Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

User avatar
ISLANDGIRL5
Forum Moderator
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:55 am
Location: Good ol' North Cakalaki...lol...

Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby ISLANDGIRL5 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:57 am

Old thread can be found Here.


Use this thread for further discussion on previous topic. ;)
I once heard that dust is made up of human skin cells. If that's true, I think there's a naked man under my bed!

User avatar
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:24 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby killjoy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 am

Ok I'll start this one off with a bang.

Max/Liz bored the ever loving hell out of me......on the show..in fanfiction..every where! For the life of me I can't see why everyone loves the couple so much.

I know a lot of you love them....A LOT...of you do and more power too you if you do.But for me they are the most boring couple the show every came up with.I thought Jim/Amy was more fun to watch.

Now like I said if you love them more power too you.But also like I said....I just don't get the HUGE fan base the couple has...they bored me.

Ok now I'll wait here and let all of you get your rocks to stone me with :P :lol:

User avatar
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Washington

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby Cocogurl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:15 am

I never got why some people loved Tess so much. I never in my life got. More than that, I never got why some people went so far as to make execuses for her actions. I don't care how hard her childhood was, there's no execuse for taking an innocent person's life. EVER. Or betraying the people you have the nerve to call your family. No offense to the Tess lovers out there, but her death came as such a relief for me. They finally put that drama to rest.

Also, I know that this has been said before, but it still needs to be said, the way the writers pretty much forgot about EVERYTHING that happened in season 2. Seriously, the only story they gave closure too was Max and Tess, apart from that, nothing. No one ever found what happened to Sean or Brody, Max and Liz NEVER talked about FMax. They didn't even have Kivar play a more important role in season 3, which I think that they should have. I think that might have been able to help the show a little.

And I didn't like, how fast Isabel and Jessie's relationship was. One minute, it's just a fling, next minute, their engaged and then married. It all happened too fast and I think that's part of the reason some people had a harder time liking the whole Isabel/Jessie relationship. It kind of felt like a betrayel to everything Alex and Isabel had.

User avatar
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:41 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby Coccy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:07 am

killjoy don't worry you don't have to get it :lol: LOL
it's not that you have to pay us because we love them or you can't live your life if so many people love M&L :lol: *hugs*
if so many people loved them and still love them it means that they offer something that people can love. people are not crazy. and like them or not i don't think that people like something that exists only into their minds. lol.
but it doesn't mean that you have to like them too.

Cocogurl wrote:I never got why some people loved Tess so much. I never in my life got. More than that, I never got why some people went so far as to make execuses for her actions. I don't care how hard her childhood was, there's no execuse for taking an innocent person's life. EVER. Or betraying the people you have the nerve to call your family. No offense to the Tess lovers out there, but her death came as such a relief for me. They finally put that drama to rest.


agree
Personally i believe that Tess was a very bad character and the most boring one both as the enemy and as the fake good one obsessed about destiny (you're my destiny by Paul Anka was her fav song.) . the way she kissed Max's ass and stalked him with no end was pathetic because the triangle wasn't even a real triangle (and real triangles are already boring ) so the result was pretty bad for her character. She was too forced.
but that's not so unpopular so... lets skip it for now.
maybe my real unpopular opinion here is that i don't believe that "evil Tess" didn't make sense and came from nonewhere (and they didn't create the storyline only when they wrote departure. this belief is naive because if you analyze all the procedure and how episodes are written, played and aired then it wasn't technically possible. what Ronald Moore said about the storyline makes perfect sense. Last minute for a show means at least 5-7 episodes before the specific event. a tv.show isn't live like "the big brother".) the clues were always there and she was the perfect character for that kind of hidden enemy. They never developed her, everything about her was a mystery and they did it on purpose in order to be free to do what they wanted with her.
Also her real colors were pretty believable to me. good Tess was less believable than the bad one. She lived for 10 years with a killer and she was totally obsessed about destiny, their planet and her alien side. 10 years can't be changed in some months by strangers no matter how nice they're.
sorry for her fans but what is canon is canon.

i liked many characters that in the end were destroyed by the writers or they changed.. but i got over it.
it's just fiction.


Also, I know that this has been said before, but it still needs to be said, the way the writers pretty much forgot about EVERYTHING that happened in season 2.

IMO they didn't like that season so much :lol:
it's not a mystery that Katims&Co didn't like certain storylines that were forced by the WB



And I didn't like, how fast Isabel and Jessie's relationship was. One minute, it's just a fling, next minute, their engaged and then married. It all happened too fast and I think that's part of the reason some people had a harder time liking the whole Isabel/Jessie relationship. It kind of felt like a betrayel to everything Alex and Isabel had.


- i don't know if it's really unpopular but i'm not a big fan of Isabel. at all.
especially after years of watching the show.

i don't hate her but i find her annoying most of the time and i don't agree with people when they bash Max (or even Michael) for her because she was one of the most hypocritical characters of the show IMO. so whiny! and it does make sense because she was supposed to be a princess.
When it was about Michael and what he wanted to do then Max was the leader and they were a group so he had to follow his orders. But then when it was about her and what she wanted to do she started to be angry and unreasonable and most of the times she did (or wanted to do) certain things only because people told her that they weren't good ideas (and they were right.) even Jesse is a good example of it. She married him for her selfish reasons and she didn't even care about his feelings and how he didn't know the truth. Max and Michael asked her more time but NO for her it was now (like i want it) or never.
When it was about Max and his feelings for Liz he had to forget about them and he couldn't be with her. But then she was the one who always dated guys, used her powers for stupid things and pretended to be normal.
All the characters wanted to do what they wanted to do :lol: but i feel that Isabel was one of the most unreasonable people (well Tess was worse, obviously).
Even with Alex... one moment she told him that she couldn't be into a relationship and then she started to date Grant and then she almost slept with a stranger in "W Las Vegas" when Alex was right here. I love Alex and Isabel. don't get me wrong. I really love them.
but what i love is more the potential and how much ALEX loved her. when it's about Isabel i never liked the way she started to love him only when he died. It didn't feel real to me, i felt cheated as a A&I fan (my second fav shipper) because when they had the time to be together she totally wasted it. Alex was always there for her.....
then in the third season i couldn't believe that she could fall in love and marry Jess into such a small time!come one.

IMO Katherine ruined Isabel. but oh well... :roll:

I have to say that in the books she's even worse. :lol: I totally got lost with all her love interests and how she played with them. not to mention the whining.
so i like her way more in the show.


- another unpopular opinion: i never cared about Kivar :lol: he was a water gun. (well.. the guy he used in the third season was hot ) or the dupes, or "the past life" story. honestly.
i find the history of their origins from the books way more interesting and believable
also i always thought that Kivar&Vilandra were the real couple of the past life and i wanted to know more about them (if i really had to watch something about past life). this doesn't mean that i wanted Isabel with Kivar because to me Isabel and Vilandra just like Max- Zan and Michael-Rath were two different people.
Image
"You're what would bring me back.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
that wouldn't stop me. All my molecules would be like little homing pigeons.
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Dreamer Idolatry - M&L community || My arts

User avatar
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:24 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby killjoy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:37 pm

Cocogurl wrote:I never got why some people loved Tess so much. I never in my life got. More than that, I never got why some people went so far as to make execuses for her actions. I don't care how hard her childhood was, there's no execuse for taking an innocent person's life. EVER. Or betraying the people you have the nerve to call your family. No offense to the Tess lovers out there, but her death came as such a relief for me. They finally put that drama to rest.

Also, I know that this has been said before, but it still needs to be said, the way the writers pretty much forgot about EVERYTHING that happened in season 2. Seriously, the only story they gave closure too was Max and Tess, apart from that, nothing. No one ever found what happened to Sean or Brody, Max and Liz NEVER talked about FMax. They didn't even have Kivar play a more important role in season 3, which I think that they should have. I think that might have been able to help the show a little.

And I didn't like, how fast Isabel and Jessie's relationship was. One minute, it's just a fling, next minute, their engaged and then married. It all happened too fast and I think that's part of the reason some people had a harder time liking the whole Isabel/Jessie relationship. It kind of felt like a betrayel to everything Alex and Isabel had.


Is that first line shot at me :P :lol:

Ohhhh I agree....nothing Tess did on the show was right or should be ok.....I mean yes she gave her life to save her baby that might give her a point or two but she still killed Alex so that still has her in the bad column.

That's why I have NO problem what so ever when someone does a CC story and Tess is evil...because she was evil on the show.

But those of us who love Tess...and you'd be SHOCKED at how many of us there are...not as many as dreamers but there are a LOT of us.....mostly love her in fanfiction because there we can get her as she should have been.Not the evil thing the show writers did up.

See....we Tess fans don't have to let what happened on the show influence us.We can say "Ok it happened on the show like this but this story has Tess doing this instead" And that why we can like her.

But I do have to say she COULD have been a great character on the show if the writers had had any brains.I mean here you bring in the most alien biased hybrid of them all and throw her in with the most anti alien human of them all Kyle.You could have had one of the best love/hate relationships to ever be seen on the show.But instead they brought us all that Destiny crap and made Tess evil

I also have to say....I don't hate Jssse.I would have rather seen Isabel/Kyle but I don't have any hard feelings for Jesse.What I do have hard feelings for is how fast they got married.Hellow you spend the what last three spisodes crying about the love of your life dying only to meet someone and get married in less than a year :roll:

User avatar
Janetfl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:14 am
Location: Bucks, UK.

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby Janetfl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I never got why some people loved Tess so much. I never in my life got. More than that, I never got why some people went so far as to make execuses for her actions. I don't care how hard her childhood was, there's no execuse for taking an innocent person's life. EVER. Or betraying the people you have the nerve to call your family. No offense to the Tess lovers out there, but her death came as such a relief for me. They finally put that drama to rest.

Also, I know that this has been said before, but it still needs to be said, the way the writers pretty much forgot about EVERYTHING that happened in season 2. Seriously, the only story they gave closure too was Max and Tess, apart from that, nothing. No one ever found what happened to Sean or Brody, Max and Liz NEVER talked about FMax. They didn't even have Kivar play a more important role in season 3, which I think that they should have. I think that might have been able to help the show a little.

And I didn't like, how fast Isabel and Jessie's relationship was. One minute, it's just a fling, next minute, their engaged and then married. It all happened too fast and I think that's part of the reason some people had a harder time liking the whole Isabel/Jessie relationship. It kind of felt like a betrayel to everything Alex and Isabel had.


Okay first of all I am a dreamer through and through - I love Max & Liz so that's not the unpopular opinion.

Now Tess on the show was portrayed as evil and I agree with cocogurl about there being no excuse to take an innocent life BUT I do think it is right that people who write cannon should explore what made her that way. It's almost as if she suffered some form of stockholm syndrome ... after 10 years of someone she almost considered her father telling her that she was destined to be Queen and be with Max it's no wonder she was the way she was.

If she was brought up not understanding social cultures then how could she possibly fit in anywhere and how was she supposed to know what was right and wrong when it had been drummed into her from an early age. Now I am not defending Tess here because in the show I hated her character but I think it is interesting to delve into her psyche.

I have to agree with killjoy though about how we use her in the fanfic world ... we do tend to keep her as the slut or bitch that she was on the show. I actually like writing fics where Tess is good or the best friend of Liz. Yes a dreamer that actually likes Tess in certain fics. :shock: I like it when she is written as being the bubbly, loyal and beautiful friend ... but then I also like to slag her off when she's the evil bitch in the story. For me it really does depend on how the author writes her.

To be honest I think some people take all of this way too seriously after all we are only using the characters of the show ... we can make them whoever we want them to be whether it's slutty/good Tess, slutty/perfect Liz, Nice/Horrible Max ... the whole point of fanfic is so that you can use whatever part of each chracter you liked or disliked and bring it alive on the page for everyone to read.

Every one is intitled to their own opinion which is why I believe that RF created so many different forums for people to write under. If you don't like a certain portrayal of a character then don't read the story .. it's that easy.

I have to agree with cocogurl again on the fact that they never resolved ANYTHING from season 2 and it left so many unanswered questions but hey we can have our go at answering them in the fanfic world!!!

I didn't mind the relationship between Jesse and Isabel because I felt that she deserved to be happy after everything she had been through .... but I have to agree that it was very rushed ... she was secretly dating him, engaged and then married pretty darn quickly!! I also thought that Isabel and Kyle would have made a cute couple!!
Image

Thank you to the wonderful, artistic RoswellOracle for this awesome siggie!



User avatar
Rowedog
Forum Moderator
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:54 pm
Location: In your mind.
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby Rowedog » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Every one is entitled to their own opinion which is why I believe that RF created so many different forums for people to write under. If you don't like a certain portrayal of a character then don't read the story .. it's that easy.

I totally agree, Jan. This thread can be a little bit of a trouble maker, stirring up angry feelings by people who passionately love what could be seen as opposing view points. And as we all know, we can't change other people's view points, no matter how persuasive we think we are. So let's all be friends and talk about something we can all get into: Puppies and ice cream.

But not puppy ice cream, that's just a little bit gross.
Alison’s Fics

Image
Round 13 Funniest Feedbacker
Round 14 Feedbacker You Follow Around The Board (Stalkers!!)
Round 14 Most Thought Provoking Feedbacker

User avatar
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian
Posts: 754
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby nibbles2 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Now Tess on the show was portrayed as evil


I disagree with that. On the show she was portrayed as a normal, fun, sweet girl who used maniplation to get close to her real family. Once nasedo was gone from the picture, all that was gone and she was a lovely character. Then all of a sudden in the last ten minutes of the last episode of season two she was shown to be evil. And even when they brought her back in s3, they did their best to redeem her. The writers didn't use any foreshadowing or try to indicate that she was evil before the dropped the big bomb shell.

Edited to add: Puppy icecream? Thanks for that iamge Alison. :lol:
Last edited by nibbles2 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
killjoy
Roswell Fanatic
Posts: 1627
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:24 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby killjoy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:41 pm

nibbles2 wrote:
Now Tess on the show was portrayed as evil


I disagree with that. On the show she was portrayed as a normal, fun, sweet girl who used maniplation to get close to her real family. Once nasedo was gone from the picture, all that was gone and she was a lovely character. Then all of a sudden in the last ten minutes of the last episode of season two she was shown to be evil. And even when they brought her back in s3, they did their best to redeem her. The writers didn't use any foreshadowing or try to indicate that she was evil before the dropped the big bomb shell.


Well ok maybe not evil....but she did do wrong that resulted in some one's death.

User avatar
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:05 am
Location: Washington

Re: Unpopular Opinions...Round 2

Postby Cocogurl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:45 am

killjoy wrote:
Cocogurl wrote:I never got why some people loved Tess so much. I never in my life got. More than that, I never got why some people went so far as to make execuses for her actions. I don't care how hard her childhood was, there's no execuse for taking an innocent person's life. EVER. Or betraying the people you have the nerve to call your family. No offense to the Tess lovers out there, but her death came as such a relief for me. They finally put that drama to rest.

Also, I know that this has been said before, but it still needs to be said, the way the writers pretty much forgot about EVERYTHING that happened in season 2. Seriously, the only story they gave closure too was Max and Tess, apart from that, nothing. No one ever found what happened to Sean or Brody, Max and Liz NEVER talked about FMax. They didn't even have Kivar play a more important role in season 3, which I think that they should have. I think that might have been able to help the show a little.

And I didn't like, how fast Isabel and Jessie's relationship was. One minute, it's just a fling, next minute, their engaged and then married. It all happened too fast and I think that's part of the reason some people had a harder time liking the whole Isabel/Jessie relationship. It kind of felt like a betrayel to everything Alex and Isabel had.


Is that first line shot at me :P :lol:


Not at all, hon. I was just making a point. You're someone I really enjoy talking and debating with. :wink:


Return to “Roswell General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests