Tess: Evil or Misguided?

This forum is for all general Roswell stuff. That means, general book and show discussion.

Moderators: Anniepoo98, ISLANDGIRL5, Forum Moderators

POM

Post by POM »

Sologirl102 wrote:BURN THE WITCH WHO SCREWED UP SECOND SEASON!
:lol: This is so funny!! :D
Catalyst
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Catalyst »

Well, I'm here to agree with most of the posts (or at least most of the ones I read). I would call Tess misguided until she killed Alex. And that never even really made sense to me. I mean, would they really have fought her if she had ASKED Alex to help her decode the book? It's not like it was uncommon for them to skip school and dodge parents and whatnot. It was the writers' way of dealing with Colin leaving while pretending to solve the problems that they had written in concerning Tess. They did what they did, though, and since it's too late to change that, I have to say I think Tess was evil. I don't care how she was raised. To burrow into these people's lives, act like their friend, and then reveal that it was only to kill them? That's not misguided.

Just my opinion, though.
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

Catalyst wrote:Well, I'm here to agree with most of the posts (or at least most of the ones I read). I would call Tess misguided until she killed Alex. And that never even really made sense to me. I mean, would they really have fought her if she had ASKED Alex to help her decode the book? It's not like it was uncommon for them to skip school and dodge parents and whatnot. It was the writers' way of dealing with Colin leaving while pretending to solve the problems that they had written in concerning Tess. They did what they did, though, and since it's too late to change that, I have to say I think Tess was evil. I don't care how she was raised. To burrow into these people's lives, act like their friend, and then reveal that it was only to kill them? That's not misguided.

Just my opinion, though.
I LOVE YOU! THAT'S EXACTLY HOW I FELT, except when pre-Alex death, Tess started flirting with Max. That made her temporarily evil.
Magic Mushroom Omelets. You know what I'm talking about.

"Do it, or I'll snap your neck, pour jelly on your body, and pray to the GODS OF JELLY... to BURN YOUR SOUL in A JELLY LIKE HELL! Now GET THE JELLY!" - Dane Cook
(Sorry, I was watching Comedy Central)
Lady_vixen
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Lady_vixen »

i think Tess was both. I dont hate her becasue she wanted her destiny to come threw or becasue she slept with Max. I just think at first she was misguided but her human side had free will. So her free will allowed her to kill Alex. That was plain evil. She had gotten to know him and they had all shared times together so at some point her human side should of said, this is wrong. I actually felt bad for her until that point.

Your whole life you are being told what your life plan is, of course you want to make it happen.
I cant make accept though that Alex paid the price.
Sologirl102
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Sologirl102 »

Lady_vixen wrote:i think Tess was both. I dont hate her becasue she wanted her destiny to come threw or becasue she slept with Max.
That makes sense i guess, but honestly, after so many shrug offs, you'd expect her to give up.
Magic Mushroom Omelets. You know what I'm talking about.

"Do it, or I'll snap your neck, pour jelly on your body, and pray to the GODS OF JELLY... to BURN YOUR SOUL in A JELLY LIKE HELL! Now GET THE JELLY!" - Dane Cook
(Sorry, I was watching Comedy Central)
pooklette
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by pooklette »

I can never make up my mind about Tess. In the beginning, she just seemed like a misguided girl. Later on, it seemed to me like she was becoming desperate...ergo, dangerous. I can see how it could've happened. She was raised by Nasedo, a man who wasn't exactly overflowing with morals and charm. If something didn't go his way, he just forced it to by any means necessary. Tess was a product of her upbringing, and unfortunately she was raised by a sociopath. So, I guess she was both. Her misguided youth evolved into an evil disposition later on.
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Raychelxluscious »

pooklette wrote:I can never make up my mind about Tess. In the beginning, she just seemed like a misguided girl. Later on, it seemed to me like she was becoming desperate...ergo, dangerous. I can see how it could've happened. She was raised by Nasedo, a man who wasn't exactly overflowing with morals and charm. If something didn't go his way, he just forced it to by any means necessary. Tess was a product of her upbringing, and unfortunately she was raised by a sociopath. So, I guess she was both. Her misguided youth evolved into an evil disposition later on.
Agreed. I don't think I could have said it better myself. :)

Raychel
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party
maxandliz4ever1357
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Backpacking through Europe (ok so I'm not, but I wish I were)

Post by maxandliz4ever1357 »

I think it's kind of like a person who was abused abusing someone later on in life. Because athough people feel sorry for that person and sympathize, that doesn't give them the right to give someone else the same treatment and emotional problems.

Tess was raised badly, yes, and that did shape who she was, but there was a point where she had no right to do what she did, no matter what she went through.
<center> I was terrified and would you mind if I sat next to you and watched you smile? </center>
LovinGuerin2Much
Addicted Roswellian

Post by LovinGuerin2Much »

maxandliz4ever1357 wrote:
I think it's kind of like a person who was abused abusing someone later on in life. Because athough people feel sorry for that person and sympathize, that doesn't give them the right to give someone else the same treatment and emotional problems.

Tess was raised badly, yes, and that did shape who she was, but there was a point where she had no right to do what she did, no matter what she went through.
That's exactly what I was thinking.. well said.. :D
Raychelxluscious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Raychelxluscious »

maxandliz4ever1357 wrote:I think it's kind of like a person who was abused abusing someone later on in life. Because athough people feel sorry for that person and sympathize, that doesn't give them the right to give someone else the same treatment and emotional problems.

You're absolutely right. And that point was when she killed Alex. It was then where she went beyond the point of no return.

And though I fully believe that Tess's upbringing completely and totalled morphed her into the person she became, I also believe that Tess had the ability to change who she was to become *after* that.

As someone who knows a thing to two about child abuse, I can use this example (kind of borrowing from what you said, maxandliz4ever...). Being raised in an abusive home, a child has more of a tendancy to become an abusive parent as well. (This also goes for sexual abuse.) It's not right - by no means, but it's psychology. It's how they were brought up.

Do they have the ability to change that? Absolutely! Is it easy? No.

And because of that, I think that Tess was too weak to change herself. I think that Naesado and fed her that destiny crap too many times for her to change her frame of mind. She was brought up to *never* give in to others - to *always* get what she wanted. Whether that she meant she had to work for it, or go the easy way out by lying, cheating, manipulating...Murdering.

And it was there that Tess went above and beyond. She could have changed; she could have become a more likeable friend to the others. But she didn't.

And that's a shame.

Raychel
writing is a socially accepted form of schizophrenia

Roswell, New Mexico S1 Watch Party