Things that made you want to bang your head against anything

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Re: Things that made you want to bang your head against anything

Post by nibbles2 »

After finding out that Maria knew about the aliens, why didn't Max ever talk to her? There was a lovely scene in the book series where they talked and he helped calm her down. Maria was obviously freaking out about the whole thing and instead of approaching her and showing her that he wasn't going to hurt her, Max stood back and let Isabel bully and terrify Maria until she almost spilled the beans to Valenti. He didn't even try to speak to Maria? That bugs me.

It was like Max had no sense of self-preservation at all. As he told Liz, his life was in her hands, well they were also in Maria's.
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by jake17 »

nibbles2 wrote:After finding out that Maria knew about the aliens, why didn't Max ever talk to her? There was a lovely scene in the book series where they talked and he helped calm her down. Maria was obviously freaking out about the whole thing and instead of approaching her and showing her that he wasn't going to hurt her, Max stood back and let Isabel bully and terrify Maria until she almost spilled the beans to Valenti. He didn't even try to speak to Maria? That bugs me.

It was like Max had no sense of self-preservation at all. As he told Liz, his life was in her hands, well they were also in Maria's.
really good point nibbles, the only thing I can think of is that the writers wanted to have Maria discover for herself that they weren't all that different from anyone else. Same fears, problems,insecurities ... The whole experience with maria helping Isabel with her car seeing how her mom was just as embarrassing as Amy, and at the same time how much they loved each other, maybe she began to relate more.

It felt like the more the sheriff pushed, making them seem so dangerous and different it seemed she began to feel for them and wanted to protect them. Maybe the writers wanted that suspenseful moment where you didn't know which way she was going to go, and plus that pretty much cemented her loyalty with them.

Also maybe Max thought LIz was so close to Maria that maybe she would have more influence over her than he would've. I think Maria being such an independent thinker and not easily influenced from her own views made it more realistic that she came to the conclusion on her own that they needed to be protected. Does that made any sense? I totally see what you're saying though I think Max's feeble attempt at having Isabel get along with Maria was pretty pathetic, when they were outside at school and watching Maria all nervous falling when she saw them. He told her to try and find something in common with her. Pretty half ass attempt when you consider their lives are on the line... :roll:

Maybe someone out there can help me with this one:

there is one other thing I am confused about...

OK so remember when Nasedo was shot by the FBI men and the gang brought him to the pod chamber to save him with the healing stones? So he was lying there and his image flickered back and forth from his human shape shifting form to the classic "alien" creature that we are all used to seeing... big black eyes, small body, large head etc...

Now if Nasedo was a full fledged alien from Antar meaning not a hybrid like Max, Isabel, Michael and Tess does that mean that that's what our beloved aliens looked like back on Antar when Max (Zan) was king?

They look human because their DNA was mixed with human DNA, correct? So is that the only reason they look like they do? When their mother came through after they activated the Orb she said that she used that form (human, pretty motherly form) to make them feel more comfortable, so does that mean they all look like Nasedo looked in his alien form?

But if so that's not what really bothers me, what doesn't make sense to me is that the whole time Tess and Nasedo are around Tess describes him as having no 'human' side. No emotions, no feelings of right or wrong just juty and survival. That this is why we are supposed to feel for Tess. So does this mean that the 'pure' aliens that were back on Antar are the same way? Cold, non feeling, emotionless things without a conscious for what they do? Or was Nasedo like this because he was their protector, meaning his 'only' goal was to protect the royal four. He was actually cruel if you ask me. So is this just how 'protector's' are or is this pure alien ways.

Because if this is true this doesn't at all fit in with the back story that we were fed. Vilondra betraying everyone because she was so deeply in love with Khivar, Max trying so hard to be a King for the people and do the right thing but lacking the patience to do so (as told by Larak at the summet meeting) the great love that Tess and Zan (Max)whatever! Shared. The resentment felt by Michael (Rath) his right hand man (if I got that right, because of what courtney said about him wanting to go a different way but Max refusing to listen)

Love, honor, compassion, betrayal, resentment envey (Khivar wanting the throne) greed and glory,...let's not forget hope and survival (from their parents that sent them to Earth in hopes to one day to be saved by them)

To me these are all very much Human emotions, so which is it? Where they all monotone cold emotionless heartless drones like Nasedo that looked like the classic alien form that we're all used to? Or were they somehow different? Did I miss something? Was he different because he was a shapeshifter? Did this set him apart from the rest? When Whitataker (forgive my spelling :oops: ) had Tess and Isabel trapped in that abandoned warehouse she told isabel her past life back on Antar, she described her as being beautiful, "even more beautiful than you are now" so what the hell did that mean?

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this, I've probably missed something so obvious and sound completely stupid right now but this has been bugging me for a long time. Would love to hear some opinions on this.

Thanks, Carrie :)

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

Hamlet, by William Shakespeare
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

Although it is never said one way or the other in the show, I always assumed that the Royal Four were completely different than the shapeshifters.

My reasoning is that Shapeshifters could already live on Earth, they didn't need altering. But the Skins couldn't live on Earth without help. I always thought the Royal Four must be more similar to the Skins, and that is why they were given half human bodies, so they could survive on Earth.

I think the shapeshifters must have been a different species, or genetically altered. They had to follow orders, but they are the only ones who did, and Skins couldn't shapeshift. Maybe the Shapeshifters were programed to not have feelings and just carry out their missions.

And it is totally my own wishful thinking, but I like to think that the Royal Four were humanoid in their real form, with hair, etc. :lol: For their genetic material to be compatible with human DNA (even with the help of the ganderium), it must have been pretty dang similiar to start with, I would think. Anyway that is my story, and I'm sticking to it. 8)
The world is full of stories, and from time to time,
they permit themselves to be told - Prey

RoswellOracle.com - The most comprehensive Roswell reference & archive
My Stories ~ My Roswell Store ~ My Roswell Archive

Check out Roswell Heaven!
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by jake17 »

RoswellOracle wrote:Although it is never said one way or the other in the show, I always assumed that the Royal Four were completely different than the shapeshifters.

My reasoning is that Shapeshifters could already live on Earth, they didn't need altering. But the Skins couldn't live on Earth without help. I always thought the Royal Four must be more similar to the Skins, and that is why they were given half human bodies, so they could survive on Earth.

I think the shapeshifters must have been a different species, or genetically altered. They had to follow orders, but they are the only ones who did, and Skins couldn't shapeshift. Maybe the Shapeshifters were programed to not have feelings and just carry out their missions.

And it is totally my own wishful thinking, but I like to think that the Royal Four were humanoid in their real form, with hair, etc. For their genetic material to be compatible with human DNA (even with the help of the ganderium), it must have been pretty dang similiar to start with, I would think. Anyway that is my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I like your theory Liz, I believe I will stick with that one too :wink:
thanks for answering me!
Carrie :)

"Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love."

RosDude
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RosDude »

jake17 wrote:
RoswellOracle wrote:Although it is never said one way or the other in the show, I always assumed that the Royal Four were completely different than the shapeshifters.

And it is totally my own wishful thinking, but I like to think that the Royal Four were humanoid in their real form, with hair, etc. For their genetic material to be compatible with human DNA (even with the help of the ganderium), it must have been pretty dang similiar to start with, I would think. Anyway that is my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I like your theory Liz, I believe I will stick with that one too :wink:
thanks for answering me!
Carrie :)
Yes this makes the most sense to me too, and seems like the best story to stick to. But didn't they show in Summer of 47 that the antarians (or at least the ones that crashed here) really did look like generic aliens?

~Chad~
Rowedog
Forum Moderator

Post by Rowedog »

RosDude wrote:
Yes this makes the most sense to me too, and seems like the best story to stick to. But didn't they show in Summer of 47 that the antarians (or at least the ones that crashed here) really did look like generic aliens?

~Chad~
If we assume that they were shapeshifters that hadn't changed into a human form, then that would still fit with RO's theory. And it makes sense that the shapeshifters were the only type sent to protect the pods if their bodies were the only ones who could adapt to the environment. So, I'm still going to go with the shapeshifters being a different type of aliens and that those were the ones we saw in that episode.
Alison’s Fics

Round 13 Funniest Feedbacker
Round 14 Feedbacker You Follow Around The Board (Stalkers!!)
Round 14 Most Thought Provoking Feedbacker
jake17
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by jake17 »

Rowedog wrote:And it makes sense that the shapeshifters were the only type sent to protect the pods if their bodies were the only ones who could adapt to the environment

Excellent point!

Coccy
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Coccy »

When we saw the momogram from "destiny" the woman from the message (Zan's mother) specifically said that she was using that "form" (a human woman) to look more familiar for them but it wasn't her real form. So i guess that their appearance isn't too human otherwise she wouldn't need to change it for the message (when i saw that scene i thought that she was really different in the alien form and she didn't want to scare them.). What we saw in Summer of 47 and then the scenes where we saw Nacedo or Langley's real form only further confirms that they aren't like humans. Although the generic alien form is still humanoid. When they created Max&Co they did use actual humans as donors, they wouldn't need that if the antarians were "humans" too, obviously they needed a dna that they don't have.
It's true that Nacedo and Langley could be another species (i don't remember if it was ever explained) but it doesn't automatically mean that Zan&Co weren't similar, i think. Even in our world people can have different color of hairs, eyes, skin etc etc... we're all humans but we aren't 100% identical.. what if on antar it's the same? I think that the basic form of all the people from antar is pretty the same.

The aliens that we saw in "summer of 47" always fascinated me, i love the fact that they were luminous. They remind me the movie "Cocoon" (in that movie the original home planet of the aliens was called Antarea :shock: .. )
"You're what would bring me back.
Even if my molecules were spread out from here to whatever galaxy my home planet is in,
that wouldn't stop me. All my molecules would be like little homing pigeons.
They'd all zoom to you, and then I'd re-form." - Max Evans; Roswell High - The Watcher
Dreamer Idolatry - M&L community || My arts
RoswellOracle
Addicted Roswellian

Post by RoswellOracle »

Well, just because the pod squad was from Antar, doesn't mean the shapeshifters were also from there. They could have come from another planet that the Antarians explored. We just don't know.

And who says everyone on every planet is basically the same? Even if the shapeshifters were from Antar they were obviously somewhat different than the Skins. The shapeshifters could shapeshift, and the Skins couldn't. The shapeshifters could survive on Earth, the Skins couldn't without help. The Skins had that wonky vision, and that wasn't mentioned about the shapeshifters.

Nasedo and Langly were both shapeshifters and were those cute little glowly aliens, but I think the pod squad had to be a different type of alien. They were made half human so they could live on Earth. The shapeshifters didn't need to be half human to live here. Why make the pod squad half human if they didn't absolutely have to? A lot work and time for nothing. That is why I think they must have been more like the Skins who had to have help to live on Earth.

So if the pod squad in their orig form aren't little glowly shapeshifting aliens, there is a whole universe of posibilities of what they might look like.

I'm not saying the pod squad in the orig form were humans. Of course they weren't. We are told in the show that they had no DNA. I am just suggesting that for the aliens to combine their genetics with ours, they must have been pretty dang similar to start with.

The mom-o-gram never bothered me about my theory either. True, she took human form, etc, etc, but to me that just meant their race was a little different from humans, perhaps like some of the aliens on Star Trek, like Klingons or Vulcans or Bajorans, or any of the other dozens of races they met. Basically human but with some type of little differences, blue skin, or bigger eyes, or ridges on their nose or forehead, etc.

Their mother really had no way of knowing how old the kids would be when they saw her message, so maybe she just played it safe by looking completely human, instead a little different, which might scare young kids.

Added -
I actually like to think of the pod squad's orig form the way Laurel K. Hamilton describes fairies in her Merry Gentry books. They are tall, elegant, regal, too beautiful to be human. They have hair, skin and eye colors that humans could never have, like bright reds, blues, greens, silver and gold. They have multi-colored eyes, and some have patterns on their skin.

Yes, I am a total romantic. :lol:
The world is full of stories, and from time to time,
they permit themselves to be told - Prey

RoswellOracle.com - The most comprehensive Roswell reference & archive
My Stories ~ My Roswell Store ~ My Roswell Archive

Check out Roswell Heaven!
nibbles2
Obsessed Roswellian

Post by nibbles2 »

I think the idea of the shapeshifters being different from the other Antarians is almost fanon at this stage.

The Antarians can't be too dissimilar to humans however if they were able to form hybrids of the two.