Were Max and Liz really good for each other?

Love Max & Liz? Then the Dreamer place is where you want to be.

Moderators: jbangelo, Forum Moderators

Were MAx and Liz good for each other?

yes, definantly
68%
absolutely not
5%
a little bit of both
27%

Total votes: 104

bluebballjumper
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Were Max and Liz really good for each other?

Post by bluebballjumper »

During many discussions with my sister, thoughts were brought up about the nature of Max and Liz's relationship. The ironic part of the whole show is that though we all rooted for them to be together in the end, they were really bad for each other if you think about it.

Examples:

1) Liz was all set on going to Harvard and graduating first in her class, because of her relationship with Max, she didn't even get a chance to go to college.

2) Because of the whole relationship, Max became a cheater and a teenage father.

3) Both Max and Liz ended up in jail after holding up a store.

These were just a few that I thought of. What are all of your people's thoughts and examples behind your belief?
Maria: If you buy a girl shampoo at least don't get her the generic kind.
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Re: Were Max and Liz really good for each other?

Post by Zanity »

Yes Max and Liz were good for each other...
bluebballjumper wrote:1) Liz was all set on going to Harvard and graduating first in her class, because of her relationship with Max, she didn't even get a chance to go to college.
Liz couldn't go to college because the FBI was trying to kill her... The FBI was trying to kill her because she demonstrated having powers.... She had powers becaus Max healed her.

Hence the choice here is dead, or alive and on the run (not going to college) So Max made things better for Liz
bluebballjumper wrote:2) Because of the whole relationship, Max became a cheater and a teenage father.
1- Max did not become a cheater, because you can't cheat on someone who a) Broke up with you b) Made you believe they'd moved on and slept with someone else c) Keeps insisting you can't be anything more than friends d) Literally tells you to be with the third person involved

2- Tess was responsible for Max becoming a teenage father -- not Liz
bluebballjumper wrote:3) Both Max and Liz ended up in jail after holding up a store.
Ok this is a valid point, but this happened because they were trying to deal with the consequences of Tess having Max's son

Bottom line... Max and Liz were good for each other.... Tess was bad for both of them.
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

what a question in a dreamer board :roll:
anyway: yes, they're GREAT for each other!

lol :lol: sorry I friendly disagree with all your points cuz they're only a superficial vision of them IMHO^^" no offense. I can't see points here.

they're soulmates and true love and we have 3 seasons to say that. They're made for each others and they deserved their happy ending cuz they fought for their love from the pilot till the end.
They had ALL against them but in the end they won. I can't say the same for other tv-shows couples :roll:
They're not perfect cuz no one can be but sure a true couple and a true love.

Zanity wrote:Yes Max and Liz were good for each other...
bluebballjumper wrote:1) Liz was all set on going to Harvard and graduating first in her class, because of her relationship with Max, she didn't even get a chance to go to college.
Liz couldn't go to college because the FBI was trying to kill her... The FBI was trying to kill her because she demonstrated having powers.... She had powers becaus Max healed her.

Hence the choice here is dead, or alive and on the run (not going to college) So Max made things better for Liz
bluebballjumper wrote:2) Because of the whole relationship, Max became a cheater and a teenage father.
1- Max did not become a cheater, because you can't cheat on someone who a) Broke up with you b) Made you believe they'd moved on and slept with someone else c) Keeps insisting you can't be anything more than friends d) Literally tells you to be with the third person involved

2- Tess was responsible for Max becoming a teenage father -- not Liz
bluebballjumper wrote:3) Both Max and Liz ended up in jail after holding up a store.
Ok this is a valid point, but this happened because they were trying to deal with the consequences of Tess having Max's son

Bottom line... Max and Liz were good for each other.... Tess was bad for both of them.

word your reply ;)
"You're what would bring me back.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
that wouldn't stop me. All my molecules would be like little homing pigeons.
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Dreamer Idolatry - M&L community || My arts
nunki
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by nunki »

bluebballjumper wrote:
1) Liz was all set on going to Harvard and graduating first in her class, because of her relationship with Max, she didn't even get a chance to go to college.

2) Because of the whole relationship, Max became a cheater and a teenage father.

I have to agree with Zanity.If not for Max she wouldn´t even be alive anymore.Besides we don´t know if she will get her chance to go to college one day.

And we also don´t know what would have happened if Max and Liz had not been together.Maybe he would´ve ended up with Tess anyways.And you can argue if the baby was a bad thing for him.I think he loved his son and would have been glad if he was able to keep him.

And about the armed robbery thing...I always thought that the writers screwed up everything at the beginning of S3.That was so out of character and I refuse watching those episodes again.These weren´t the Max and Liz we knew and loved.The both tended to plan things out and this wasn´t planned out at all.There would have been tons of other possibilities to get into that store.And they also tended to take the responsibility for everything and to think of others first.And this doesn´t match with threatening a person with a weapon.Besides what would he have done?Max couldn´t even fly the ship and even if he reached Antar...he probably would have ended dead or in jail.And this doesn´t help his son.

So all in all I think they were good for each other.
bluebballjumper
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by bluebballjumper »

Ok, I just want to clarify that I am in no way bashing Max and Liz. I am definantly a dreamer, and would never watch the show if they never ended getting up together, but many drastic porportions were met in their relationship which based only on fact with no emotion, convey my main point

And yes I do understand that their life would be lived much more happily with each other than without. If the shooting had never occured, Liz probably would have graduated valedictorian, gone to an elite school, and become a very renown scientist with a great husband and kids. On the other hand, Max's fate probably would probably be worse. Max would have probably still gotten Tess pregnant and gone off to Antar, only to be murdered by Kivar.

Plus, even though Liz was probably much happier after running away with Max, she probably would have always still wondered what her life would be like without him. All of her dreams of having a successful career were destroyed, so no matter how much she loved and never regretted having Max, she would still feel a loss because of her dreams.
Maria: If you buy a girl shampoo at least don't get her the generic kind.
nunki
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by nunki »

bluebballjumper - I know that you weren´t bashing Max and Liz.I´m sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you.I really didn´t mean to.English isn´t my native language, so it might have happened that something was expressed the wrong way.

That´s a good point about Liz feeling a loss because she gave up her dreams.I thought about that too.But from what she wrote it her diary she seemed to miss something else in her life before the shooting.So you can really argue whta´s better...give up a dream or live a life where you are constantly looking for something that´s missing.
And maybe she finds a way to realize her dreams one day.In my imagination she did.
nunki
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by nunki »

bluebballjumper - I know that you weren´t bashing Max and Liz.I´m sorry if it sounded like I was attacking you.I really didn´t mean to.English isn´t my native language, so it might have happened that something was expressed the wrong way.

That´s a good point about Liz feeling a loss because she gave up her dreams.I thought about that too.But from what she wrote it her diary she seemed to miss something else in her life before the shooting.So you can really argue what´s better...give up a dream or live a life where you are constantly looking out for something to fill the emptiness in your heart.
And maybe she finds a way to realize her dreams one day.In my imagination she did.
Last edited by nunki on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Er, the conversation seems to be keeping well-enough on track for the time being, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because I haven't quite decided if it really belongs in THIS forum.

Carry on.
ADreamerDestiny
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by ADreamerDestiny »

bluebballjumper wrote:During many discussions with my sister, thoughts were brought up about the nature of Max and Liz's relationship. The ironic part of the whole show is that though we all rooted for them to be together in the end, they were really bad for each other if you think about it.
Hmmm... interesting.

Ultimately, i'm going to cast my vote and say they were "good" for each other. Tess wasn't good for their relationship and she was an obstacle in their way that they managed to overcome in the end (unfortunately... not the resolution i was looking for but a resolution nevertheless)! However, even as a Dreamer, i can still see the pro and con side to their relationship.

Examples:
I understand what you're trying to say here.

Ultimately, being healed by Max led to her "change." In turn, this "change" and her connection/relationship to Max, Michael, and Isabel made her an open target for the FBI too! And yes, her relationship to Max did serve as a "distraction" from "normal" life ventures (ie... attending college etc.). Therefore, in essence, what you are saying is true. Liz didn't get to attend college because of the relationship. Afterall, had she never been healed by/involved with Max the FBI wouldn't have targeted her, right? However, i think it's important to note that it's a "willing" sacrifice Liz made when she decided to continue pursuing a relationship with Max. She could have "walked away" and never looked back but she didn't; therefore, i'm sure she was aware that she could be required to sacrifice normalcy at any given moment when the circumstances called for it!
Granted, i'll be the first to admit that i absolutely hated the M/T "sex" and baby storyline. In my opinion, this plot line brought out the worst in the Max character and permanently tarnished the M/L relationship. I stand firmly by my resolve that it was not a "mistake" season Max 1 would have fallen prey too! That was not a part of his "character." I think it never should have happened and the show majorly suffered b/c of it! Therefore, i blame the writers.

However, the "relationship" didn't cause Max to become a "cheater" or "teenaged father." Max's bad/irresponsible decisions (no protection) caused him to become a father. He has to take responsibility for that by himself (w/Tess). Also, i didn't like Max's conduct at the end of season 2 but i think "cheater" is the wrong term to apply to the situation. Technically, he wasn't "with" Liz; therefore, he couldn't cheat on her. But i do think the writers supplied Max's character with "player tendencies" at season 2's end. See, Max never displayed a geniune "interest" in his so-called destiny with Tess. Therefore, i had a problem with him turning to Tess only "after" Liz pushed him away. As much as i dislike Tess, he technically used her b/c he couldn't be with Liz. In the very same episode he sleeps with Tess, he tells her earlier on that the idea of them being together scares him. And then, he proceeds to react in a completely awkward fashion after sleeping with her. More "player tendencies" are evident in Departure when he passionately kisses Liz in the jeep to say good-bye and then he's kissing Tess shortly afterwards in her room. That's just wrong b/c he technically committed himself to his destiny at this point. Then, at the end of the episode he's declaring his "love" for Liz. That wasn't the proper time and place for that. My opinion.

See, season 1 Max would not have behaved this way. His character was such that he was honorable and had integrity. Yes, he would have been hurt if Liz left him (like he was in Destiny); however, he would have showed enough respect for Tess as well by taking the position "i'm not going to lead her on and be with her b/c i'm really not interested in a relationship with her." He would have let her down easily (like he did in Destiny) and walked away until he found a relationship that did interest him, got back with Liz, or stayed by himself. Whether we like Tess or not, it was just a part of season 1 Max to be considerate/respectful of everyone when it came to relationships. Yes, he made mistakes and wasn't perfect but i loved him and his maturity!

:lol: So, Season 1 Max/Liz are very good for each other! :wink:

I'm in agreement here.

But then again, i like to pretend season 3 never happened at all and pick up with fanfiction, so yeah, M/L still end up being good for each other! :lol:
~*HEATHER*~

DREAMER (Max & Liz) ~ My #1 Shipperdom
Generally support The other CC couples (M/M; A/I)
RosSlayville
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RosSlayville »

Max and liz had 2 look far across the stars 2 find one another. Max was ment to be a king with tess.But no he changed his Destiny. In that moment when liz was shot and max was healing her. They sparked a Connection that was so powerful.