Roswell got compaired to the pop culture phenomenon Twilight

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Erina
Forum Moderator

Re: Roswell got compaired to the pop culture phenomenon Twilight

Post by Erina »

Most probably this was already mentioned somewhere, but - both in Twilight and in Roswell the main couple is partners in Biology. :)
RoswellianBamaFan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by RoswellianBamaFan »

I love both stories. Has anyone (those of you that have read the Twilight series) noticed that Stephenie Meyer really didn't stay "steady" with the voices of each character throughout the series. The way Jacob thinks (In "Book 2" of Breaking Dawn) and the way he speaks is totally different? He's one Jacob in the first three books, then in the last book, he's the pathetic little follower of .... (I don't want to spoil if anyone's going to read it)....I dunno. :) Or Bella was this little pathetic character in Breaking Dawn. I really can't voice this well enough... hopefully, you get this jist. You see it a little bit in the movie. Kristen Stewert really does look high, and I can't get over the Edward Pattinson as Edward. I think he did a good job, but I still see him as Cedric.

I REALLY didn't mean to make this a Twilight post...my main point (that hopefully I'll get to in the sentence) is that the Roswell characters were so much more true to their original characters versus Twilight. I am a total Twilight/Harry Potter/Roswell fanatic. Don't get me wrong...but that's one thing that *really* irks me about the Twilight series. And yes, an argument can be made that the characters in Twilight went through so much and evolved into their final characters...but if you read the online post by Stephenie Meyer of "Midnight Sun" on her website, Edward's point of view is NOTHING they way he was portrayed to the previous stories. Twilight fans should definitely read that because it fills in gaps in the stories. You understand what happens to the "young perverts" in Port Angeles. You also find out Edward's "doings" with getting Angela and Ben together. Small details, but nice to know anyway.

Wow, I'm writing a novel...I'm sorry guys. :) I'll shut up now.
He’s like a drug for you, Bella. I see that you can’t live without him now. It’s too late. But I would have been healthier for you. Not a drug; I would have been the air, the sun.- Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26
Cocogurl
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Cocogurl »

RoswellianBamaFan wrote:I love both stories. Has anyone (those of you that have read the Twilight series) noticed that Stephenie Meyer really didn't stay "steady" with the voices of each character throughout the series. The way Jacob thinks (In "Book 2" of Breaking Dawn) and the way he speaks is totally different? He's one Jacob in the first three books, then in the last book, he's the pathetic little follower of .... (I don't want to spoil if anyone's going to read it)....I dunno. :) Or Bella was this little pathetic character in Breaking Dawn. I really can't voice this well enough... hopefully, you get this jist. You see it a little bit in the movie. Kristen Stewert really does look high, and I can't get over the Edward Pattinson as Edward. I think he did a good job, but I still see him as Cedric.

I REALLY didn't mean to make this a Twilight post...my main point (that hopefully I'll get to in the sentence) is that the Roswell characters were so much more true to their original characters versus Twilight. I am a total Twilight/Harry Potter/Roswell fanatic. Don't get me wrong...but that's one thing that *really* irks me about the Twilight series. And yes, an argument can be made that the characters in Twilight went through so much and evolved into their final characters...but if you read the online post by Stephenie Meyer of "Midnight Sun" on her website, Edward's point of view is NOTHING they way he was portrayed to the previous stories. Twilight fans should definitely read that because it fills in gaps in the stories. You understand what happens to the "young perverts" in Port Angeles. You also find out Edward's "doings" with getting Angela and Ben together. Small details, but nice to know anyway.

Wow, I'm writing a novel...I'm sorry guys. :) I'll shut up now.
No, I get what your saying about the characters, especially with Jacob...I really hated what happened in the final book with him. And I haven't actually read Midnight Sun because I couldn't find it on her website. I don't know if I missed it or something. But I loved the Twilight books because it actually made me wish I could be a vampire, and as much as I love vampire stories, it's never really made me wish I could become a vampire. I think besides Twilight, the only other story that made me wish I could be a vampire was actually a RFF called Eternal Ruby of Darkness by Shadowlynxbehr. I don't know if Shadowlynxbehr will ever read this, but trust me, it was that good. :D
RoswellianBamaFan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

I emailed you the link... :) Tell me what you think.
He’s like a drug for you, Bella. I see that you can’t live without him now. It’s too late. But I would have been healthier for you. Not a drug; I would have been the air, the sun.- Jacob Black, Eclipse, Chapter 26
RoswellianBamaFan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

I think the appeal in each story is the whole soulmate thing. It literally makes people swoon. The idea that no matter what mistakes you make, someone loves you no matter what. There's no room for doubt or jealousy (really...The whole Tess thing...it wasn't really "jealousy" , Liz and Max felt betrayed...with good reason...but there wasn't any unjustifiable jealousy)...the whole concept of unconditional love even when the universe (or other universes haha) seems and acts totally against the love...and it STILL works. That's awesome. And such a cool thing to leave our complicated lives to see even for a few hours. :) I don't mind all the quirks really. They're minor in the scheme of things....annoying but still minor.
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

RoswellianBamaFan wrote:I love both stories. Has anyone (those of you that have read the Twilight series) noticed that Stephenie Meyer really didn't stay "steady" with the voices of each character throughout the series?
Which is something that happened with Roswell too. The season three characters are so at odds with season one and two.
RoswellianBamaFan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

I think Isabel stayed pretty much the same...her character just "opened up"
Liz...was screwed up. Could you imagine being in love with someone and thinking, no believing, that breaking up was the best...but you loved them with all your heart...they sleep with someone, get them pregnant, the "other" girl killed (although unintentionally) your best friend, then helping your "love" find their "lost child"...I think Liz was just completely screwed up after that. Yes, I'm a Dreamer...but come on, even M/T lovers gotta know what I mean too.
M/M just kinda grew through the years.
Max...I dunno. He got on my nerves in the second and third seasons.

I could see where those seasons would be questionable, but I really think they keep their personalities throughout the series...It's very clear Maria is overbearing at times, it's very clear Isabel is OCD, Michael is the "insensitive" sensitive guy...and Liz is the "pushover" and Max is the stud...they keep their respective "roles" through the series.

Twilight *Spoiler*

In Breaking Dawn, in each book, it was like it was a different personality Bella, different personality Jacob, and Edward is written poorly. He has such potential and I wish Meyer had really spread on his character instead of *all* the bickering (although I did enjoy the Rosalie/Jacob fusses) :)

It's just my opinion...the reason I'm so "obsessed" is through my insomnia. I have read these books over and over and probably have majorly overanalyze them. I think I've actually made-up some symbolism in HP. :) I still love the stories, the character personalities are just a mild fly that zooms around my head when I read them.
dreambeliever
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by dreambeliever »

Okay so I gotta say...I love Roswell and Twilight but I would take Roswell over Twilight any day. Maybe someone will make a Roswell Saga? :mrgreen:
Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

roswell hands down
IMO the story is better, flaws and all. Twilight and Edward/Bella are like a simplified and cheaper version of Max and Liz.
(and i loved Twilight, it's not that i hate it)
B/E both declared their eternal love for each other since the very start without giving you the time to really see it and find it believable.
Max and Liz are more authentic to me. Their love was obvious even before they said the first "i love you". They started as friends with unresolved sexual tension and the unspoken bond between them was always strong. Max loved her since 10 years and they knew each other to a degree even before the pilot. Max is a less stereotyped romantic "hero".
Liz especially is not really like Bella. Liz has friends and dreams for her future, she has a life outside Max and she loves her friends and parents too. But really the big difference is that Max and Liz were a team, they were friends and lovers. Max went to her when he had a problem, they could talk about things and try to find solutions together and she actively helped him more than once. They saved each other many times.
Bella was more a damsel in distress and Edward was the guy that Stephenie Meyer dreamed for herself. In a way Bella was Stephenie Meyer getting her dream guy (if i'm not wrong she even admitted it)

Here another interesting article that compare the two
http://www.cincity2000.com/content/inde ... Itemid=290

i especially agree with the parts that i highlighted

Roswell and Twilight: Which Supernatural Sweethearts are Superior?
Written by Sherryn Daniel, Special to CC2K

With the premiere of New Moon, the next film in the Twilight series, less than two weeks away, CC2K contributor Sherryn Daniel reflects on whether the series has some hidden commonalities with a sci-fi offering of a decade ago, the WB series Roswell, and debates the merits of each.

Teens, tweens, and even young girls get flustered when they see or even think about Robert Pattinson, the sexy actor who plays vampire with a bite in the Twilight movies (based off of Stephenie Meyer’s bestselling book series). Many even seem to relate to the character Bella, the lonely, emo heroin from the books and in the movies. But what most Twilight fans don’t realize that in 1999, the WB had a teen drama called Roswell (watch the pilot here) that pretty much has the same plot with aliens instead of vampires. The show never had as much popularity as Stephenie Meyer’s creation, but it did have just enough to become a cult classic.

Twilight is the story about a lonely teenager from Forks, Washington, who gets saved by a supernatural hottie, vampire Edward, and she lets him make it his mission to protect her at all costs. Bella was saved from getting smashed by a car when her quiet yet hot biology class partner Edward Cullen uses his vampire strength to halt the car, he puts his secret and life at risk for hers. Of course, the relationship is fraught with other-worldy peril—but they’re soulmates, after all, so they can overcome all obstacles.

Roswell was based the Roswell High book series by Melinda Metz. The storyline in the first Twilight book/movie and Roswell’s pilot resemble each other tremendously. Roswell’s pilot is the story of a sensitive girl named Liz Parker (Shiri Appleby) who has lived in the hum-drum town of Roswell, New Mexico, her whole life. She has dreams of being a famous molecular biologist and has close knit friends whom she grew up with. One day, she gets shot at her family’s restaurant but is saved by her quiet yet hot biology class partner Max Evans (Jason Behr), an alien masquerading as a human teenager. By using his healing powers publicly, he puts his secret and life at risk for hers.

Both of the series have a gripping plot and an addictive romantic storyline that hooks viewers into being lifelong fans. But even though they have extensive similarities, there are distinct. It begs the question: which is best, Twilight or Roswell?

Both Roswell and the Twilight film feature voiceovers from the female leads but there is a stark difference between the tones they use. Appleby conveys warmth and sincerity when she talks about her life changing, whereas Stewart’s voiceover is shrill and simply pronounced words coming out of her mouth. Both female leads are straight-A students and highly proficient in science.

Another similarity is found in the attraction between the otherworldly hunks and their objects of desires in that Edward is strangely attracted to Bella because of her unique scent while Max has loved Liz from the moment he laid eyes on her, and they formed an alien-ignited bond after he healed her. Of course they fall in love, and Max’s alien roots gets in the way of their happily ever after. Since Bella’s scent tantalizes Edward, it makes him not only drawn to her but it draws in a murderous vampire who tries to kill her and Edward throughout the story, but they do love each other and form a bond over their time together.

Liz and Bella are both depicted as “average” girls. But Bella differs from Liz because she is portrayed as an angry, pretentious, loner who doesn’t seem to have any other dreams except chase after Edward and doesn’t put forth effort into making lifelong friends like Liz does.

Both stories feature sexual tension by way of biology (class). In Roswell, the tension can be found in Liz’s and Max’s soulful stares. However, in Twilight, the main tension consists of Bella reiterating in her head, over and over again, that yes, Edward is smoking beautiful.

Max’s alien family—his sister Isabel (Katherine Heigl) and friend Michael Gueren (Brendan Fehr)—oppose the budding relationship. The three of them play gorgeous loners in their high school. Similarly, Edward’s family members are also attractive loners who initially oppose his relationship with Bella.

One important difference between Roswell and the Twilight movie is that the secondary and tertiary characters are well rounded and also have their own storylines. In the Twilight film the audience can only grab bits and pieces from who the background characters, who are only on screen a very short period of time.

Both the show and the Twilight books and movie use Native American mysticism, and the music selection from Stephenie Meyer’s playlist (which she published on her website) list is very similar to the music selected for Roswell: largely dark with romantic tones. Older male authority figures also play important roles in both stories: Bella’s father is cop who complicates his daughter’s relationship, while Roswell’s Sheriff Valenti does the same exact thing.

Some may argue that Twilight does not resemble Roswell and that it’s better than this cancelled WB/UPN show. When I was a tween, I watched Roswell and fell head-over-heels with the story of an alien from the 1947 crash saving an every day girl. Of course, I had a mad crush on Jason Behr (the 90s version of Robert Pattinson, in my opinion). And when I watched Twilight in theaters, it felt very similar to my beloved alien TV show.

I personally think Roswell is better than the Twilight film because the pilot is warmer, wittier, and better plotted. Although both are enjoyable, you just don’t get as much realism and soul with the Twilight film as you do with Roswell. That said, Roswell also had three seasons to develop its characters and storylines, so perhaps New Moon will allow Twilight’s characters to grow and evolve the way Roswell’s characters did.
"You're what would bring me back.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
that wouldn't stop me. All my molecules would be like little homing pigeons.
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Dreamer Idolatry - M&L community || My arts
Misha
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Misha »

I posted this on another thread, and though it would also make sense here... I've read in a few places how Twilight resembles Roswell so much, but it didn't really hit me how much until I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEetnIRxo4

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I choose getting suck into the alien abyss any day over Twilight... I like it just fine, in a guilty-pleasure kind of way, but nothing can compare to Roswell 8)
"There's addiction, and there's Roswell!"