What would you have done differently?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

What would you have done differently?

Post by Zanity »

Roslover39 wrote:
:roll: Sorry :roll:

I never knew how important continuity in a tv show was

until all the inconsistencies showed up on Roswell .

I have to ask, If the show was turned over to you after Sexual Healing,
what are the changes you would have made, and what would have remained the

same :?:
Roslover39 wrote:
Chrisken wrote:
Roslover39 wrote:

I have to ask, If the show was turned over to you after Sexual Healing,
what are the changes you would have made, and what would have remained the same :?:
Hmm... a very interesting question.

Let's see... with full benefit of hindsight:
- I would *not* have introduced the character of Tess, or any other alien of similar status to Max/Michael/Isabel. Leave the focus on the six of them, possibly with a similar arc about Kyle and Jim Valenti being drawn unexpectedly into the secret.

- Instead of the 'foursquare destiny', I might have introduced a 'who's in charge, destiny or us' line, with Max/Liz finding out, say, that whatever alien forces sent him to earth INTENDED him to attract and possibly mate with a human girl. This could create some interesting angst in their relationship, without proving to be a tactical nuke like Tess turned out to be.

- Probably I'd have left a lot of similar stuff in with the Special unit, but drawn it out more... maybe they're able to eliminate Pierce and hide their tracks slightly, but still have to stay underground because they aren't able to completely compromise the whole unit, thus leaving it around for S2.

- No 'evil alien armies' stuff... the three of them, Nasedo the mysterious shapeshifter... and maybe ONE other alien character whose existence can be revealed at a suitably dramatic moment. No more. Also, the 'search for more info about aliens, about our own background' could be stretched slowly into season two, with the human characters participating more.

- I might or might not choose to include the stuff about abductions and alien posessions, depending on if I could think up good plotlines for it without the alien wars/kings plot. One or two good time travel episodes would be a must. :)

- Leave the basic idea of the gandarium, struggle against a less complex, but dangerous form of alien life that's connected to them. Develop it better though.

- Do not kill of any member of the core cast and create a murder mystery around his or her departure. Get some freakin' great plotlines for Colin Hanks -- he was one of the best actors on the show for crying out loud!!

Umm... I think I'd better leave off the list there for now. :) Any other suggestions?

I agree with alot of what you wrote, but the thing I would have changed,

is the Let's cause a riff between Max/Liz with another girl. Since

Max was a King on another planet, I would have introduced the Should

he fulfill his obligations and try to get back to Antar, or stay on Earth

with Liz
. As a hard-core dreamer and considering that Max and Liz

was the core relationship, I would have loved to see them stay together

and fight different problems instead of being on the outs so much on the

show. Agree/Disagree :?:
Roslover39 wrote:
Chrisken wrote:
Roslover39 wrote: I agree with alot of what you wrote, but the thing I would have changed,

is the Let's cause a riff between Max/Liz with another girl. Since Max was a King on another planet...
So you would have kept Max an alien king??

Personally, without the whole Tess thing, I don't really see the appeal of that plotline... but I've noticed that it seems to have a strange appeal for the dreamers who despise Tess the most. If you like that plot... then why?

I like that plot for 2 reasons:

1. I would hope that storyline would lead to Antar and what it's
all about. We've heard about it, but never seen it. I feel that alot of
different storylines could have come from that.

2. I've been watching soap-operas and dramas for a long time, and to
me, the let's break up this couple stuff has worn thin. Why not
show how commited and meant to be the couple is by having them remain together and go through tough times together. (Sorry that's the
Dreamer in me) :roll: :)
Chrisken wrote:
Roslover39 wrote:
I like that plot for 2 reasons:

1. I would hope that storyline would lead to Antar and what it's all about. We've heard about it, but never seen it. I feel that alot of different storylines could have come from that.

2. I've been watching soap-operas and dramas for a long time, and to me, the let's break up this couple stuff has worn thin. Why not show how commited and meant to be the couple is by having them remain together and go through tough times together. (Sorry that's the Dreamer in me) :roll: :)
Neither of those reasons are really that much about 'Max is a king', though. There are a lot of storylines that could lead back to whatever alien world Max/Isabel/Michael come from... there are a lot of plotlines that wouldn't involve keeping Max and Liz apart. (Though apparently none of them ever stood a chance as long as JK was in charge, because 'Max and Liz, my little star-crossed lovers, my alien Romeo and human Juliet' seems to have been his idee fixee.)

Personally, I suspect that some dreamers just love the idea of Max as Liz's alien Prince Charming (or King Charming,) who will whisk her away to his Antarian castle. Which is fine, if that's really the whole point, but at least come right out and admit it. :)
Roslover39 wrote: Ok,

That's the point :!: I can't help myself. ...I believe in the love
:lol: :D
Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

Thanks Zanity :D 8)

Do you have any other insightful words to add to this subject :?:
By French Dreamer

"Evans, take it from someone who has seen way too many telegrams go out to newly widowed wives. In the long run it's best to travel as light as you can, if you know what I mean." Jim Valenti

Coming Soon!
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

I'm not entirely certain what I would have done. But I think at that point I would have gone one of two ways:

1) He was sent here to find her, and there continued relationship leads them to more and more alien artifacts and clues to their past and their mission. Maybe eventually Liz would have to make a decision between her life (family and future at Harvard etc.) and leaving the planet with Max.

or

2) The their race came here from a dying planet, they find more members of their race that came from ships that didn't crash... but because of the attention the shooting brought they'd have problems with the FBI.

I like the timeline in Captive Hearts by Breathless

I also like the timeline from Taking a Step Back by Mary N.
Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

I would have loved to see those scenerios run on the show :!:

Ok,

What about Isabel/Jesse? Keep them together OR pair Isabel with Kyle or Michael :?:

How would the storyline go for them to get together :?:
By French Dreamer

"Evans, take it from someone who has seen way too many telegrams go out to newly widowed wives. In the long run it's best to travel as light as you can, if you know what I mean." Jim Valenti

Coming Soon!
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

I don't like Isabel/Michael pairings... It seems out of character to me. But I can see Isabel/Kyle. And I don't mind Isabel/Jesse but I never would have put them together if were writing the show.
Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

Personally, I liked the Isabel/Jesse pairing because I always
felt that she needed an older man in her life. She seemed so much older
than her years to me. But, if I were to make a change, I would
put her with Kyle. I loved the way they got along in S3.

The scenerio:

I would have had the two of them bond while coping with Alex's death.

By French Dreamer

Coming Soon!
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

It's not that I have a problem with Isable/Jesse it's the way it came about and how hypocritical it was of Isabel to do it. After all the guff she and Michael gave Max for wanting to be with Liz after she already knew their secret for her to go and marry someone who didn't know their secret.

Plus Liz had grown up with them and was a fairly known quanity when Max let her in and was getting involved with her.

Jesse was a complete unkown... and Isabel got upset when Max and Michael started looking into his background.

Like I said I don't mind Isabel and Jesse, I actually think they make a good couple but if they were going to get together I think Jesse would have to have been in a situation where he learned the truth before it happened.
Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

I agree with you, but if Jesse was allowed to find out before
he married Isabel, do you think he would have went through with it :?:

By French Dreamer

Coming Soon!
Zanity
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Zanity »

Now that depends on how he found out. If Max had ended up saving his life or the life of someone close to him... Probably.

If he'd walk into a fight between the pod squad and the skins maybe not.

There are other situation I can dream up that would lean him towards one side or the other. But it could be done believably.
Roslover39
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roslover39 »

Very Interesting :!:

This scenerio reminds me of how Jim Valenti went from bad guy to good
guy with the Pod Squad when Max saved Kyle. Yes, I could see Jesse
becoming involved that way.

If the show came back for season4, in what direction would you
take the show. Would it still be mostly Max/Liz based or would you let
another couple take the lead :?:

By French Dreamer

Coming Soon!