OFF TOPIC: HOWEVER IMPORTANT Cherie Walley comes here...

The place to get all the latest news. Also, new posters on the board should come here for a general outline of our policies and practices at Roswell Fanatics.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IAmLongTimeFan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by IAmLongTimeFan »

Jeri,

Thanks for the update. I've been calling a little less to give the family some space. I'm glad you got to talk with Cherie. I know she loves hearing from her friends. Did she mention how the doctor's visit went Monday? Other than the extreme chemo? I forgot to mention, last week Beau told me that her lymphoma is in remission. That's a blessing, anyway. One crisis at a time is better to have to handle.

And thanks for the link on RFA - it sounds like they're trying it on lung cancer - I would think Cherie would be a prime candidate!

This is the article I sent to Jero - I sent it to Cherie's family last week. Wilma is my nephew's mother-in-law. So far the prodecure has helped her a lot. Back in January, they gave her about a month to live. What's also nice is they can do it along with the chemo. I just hope Cherie's doctors take it into consideration.
Innovative treatment gives hope to Troy woman…

Wilma Willoughby had a chunk of her liver removed withut undergoing the knife.

Instead, she went under the needle. The Troy woman on Jan. 10 underwent an innovative surgery - well, “procedure” is a better word, that didn’t require a single incision: Radio Frequency Ablation.

Willoughby, who has metastic colorectal cancer, had had surgery to remove cancerous tissue before, but now it’s not an option. The cancer has already spread to the liver and possibly other parts of her body.

Because surgery likely won’t be able to remove all her cancerous tissue, its risk outweighs its benefits.

But that’s not the case with Radio Frequency Ablation, a “procedure” offered by only one doctor in the Dayton area, Kamal Morar.

The procedure gave Willoughby’s a few pen-tip sized marks on her side and a whole lot of hope.

“I have no stitches, no BandAids, nothing,” she said.

Before, her situation was pretty grim. She was diagnosed with Stage Three colorectal cancer in the summer of 2002 and started chemotherapy that December. The cancer eventually spread to the liver, but, for a while, it appeared as though the chemotherapy was keeping it in check.

So, to let her body recover from the grueling treatment, she took a six week break in 2005. The cancer grew.

“In that short six weeks, it doubled in size,” she added.

Liver failure appeared certain, and the only way to slow it was more chemotherapy, which causes fatigue, nausea, soreness and all sorts of other side effects.

She and her husband Berry didn’t know what to do.

“We were running out of options fast,’ Barry said.

“Because it was growing,” his wife added.

Then they found one. Dr. Mohan Nuthakke at Upper Valley Medical Center told them about Morar, who he had recently met at a seminar.

They visited him that very day, Barry said.

“Dr. Morar was a lifesaver,” he added.

The day of the surgery, Morar burnt a piece of tissue that on the surface was the size of a softball with only a few small punctures to Willoughby’s skin. Part of it will grow back, he said.

The procedure has no real downside, according to Morar.

“This is a procedure that a lot of people don’t know is out there,” said Morar, who performed the procedure at Good Samaritan Hospital but wants to eventually perform it at UVMC.

Here’s how it works. A hollow needle is guided into the tumor with the help of a CT Scan or other imaging equipment. Then radio waves are sent through the needle to heat the tip only, burning the tumor.

Willoughby plans to have another scan done to pinpoint more cancerous tissue soon. Then she’ll receive Radio Frequency Ablation on those spots.

Morar said it’s unlikely he’ll ever be able to remove all of her cancer, but removing as much as possible from the liver will help Willoughby avoid liver failure - and let her eventually reduce her chemotherapy dose.

That’s one of her main goals. Willoughby said chemotherapy has forced her to “sit on the sidelines.”

”To get out in the sun and plant flowers and stuff - you miss that,” she said.

Now, however, she hopes to get back in the game.
<center>
Image</center>
jero
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by jero »

Hey LIZ!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to Cherie a little bit about the RFA... Told her you sent me the article... Emailed her the webpage I found... And the link to the Sutter Hospital in Sacramento where they're researching using RFA for lung cancer!... (when I saw that I almost :cry: cried)... She said she's been too 'tired' to do much of anything besides going to chemo, but she said she'd ask her doctor about it... :)

Later,
jero

Roswellian, and PROUD of it!

VOTE for Roswell!
Blue*Soul
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Blue*Soul »

My gawsh...just saw this now...

Just wanted to hop on the bandwagon and say please, please get better soon!

Wishing you all best and praying,

Blue*Soul xx
FallenMagic
Addicted Roswellian

Post by FallenMagic »

I'm so sorry to hear that Cherie is not doing well. I've had a passing acquaintence with her for the past couple of years and I think she's a wonderful person. I'll definately be keeping her in my prayers.

Cherie pease please get well soon! We need you around here! :)

Hugs
Rida
<center>There are endings and beginnings and then there are Crossroads; and, somehow, in the end all that's left are Pieces Of A Dream</center>
Ti88
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Ti88 »

prayers and thoughts with you and your family during this time.
Roselle
IAmLongTimeFan
Enthusiastic Roswellian

LATEST NEWS 4-14-06

Post by IAmLongTimeFan »

Just got off the phone with Tammie - Cherie's daughter-in-law. Cherie was napping after having had a chemo/radiation treatment this morning. Things are still about the same. They're working on building an addition so she'll have her own room in the house with them. They're also looking into alternative treatments and have some leads. They're collecting all her records and hope to do more next week to find additional treatment for her. They haven't done anymore scans yet but she's had chemo/radiation everyday this week so hopefully it'll help. Cherie's still got the pressure and pain so she spends a lot of time sleeping.

She mostly wanted me to send Cherie's love and to thank you for your continued support and to let you know to keep it coming.

Have a happy Easter, everyone. Keep Cherie in your thoughts and prayers. :)
<center>
Image</center>
Roswell4ever1
Addicted Roswellian

Post by Roswell4ever1 »

Thank you for the update LongTimeFan!
Sarah695
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Sarah695 »

Charles: Thank you for posting to tell us about Cherie.

Your grandmother is a special and wonderful woman.

I am sending my thoughts and prayers out to Cherie and her family.

Liz: Thank you for the update.

Maggie
magikhands
Obsessed Roswellian
Location: Trapped in my slashy mind with Max, Kyle, and Michael

Post by magikhands »

My sweet Cherie! My prayers are with you dearie *big HUG!*

Thanks everyone for their updates after keeping in touch with Cherie. I know that chemo really drains a person and even getting on the computer is a huge chore. Please...for those of us not near her, keep up with the updates.

And Cherie, when you do have the energy to check this out, I MISS YOU! *smooches*

Chris
Magikhands' Little Roswell Obsessions
Come see my published print and e-books
Visit my website and blog
Angel99
Enthusiastic Roswellian

Post by Angel99 »

Hi all!
Just found this thread and wanted to say thank you, Charles, for the informations about Cherie's health and Lizzie & Jero too ... it makes me so sad to hear about it :(

Get well soon, Cherie!!!