What would you do?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian

What would you do?

Post by Cocogurl »

This came to me when I was watching an episode of Roswell the other night and I started thinking of all of the things I would change if I had control of the show, so here's what I'd like to know: If Roswell was in your hands what would you do? What parts of the show would you change? What parts of the show would you keep? Or what would you add on to the show? I think I'm going to get some really cool and interesting answers. :D

Here are things that I would change, keep, and add on:

1. I would've had Kyle and Liz together a little long than they were - I'm always going to be a dreamer, but I always thought it would be interesting to see a little more of Kyle and Liz's relationship.

2. I would've made Kivar a MUCH larger part of the show than he was since he was supposed to be the ulitmate bad guy of the series, the person that Max, Michael and Isabel worried about so much.

3. I would've found a way to have Kyle and Tess hook up rather than Max and Tess, though I did love the angst that it created for Max and for Liz and ultimately all of the characters in the show. So I'd have them get together, but I would make a little difficult for them to find their way to each other.

4. I would've explained what happened with Brody and Sean and Milton in season 3. I never bought the thing with Milton selling his UFO Museum aka HIS LIFE'S DREAM! It just felt like lazy writing on the writers part. A quick fix to make room for Brody. And Brody had a great storyline, one that they could've used for at least another season or two. And Sean, poor Sean, the writers used his character and then just discarded him with no explanation as to what happened to him or where he went.

5. And I wouldn't have made season 2 so choppy. They kept bouncing around from one storyline to the other, like they were trying to figure out what they should do with it, which probably had something to do with pressure from the network to make it more sci-fi.

6. In the third season, I think I would've made Laurie Dupree a main or recurring character because I feel like the relationship between her and Michael could've been explored more indepth. It would've been fun to watch Michael as he got closer to essentially the only blood family he's ever known. Either that or I would've found a way to make Michael and Liz siblings. I know it's been done to death in fan fictions, but I can't help it. I've just always really liked that idea. :lol:

7. And I would've split the dupes idea and the skins storyline into two different seasons and then expanded on them, because those storylines I absolutely loved and I always hated that the writers just got rid of them before fully explaining everything. And I would've brought Nicholas back in the third season with a new body or something so he could just shock everybody. I always felt kind of bad that he got stuck in the body of nerdy fourteen year old. Lol. Kivar must of been punishing him or something. :lol:

8. Oh, and another big thing I would changed: I WOULD'VE HAD MORE SEASONS! :D At least eight or nine of them because the writers had a lot of potentially good storylines and things they could've worked on, but didn't.

That's all I've got for now, I might come back with more ideas later. Lol. Okay, now it's your turn. What would you do if Roswell was in your hands? :)
Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: On Moya, keeping an eye on Aeryn because Crichton is MINE!

Re: What would you do?

Post by Earth2Mama »

O.k. Here's what I would have done:

1. Had the core relationships (M/M, A/I, M/L) explored more. I always felt that the definition of their relationship were created too quickly and rushed.

2. I would have the Tess and Kyle relationship explored more - it would have given the core gang a bit more time to develop their relationships deeper (such as trust and loyalty) and it would have given me a chance to see Kyle and Tess interact with one another. I always felt their relationship was short changed :(

3. I would have Tess' agenda (The Nasedo deal as well as her own personal desire to be with Max) be more upfront from the beginning (none of that BS hinting crap and planting of mind suggestions).

4. I would have shown the strain it was starting to put on Max & Liz's relationship (I always felt it should have been more gradual rather than in your face).

5. Destiny - GOD how I have come to HATE that word - would have been introduced after that ... so maybe that would have been around mid-season or maybe later in Season 2.

6. I would have shown how Tess' insistence in "Destiny" put in conflict with herself - her budding relationship with Kyle vs. what she perceived as her rightful place within Pod Squad as Max's wife.

7. Were the dupes really necessary? I say not. That whole story line would have been scratch the hell out. Although it did make for good eye candy :oops:

8. Most importantly ... THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO BABY. Huh-huh, no way, forgot that! I do have to say though that I would have had them sleep together. But was a baby really necessary? It just always sounded so soap opera-ish to me.

Hmm ... everything else I would have kept, although it would have to fit within the context of the eight (8) points above. So, basically - were talking more than three seasons worth.

Damn those writers! :(
Winner - Best Feedbacker Award Round 6
Winner – Funniest Feedbacker & Most Helpful Fanatic Award Round 14
Winner - Most Thought-Provoking Feedbacker Award Round 15

made by April :D

4-ever a lamptrimming, stargazing, candy-hearted dreamer!

Tumblr- elliesinwonderland | YouTube - Earth2Mother
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Cocogurl »

Those are some good ideas, earth2mama. I especially liked number 2 on your list. You are absolutely right, Kyle and Tess' relationship was TOTALLY short changed. One minute there's buckets of sexual tension between them and the next they're like brother and sister. That just bugged the crap out of me. I don't know if I would've changed the whole Tess betraying everybody, but I would've liked to see more of what was going on through her mind when she was double crossing them and see her warring with her feelings for Kyle and her Nasedo's plans for her. That would've been really cool to watch, and probably would've made me a little more sympathetic to her--only a little though. Lol.
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Okay I'm going to try this.

1.Kyle and Tess together...that's an easy one.I think they should have had a whole LOT of sexual tension building between those two while living together.I mean just like the part where Kyle walks out and finds Tess asleep and looking all hot on the sofa....she could have walked in on him in the bathroom wearing nothing but a towel a few times and build up from there.To be honest I think they should have trimmed the lamp from the start and seen what happened from there! Like what if they had got together from the start...with Tess's knowing NEsado's plans but not caring anymore...and just as things were good with K/T,Nesado shows up angry over Tess's actions.He tries to force her to break up with Kyle and go after Destiny.Would Tess be able to tell everyone she's known all about Nesado's evil plans and not told anyone about them? Would she be scared it would turn everyone against her for not having told? That would have been something nice to see.

2.Had Alex really go to Sweden and come back no longer Isabel's whipping boy and make HER have to do the chasing.The look Isabel gave when Alex...well basicly blew her off...at his slideshow was priceless! Maybe have thrown a real Leana into the picture letting us see just how dangerous a jealous Ice Queen could be :wink:

3.Instead of having Sean a some what scumy excon...even though I liked the character.He should have been this nice guy who Liz's parents like,who was always helping her out with stuff outside the whole 'alien' thing.This would kind of be a fun outlet for Liz to get away and have some fun and have a love triangle that way instead of the Tess/Max/Liz one we got.

4.I would have had a Courtney around a whole LOT more and having some bitchy catfighting with Maria and her over Michael....that would have been fun to watch! :wink: :lol:

5.A scene in Wipeout where Isabel tells Alex that he was the one she was calling from the phone at home to see if he was ok.
Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Earth2Mama »

KJ - Love ideas #1 & #2.

So agree with you on Isabel's treatment of Alex. I think that's when I started to hate her character. It's been the same ever since. Especially more so when she married Jesse and didn't tell him the truth about herself. :roll: Seriously, how the hell did she think that was ever going to be o.k.?
Last edited by Earth2Mama on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter
Forum Moderator

Post by Hunter »

Oh this is such an interesting question Cassie, I agree with you with what you've said.

I would change the whole second season by re writing it, I've been writing a fic and only posted the prologue on this board that deals with 2nd season.

First off, Max would not even sleep with Tess. I see no point in that. I really don't see any love between him and Tess. I've always rooted for Liz and Max sleeping together possibly in the second season. As for Isabel and Alex, I really really wanted her to get with him. I felt so sad and angry when he got killed off and then Max goes and sleeps with Tess. It was like watching a completely different show. No wonder it got cancelled.

I would also go into more depth about the unanswered questions like Milton leaving, what happened to Nasedo (What really happened), I'd also make Vanessa Whittaker stay on the show longer. I think she was quite an interesting character. We didn't really get to know her.

I'd also have Tess falling for Kyle. They were adorable together. How could she just change within a fortnight and have sex with Max after all those moments with Kyle? I just never understood that. So there would be no baby and no sex between Max and Tess. But probably with Liz and Max. I'd also spice things up a little with Max and Liz to make them more appealing and interesting.

Can I also mention the crazy fact that different people wrote different episodes? So that explains why sweet Max turned into a nasty piece of work while Liz became a doormat. Whoever wrote It's too late and it's too bad was clearly not following the conventional way of coupling.

And then I would never have killed Alex off nor introduce Jesse. To me, from EOTW seemed too rushed till the final episode of Roswell.

I would have also added other non antarian people in the show. The truth is that they were too focused with themselves which left no room for other things. Take Smallville for example, you have different things going on like that bee girl and that wax boy. We didn't really get to see how those aliens would cope with other type of mutants in the show. Perhaps that's another reason why Roswell ended. It could have been 8 or 9 seasons if they added more extra things other then antarian things.

Oh and High school ended really fast. Which was a shame.

I'd also like to see a stronger Liz. I wouldn't have minded if she was sort of a bitch. It would have been better seeing her as a bitch then a doormat.

And I really hate clueless Max. It makes him look like a silly person. So not sexy at all. He had no clue what was going on. I would make him a better leader that has faith in the people around him instead of being a bossy person.
Hunter
Forum Moderator

Post by Hunter »

killjoy wrote:Okay I'm going to try this.

1.Kyle and Tess together...that's an easy one.I think they should have had a whole LOT of sexual tension building between those two while living together.I mean just like the part where Kyle walks out and finds Tess asleep and looking all hot on the sofa....she could have walked in on him in the bathroom wearing nothing but a towel a few times and build up from there.To be honest I think they should have trimmed the lamp from the start and seen what happened from there! Like what if they had got together from the start...with Tess's knowing NEsado's plans but not caring anymore...and just as things were good with K/T,Nesado shows up angry over Tess's actions.He tries to force her to break up with Kyle and go after Destiny.Would Tess be able to tell everyone she's known all about Nesado's evil plans and not told anyone about them? Would she be scared it would turn everyone against her for not having told? That would have been something nice to see.

3.Instead of having Sean a some what scumy excon...even though I liked the character.He should have been this nice guy who Liz's parents like,who was always helping her out with stuff outside the whole 'alien' thing.This would kind of be a fun outlet for Liz to get away and have some fun and have a love triangle that way instead of the Tess/Max/Liz one we got.
Agree with you there 100% KJ.
Earth2Mama
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by Earth2Mama »

Hunter wrote:Can I also mention the crazy fact that different people wrote different episodes? So that explains why sweet Max turned into a nasty piece of work while Liz became a doormat. Whoever wrote It's too late and it's too bad was clearly not following the conventional way of coupling.
*bows down*

I hated that fact, I knew about the different people writing the different episodes which is why everything got so messed up. I guarantee if you go back and watch it again as a whole, the EOTW episode will start to make less and less sense. Basically, I could have delt with the Destiny crap that was spewed, but EOTW was the nail on the coffin of the show. It went downhill from there.

If Nasesdo made that deal (to betray Max, Isabel and Michael or even for Tess to impregnate herself and take them back to Antar to be executed) all those years ago, why the hell did Liz have to pretend to sleep with Kyle in order for him to be with Tess? Tess then was always going to be the betrayer, so why the need to keep her around because of their enemies coming in 14 years?

DIDN'T MAKE A LICK OF SENSE!

And that is why I refuse to watch any of the episodes, trying to think about what could/should have been, instead of what was. Turns my stomach each time.

killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Okay I've always had this thought on the whole Max/Tess thing

If they were going to do anything with them I would have done this.Had Kyle/Tess hit it off while living with each other and start a relationship.Plus have had the normal Max/Liz thing going on.Now the idea would have been have Max/Tess with each other like on the show when they were trying to unlock memories of Antar.They are doing this only as friends...but during this memory thing it unlocks the alien part of their brain more which lets the Zan/Ava memories effect them.Maybe they sleep with each other,wake up the next day knowing what a HUGE mistake they made and trying to figure out should they tell Kyle and Liz what had happened.Would they understand it was the 'alien' part of them and not the human part that did what they did? Or would Liz and Kyle hate them and not have anything to do with them anymore?
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic

Post by killjoy »

Okay how about this idea

THey broke up Max and Liz due to the Future Max thing without using the Kyle in the bed angle.The idea is that when Max and Tess are off finding out Destiny is wrong Liz and Kyle start to drift back to one another.Don't use Sean in it....but have Liz and Kyle slowly start to drift toward each other due to the fact Tess and Max are now out of their lives and their alone.

So this way when Max and Tess find out Nesado was wrong and Destiny was a bust they expect to find Liz and Kyle waiting for them to come back.Only to be shocked and jealous at how close Liz and Kyle have become.