville and M/L > than any other ship, but it was so much more than that.

Max and Liz were never perfect for each other. Max says it in the first episode and Liz finishes the sentiment: "We're just..." "... different." It's impossible for two human beings to complete each other entirely, but as close as it is possible those two did it. They had an overpowering chemistry and a huge foundation for their relationship (from going to school from third grade to being lab partners and casual friends by high school) and they kept on learning more about each other. The thing that is so all-encompassing about Max and Liz is that they still had the normal high school drama (Kyle and Tess, anyone?) and they still had the "real life" realities to face that tried to rip them apart, but they rose above it somehow.

We have these two teenagers who are willing to jump off bridges and break laws for each other, but they're still flawed and the show never makes them out to be anything else. Max is selfish sometimes, Liz does the wrong thing or the stupid thing because she doesn't know to do anything else. But they have this amazing ability to forgive each other, which IMO is the ultimate form of selflessness.

Even seasons 2.5-3 couldn't erase that.
IheartMax
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by IheartMax »

Natalie36- That is exactly how I feel. My husband thinks I'm crazy but whenever I pop in one of my Roswell DVD's or read some Dreamer fiction I'm in my happy place. I just love the intensity of their love and their passion. I can't get enough.
dreamer19

Post by dreamer19 »

Max and Liz really are Romeo and Juliet. Sometimes it's so hard to go back and watch the first season knowing all the stuff that will happen in the later seasons. It was so powerful their love. It's been 8 years since I first watched Roswell. Sometimes I think I got too caught up in it, but it gives me hope for the future. I think that is way so many of us like to get lost in our dreamer worlds.