Regarding "Circumventing the Rules"

The place to get all the latest news. Also, new posters on the board should come here for a general outline of our policies and practices at Roswell Fanatics.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kath7
Administrator

Regarding "Circumventing the Rules"

Post by Kath7 »

So, we've had a little problem here at Fanatics in the last 24 hours.

Someone decided it would be a good idea to post a "parody" fic whereby UC couplings were denigrated. If this wasn't bad enough, the person who did this decided to post an author's note stating flat-out that her intention was to get around Fanatics's anti-bashing rules in her post, since we never said anywhere in the Posting Guidelines that you couldn't post "parodies." And, then, oddly, she proceeded to name three specific fics in the story that she (or, rather, her "characters") found particularly offensive.

Do I even need to state what is wrong with ALL of this?

Well, apparently I do. Apologies in advance to the vast majority of our users who are probably as annoyed and disgusted by all of this as I am.

1) Stating flat out that you're looking to "get around the rules" would make it pretty clear that rules have been broken. For the record, we didn't just make up the rules to be domineering. We made them up to keep Fanatics a safe and friendly environment for all. Clearly this was not the intent of this so-called "fanfiction" (being as there was nothing Roswell fannish about it - it was designed to deliberately hurt people and I am proud to say that, no matter what our disagreements, the vast majority of Roswellians have never tried to do this).

2) If the admins and mods on this board don't tell you to NOT go jump off a bridge, I'm assuming you'll choose on your own not to, because, well, it's dumb. We trust that the vast majority of our users are not stupid (in fact, we KNOW it, and thus have great trust in all of you), and therefore don't need to be told every last thing they shouldn't do on this board. I would think that the following two guidelines would about cover all of this:

****Disruptive Behavior and/or Insubordination will NOT be tolerated.***

***Attacking and/or Ignoring the Administration Team which includes any and ALL Mods will NOT be tolerated. ***

And there's the following:

***Do not air out personal grievances publicly: ***

Oh, and there's also:

***In other words, be kind to ALL of your fellow Roswellians, whether you like them or not. We will not tolerate harassment of any member.***

So how this "fic" was designed to get "around the rules" is beyond me. In fact, it seems to have broken several.

Anyway, my point here is this: the number one rule at Fanatics is "BE KIND." This person was not. The number two rule is "FOLLOW THE RULES. IF IT'S NOT FLAT-OUT STATED THAT YOU CAN'T DO IT, REFER TO 'BE KIND'. IF YOU ARE NOT BEING KIND, THEN DON'T DO IT."

The end. Point final.

Thank you for reading.

The Admins and Mods (via Kath)
Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

WORD, SO MUCH WORD.
Last edited by Applebylicious on Mon May 29, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbangelo
Administrator

Post by jbangelo »

I just want to thank Kath and all the other Admins and Mods for your prompt attention and resolving of this situation. :D
“You know you’re right for someone when they force you to be the best version of yourself.”

Applebylicious
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Applebylicious »

Um, I'm sorry, but the point of this post wasn't how many fics you made fun of. It's that you DID, period, and it was a ridiculous thing to do.

Good lord.
Kzinti_Killer
Administrator

Post by Kzinti_Killer »

Linds has it right. I may not care for UC myself, but I don't feel the need to harague people about it. That isn't what Fanatics is about anyway. Each to his or her own.

The issue wasn't how many. One would have been one too many.

Rick
Dragons, Ogres, & Pretty Boy Lawyers Slain, Reasonable Rates, Call After 5:00 At 1-900-OhMyGodWhatWereTheyThinkingOf

"Fan fiction is a way of the culture repairing the damage done in a system where contemporary myths are owned by corporations instead of owned by the folk."
-- Henry Jenkins